Your question

New build not working properly

Tags:
  • CPUs
  • Hard Drives
  • New Build
Last response: in CPUs
May 28, 2008 11:32:33 AM

Hi there. I have a new build, which for once I didn't put together so I'm not sure of 100% everything.

Anyway, it's supposed to be a new machine using new parts and it looks new, except for what happened in the post. It arrived in the post with the side Window panel loose, the hard drive tray in a diamond shape (instead of rectangle), the hard drive banging around loosely in the hold and the rubbish plastic bits that slide the hdd into place broken (stupid design, a design where I either need to buy more plastic holders or buy extra long screws).

So I sort it out and rearrange everything, the only thing I had on hand was a copy of Windows Vista Ultimate 64bit so I went ahead and installed that everything was fine other than what I think were driver issues (sound and such). I installed the drivers for the 8800GTS 320MB BFG OC and tried to update the Windows Vista Experience points and that's when the problem started, the computer just lost all power. I've tried several times same thing happens. Tried it on Fifa and it worked fine other than sound as for some reason the vista 64 drivers failed to install but that wasn't my concern. Now, several times (more often than not) the computer will lose power when booting into Windows, or once it hits the desktop. I installed Speedfan and coretemp after the Vista points issue and the temps looked okay, not enough to do this anyway. The CPU was between 40-60. I work at Maplin so I could go down later to test the PSU which I think may be the problem, if it was faulty. Everything seems to be working fine other than the fact it completely loses power.

The specifications I am using on my computer are:

Amd Athlon 6000 which I believe looking at the heatsink is retail.
NVIDIA BFG 8800gts 320mb
500gb harddrive 16mb cache
Gigiabyte m575li-s4 motherboard
2 x 1GB Kingston 667, 2 x 1GB Crucial 667
20x dvd-rw
650watt Kimpro PSU, WIN-650PE.

I bought this mainly because of price and the guy has sold a lot of other computer with 0 complaints. Everything looks fine apart from this issue. My two thoughts are PSU to be checked and try RAM with 1 stick at a time. Is it worth opening my other computer and putting the x600 in and see if it works then? It'd be a pain but the reason I ask is because the PSU appears to only have 1 12v rail with just 20 amps and I can't find any info on the PSU and I've never heard of Kimpro. I don't think the PSU is powerful enough because I'm pretty sure the card requires something like 26a on a single rail.

More about : build working properly

May 28, 2008 12:00:03 PM

Yep, sounds like it needs a better PSU. I'd be very worried about the long-term health of the hard drive, given how it was banged around. Download the diagnostic software from the manufacturer's website and have it do a heavy-duty burnin test for at least 24 hours.
May 28, 2008 12:24:42 PM

^agreed. i would try to test the system with other psu (before rushing and buying a new one). for you to test your rams (they dont seem like making the problem), you'll need to test them using memtest84+.
Related resources
May 28, 2008 12:42:32 PM

Okay thanks Mondoman, will do :) . I'm using the computer now and it's working fine, I removed the 8800 and replaced it with the x600 (since my other power supplies don't have a PCI-E 6 pins on them). It updated the Windows Experience score and everything is working fine.

The only problem now appears to be a driver issue. I went to http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Support/Motherboard/Driver_M... and ran the drivers earlier for both chipset and audio, both failed. The only real problem is the audio so I'm redownloading now and apparantly it's going to take 1 hour and some more :/ . According to windows I have the most up to date driver (although the one that keeps failing is newer). The sound comes out distorted especially when people sing or their are loud noises, it also appears that sound is only coming out of one speaker when using this system. Damn Vista xD
May 28, 2008 1:05:36 PM

You should have sent it back as damaged in transit. You could have lots of future problems because of the impact it received in transit. I have never heard of that PSU, what did it cost? Is it very light? If so, get a decent PSU.

Mike.
a b à CPUs
May 28, 2008 1:27:40 PM

^2nd, that. Come on. The PC is obviously severly damaged in transit and you are willing to just accept it and deal with it?

If it arrived damaged, you should have immediatetly contacted the seller and let him know, took pictures, etc. HE then could have filed a claim with the freight company, and you or he neither one would have been out of any money. If it was dropped hard enough to break the drive housing, it was dropped TOO hard.
May 28, 2008 8:08:51 PM

I've been running tests on everything and the thing appears to be fine. The only item I need to test now is running a proper test on the HDD like suggested. The PSU is fine also, but is insufficient to run the graphics card at load it needs replacing. Everything looks brand spanking new except the plastic hdd holders although the hard drive was wedged in so I'm not sure if it could have rolled around so I'll have to do some tests. The whole thing ended up at £255 including delivery. It's good for the money although I'm very inclined to ask for a refund since the item is not fit for purpose since the PSU isn't good enough. At the very least I'll have to ask him to send me a free PSU that is capable of running the card.
May 29, 2008 4:32:25 AM

I highly doubt that any "free" PSU the vendor sends you will be capable of running your system without some risk of the PS and/or system melting down/blowing up someday. I'd just ask for a refund of £5 (the value of that PS), and buy your own decent PS for £30-£60.
!