OC'ing phenom II 940 BE

luvkush

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2009
About overclocking the phenom II 940, how far can i push it from just using a stock fan and heatsink without it overheating?
Also if i were to get a really good fan and heatsink, how far could i push it before it overheats. Its 3.0ghz stock btw.
Also whats the highest voltage i can put it upto without it overheating?

If anyone has any answers im all eyes thanks...

shiftstealth

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2009
what are your temps looking like atm? i would advise taking the multiplier up to 16-17 to start out(you might be able to get up to 18)which comes to 3.2-3.6ghz(im also going off of what my kuma core lets me do,and what ive seen., with the stock cooler you will overheat before you can change the power i think, i personally wouldnt go over 60C

if it doesnt boot you can just reset the cmos.

PrangeWay

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2008
Just start creeping the multiplier and voltage up.
My chip got 3.4 at stock voltage, 3.6 at 1.4 volts, stopped their till I get water cooling, even though temps are fine (30's and 40's).
Supposesdly 3.8/4.0ghz takes 1.55 or so volts but that is going to vary.

btw AMD recomends not breaking that 1.55 with stock cooler.

conflict5

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2006
Just got mine last week runs great. Like most people I have had a budget, I wish I had 2 grand to spend on a computer but for 1 grand I got a darn nice system. Now I can play Supreme Comander with no glitches... I have not tryed to oc yet but I am sure when I get some of the more demanding apps installed a small oc would be great good advice! keep it up!

Conflict5

FHDelux

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2008
Usually the stock heatsinks are designed to work at the chips stock settings, so they will work ok up until a point then just really not work at all cooling wise. I dont have any first hand expirience with the Phenom IIs, but i would imagine you could eek out around 200 - 300 Mhz before the heatsink really was in trouble.

Honestly though, if you are going to dabble in overclocking, spend 30 bucks on an aftermarket heatsink, you dont have to get something super high end and fancy to beat the cooling performance of the stock heatsink.

Good luck to ya.

luvkush

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2009
Thnx everyone for your answers, this has helped me =) ...Im pretty new to OC'ing as anyone can tell, and to the word turd iunoe what that means, but its prolly somethin bad huh? and yea why do you hate amd so much? jealous...

@ luvkush

Don't have one yet but seriously considering it, but very interested in the responses you'll be getting.

As with all AMD Black Edition CPUs the multiplier is unlocked meaning you can increase the multiplier while leaving all the other setting stock except for the Vcore CPU voltage.

You may be able to raise the multi from 15 to 16 or 17 without even increasing the Vcore Voltage at all, but at some point in raising the multiplier you'll have to increase the Vcore voltage to get the CPU to stabilize.

Mem Clk x Multi = Speed
200mhz x 15X = 3,000mhz or 3Ghz Stock or default setting
200mhz x 16x = 3,200mhz or 3.2Ghz
200mhz x 17x = 3,400mhz or 3.4Ghz
200mhz x 18x = 3,600mhz or 3.6Ghz
200mhz x 19x = 3,800mhz or 3.8Ghz Etc.

Testing and creeping up to where your goal is is the way to go about it, the highest 940 vcore I've seen listed is 1.5v but as for me I'd keep it under that, my present 9950 Phenom is a 125W cpu and its vcore is presently set to 1.4250v to run a 16x multiplier.

According to reviews I've read so far the 940 is one of the best overclockers AMD has released in a long time.

Even though I do not as yet have a 940BE in my hands, I do have extensive experience overclocking AMD CPUs with unlocked multipliers and presently do have a 9950 BE overclocked to 3.2Ghz.

Keeping it cool is the key to being able to get the overclock you may be after, investing in a really good aftermarket air cooler will probably give you a whole multiplier increase over a stock AMD heatpipe cooler.

And even better with Water Cooling but I personally had a bad Water Cooling experience and do not reccommend it, but thats your choice completely.

Anyhow I hope this thread yields some interesting responses as more get their hands on the 940BE !

unclefester

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2008
4ryan6, hey
You must of came to this thread after they pulled Sharken's post (I think that was his sig) fanbio posted quote "you can't polish a turd" unquote. When I thought about people buying petrafied moose poop back in the seventies (can't believe they were so gulluble, but i guess they bought pet rocks too) I was laughing so hard when I started typing I couldn't even get "yet your in the AMD section" right.
I don't think he came back in to this thread after that.

But unforchunatly you can polish a turd and make money on it to.LOL

I know I shouldn't have even lowered myself to fantard level, but when I thought about it I couldn't help myself (sick sense of humor)

So saying that ; Sorry! Luvkush

Order the PII 940 today and will post back if I get Time and we can compare notes.

I figured either something was missing or you had brain lock and was posting in the wrong thread. ROFL

Getting yourself a 940 ! Alright UF post your results here man, I'll be keeping an eye on this thread.

unclefester

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2008
@Luvkush, what platform are you using (ie... mobo,memory,video card).Just curious?

@Ryan, it should be here on Friday. I'll give it few days to break-in before I start pushing er, to see what she's made of.

@Conflick5, welcome to THG.
What do your system specs look like? Are going to do any clocking on that baby?

@PrangeWay , and welcome to you as well.
What does your machine consist of?

luvkush

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2009
@unclefester

-Dragon platform
-MSI DKA790GX Platinum AM2+/AM2 AMD 790GX
-CORSAIR DOMINATOR 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 1066 (pc2) 8500
-MSI R4850-T2D512 Radeon HD 4850 512MB 256-bit

No idea if Phenom II chips works with these lol hopefully it does...

unclefester

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2008
My system looks like this:

-ASUS M3A79-T Deluxe 790FX/750SB
-OCZ Reaper 4GB (4x1) 8500@1066
-EVGA 260core 216 896MB 448-bit

And don't laugh at me Ryan, for running an Nvidia video card on a ATI CrossFire Board.

unclefester

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2008
@ Luvkush our systems should be really close in performance.
I'll be interested to see how your MSI board does with a PII in it. Most of the reviews I've seen have all been done on ASUS, Foxxconn, or Gigabyte boards.

Wheres that coming from UF ?

I've never laughed at you about anything.

Well except for the Turd Polishing. :lol:

I do have a curiosity only for your setup and it doesn't have a thing to do with your choice of graphics card, its going to a quad core with a 4 x 1 = 4G memory setup.

However I believe you said you're running WinXP Pro 32bit and in that case you can always drop to 2G of your present memory, but if you go to a 64bit OP/SYS the 4 modules will cut your overall performance.

I'm presently running a AMD quad with 4G 2 x 2 of 1066 system memory with WinXP Pro 32 with no problems what so ever, WinXP is only directly using 2.6G of the available memory though.

It would be an excellent learning experience if when you get your quad, you'd take the time to test a 2 x 1 vs 4 x 1 performance setup with the WinXP OP/SYS, to see if theres a difference between the 2, since actually 2G of system memory has always been the sweet spot for WinXP32, but does that hold true with a quad core CPU?

If you would consider testing that out, since you have the modules to test with, I would be very interested in the results say in 3DMark06, if not thats no problem, I'm just curious is all. Ry

FYI I have full intentions of getting a Phenom II, thats why I bought my present setup, however my 9950 is OCd to 3.2G thats a 600mhz OC from stock, I've had it running at 3.4G rock solid but my Vcore was higher than I wanted to run it continuously on air cooling, so my curiosity is? where can these PH IIs actually be OCd on air?

Its got to be enough of an increase for me to jump in the pool, if you know what I mean?

@Luvkush

Sorry I'm not trying to hijack your thread, I just have concerns and curiosities about this new AMD offering and I appreciate the opportunity to learn from you guys experiences before I spend the money for one.

My Setup is;
ASUS Crosshair II Formula M/B
4G 2 x 2 Corsair Dominator
BFG 8800GT BIOS Flashed to 700/1753/1000
I have 2 of the BFGs and can run SLI but presently just running a single card setup

unclefester

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2008
Ryan, I couldn't pass up 2 more matching sticks for $26 bucks after rebate. Heard OCZ was going to quit making the D9 version, thought I may need um down the road.
I'm using XP-Pro also, it recognizes 3.25 even with 896 0n the video card. Though when I added the 2nd pair I had to drop back to T2 command rate. When I put the PII in I''ll start with 2, add the second 2 and performance drops then it's back to 2.

Checked at UPS and I'll have to wait till Monday for my new 940. Was looking forward to playing with my new toy this weekend. Man I'm getting anxious. It's gonna be just like Christmas all over again. LOL

I've reinstalled WinXP Pro to run my main gaming machine, I was running Vista64 HP Edition a lot of people say they have no problems with Vista64 but I did from the beginning and after about 6mths of tolerating its weirdness I finally had enough!

Since I paid for the OP/SYS I'll reinstall it on an independent machine after SP2 is released for it, anyway not going to bore you with the long story, if you want to know more you can PM me for all the details of my Vista64 discoveries.

I know what you mean about feeling like Christmas, We're computer addicts UF! :lol: