HDD recognized/functional for a while, then is lost

Magno X

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2009
Hello everyone,

I tried searching the forum for a similar problem, but couldn't find one. Sorry if I didn't search hard enough.

I have an internal 500GB WD hard drive installed as a secondary drive in my PC, mainly for storing my iTunes library, videos and other media. What's been happening lately is that the OS will recognize the drive for a while, and it will function normally - I will be able to read from and write to the drive fine. Then, after a while, the drive will become inaccessible and Windows will no longer recognize it. After this happens, the HDD light remains lit constantly. If I shut down and then turn the PC back on, the system will again see the disk and be able to access it, only to lose it again after a while.

The fact that it works for a while makes me think it's not a loose connection or anything like that. There are no loud noises or grinding or anything like that coming from the computer.

I've got an HP a1350n, 1GB RAM, running Windows 7. Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!

Sonuds like impending complete HD failure. Regardless of what it turns out to be, make sure you have that data backed up NOW.

Don't write anything more to it, and - after backing it up - you can try another cable and mobo port, assuming its SATA (couldn't find specs quickly, manual shows both types). If the same thing happens with different cables and on a different port - yet your "C" drive works - get a new disk.

shabaa

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
Replace your data cable (IDE or SATA) and check/ change the power plug to the drive with a different one from your power supply harness and see if the problem re-occurs.....

Magno X

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2009
Thanks for the responses.

I've been using the "islands of functionality" to backup my data and I've backed up everything I would die without.

I will try your solutions and see if anything works. Thanks!