Sign in with
Your question

Can I Setup RAID 1 Without loosing my Data?

Last response: in Storage
July 9, 2009 5:24:10 PM

I have a 1TB secondary hard drive that I store a lot of movies on. I just got a second 1TB hard drive and I want to set the two up in RAID 1 for some data reliability. This is my first try at RAID. Can I do this without having to clear the first 1TB drive? If it helps, I am using Windows 7 RC and my motherboard is Gigabyte GA-MA78GM-US2H 780G AM2+ mATX. Thanks!
July 10, 2009 7:54:49 AM

Even if you can, I'd still suggest you back up all your data first. Something may go wrong while you're building the RAID array, and poof! Goodbye data!
m
l
a c 168 G Storage
July 10, 2009 4:56:50 PM

I cannot address the question you asked about setting up raid-1, but...

The value of raid-1 for protecting data is that you can recover from a hard drive failure quickly.
It is for servers that can't afford any down time.
Recovery from a hard drive failure is just moments.
Fortunately hard drives do not fail often.
Mean time to failure is claimed to be on the order of 1,000,000 hours.(100 years)
Raid-1 does not protect you from other types of losses such as viruses,
software errors,raid controller failure, operator error, or fire...etc.
For that, you need EXTERNAL backup.
If you have external backup, and can afford some recovery time, then you don't need raid-1.

I would suggest that you install that backup drive in an external enclosure like this:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Use a backup program like acronis true image home. An extra benefit is that the backup data will be compressed, and empty space is not backed up, giving you the ability to store the backed up data in a fraction of the space.
m
l
!