Can't seem to run 4GB RAM

courtney4

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2006
Hello.

I just upgraded my motherboard/CPU/RAM and have been getting some wierd problems. I tried putting in 4 sticks of RAM and the install of vista would just keep freezing.

I have found that If i use only 2 RAM sticks and I run 2GB of RAM my PC seems to work fine, I could install and boot into vista and it appears as though the PC will work (it stayed on for about 20+ hours without any problems). With 3/4GB it crashes very often and I get a BSOD at the same place when trying to load Vista (error messages suggest memory problem for sure), If i try load into safe mode, I can get into vista fine whilst running 4GB RAM, but it can sometimes crash (note - it does show 4GB of RAM in system properties).

At first I thought it was bad RAM, however, I have tried many different combinations and have run memory tests. It appears as though all the RAM is working correctly as they all passed their own memory test. However, If i put them all in at once...I get errors on memory test.

I googled my problem and found that microsoft released a fix for a very related problem, but it didn't work. I also tried updating the BIOS without any luck.

specs:
Q6600
Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L
OCZ DD2 - 1GB sticks

Any help appreciated, thank you.

rodney_ws

Splendid
Dec 29, 2005
Well, if you failed MemTest86 you can eliminate Windows as your problem because that test loads without Windows. So I take it you have tested each stick of RAM individually? If not, that should be your first step.

courtney4

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2006
Ok I shall try that, thanks

Just another quick question if i may. Is RAM supposed to get hot? I mean the metal heat thingy on the outside does get very hot. My old RAM never seemed to.

courtney4

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2006
Interesting...I checked the current voltage and it was a 1.8v. According to OCZ, the RAM should have between 1.9 - 2.0V. I tried 1.9 without luck, but here I am on 2.0V and I booted into vista for the first time with 4GB RAM!

I think you hit the nail on the head! cheers