How to transport digital rear projection TV - need advice

Last response: in Home Theatre
August 10, 2005 5:04:31 PM

I have an older Sony digital rear projection TV (can't remember the model
number
right now), but it's a 53" 4:3 with 16:9 viewing capability. I need to
transport it about 1000 miles via pickup truck or SUV.

Can rear projection TV be laid on it's side, I seem to remember that is a no
no. Please advise on how this can be done.

Thanks!

-Wayne
August 10, 2005 7:03:36 PM

Juke wrote:
> I have an older Sony digital rear projection TV (can't remember the model
> number
> right now), but it's a 53" 4:3 with 16:9 viewing capability. I need to
> transport it about 1000 miles via pickup truck or SUV.
>
> Can rear projection TV be laid on it's side, I seem to remember that is a no
> no. Please advise on how this can be done.
>

> Thanks!
>
> -Wayne

If, as I suspect, it's a CRT/rear projection (one where you have
convergence controls)..do NOT lay it down! Transport well padded and
standing up. Need I say tightly stapped and as unmovable as possible?
Anonymous
August 10, 2005 8:16:59 PM

"Curmudgeon" <curmudgeon@buzzoff.net> wrote in message
> Juke wrote:
>> I have an older Sony digital rear projection TV (can't remember the model
>> number
>> right now), but it's a 53" 4:3 with 16:9 viewing capability. I need to
>> transport it about 1000 miles via pickup truck or SUV.
>>
>> Can rear projection TV be laid on it's side, I seem to remember that is a
>> no
>> no. Please advise on how this can be done.
>>

>> Thanks!
>>
>> -Wayne
> If, as I suspect, it's a CRT/rear projection (one where you have
> convergence controls)..do NOT lay it down! Transport well padded and
> standing up. Need I say tightly stapped and as unmovable as possible?

Why not? We move them on their sides all the time. Other than making sure
that the cabinet can support the weight and you don't scratch it, there
should be no problem. CRTs have come in various sets mounted in many angles
from vertical to horizontal over the years. It is important to not jar the
set violently regardless of the way it is carried. We see sets damaged by
movers with broken mirrors, rarely see CRT damage. If anything, the mirror
is safer with the set on its side than standing up where it is not
completely vertical.

Leonard
Anonymous
August 11, 2005 5:57:18 PM

I have a Samsung HL-R5067. The BB where we bought it is 30 miles away and
we wanted to take it with us that day to set up and watch it, rather than
wait a few days for delivery. The salesman said to not lay it down.

Well, the only way to get it into the SUV was to lay it down. I figured, Oh
Well, and we drove home with it. At home, I set everything up, turned it
on, and everything was fine. That was three months ago and still no
problems.

Generally, I would say, if you can avoid laying it down, probably better to
do so.

!