Sign in with
Your question

EIDE to USB connector for internal HDDs

Last response: in Storage
July 10, 2009 1:17:13 AM

I am buying a new motherboard that lacks an IDE connector. I have two IDE (aka Parallel ATA) hard drives. I know that I could
  • Copy the data to my SATA drive
  • Use an external IDE to USB 2.0 converter
    However, I would like to mount the drives in internal 3.5" bays.

Can someone recommend a cable that supplies two EIDE (40-pin) connectors which in turn connects to a 10-pin USB 2.0 header? I can power the HHD's using a 4-pin connector from the PSU. I have two 10-pin USB 2.0 headers if that becomes necessary. Worse comes to worse, I can burn two SATA connections.

If the converter needs power other than what is coming off the USB then it should also attach to a 4-pin PSU cable.

Thank you,
    Mike
    July 10, 2009 3:55:59 AM

I searched for an hour before starting this topic. After posting, I varied the search words and came up with this:
    http://www.cablesunlimited.com/products/Prod_Individual...

1. Brand CABLES UNLIMITED
    2. Model USB-2100
    4. Type USB to IDE
    5. Specifications Cable Length: 4 ft.
    6. Cable Type: USB 2.0 to IDE Bridge
    7. Port Connectors: 1 Type A USB Male to 1 IDE Female.
    9. Features Fully compliant with BOTH the Standard Specification of USB 2.0 & USB 1.1
    10. Supports ATA / ATAPI CD-ROMs
    11. Support 3.5" and 2.5" HDD
    12. Add a portable storage device to any PC USB port
    13. Low power consumption allows device to be bus powered from USB connector

The key is that the device itself is powered by the USB connection. If I am reading this right, the AC power is for the HDD.

I would have to buy a USB header-to-female socket cable to plug into the mobo. Or I can use the 2-port back panel bracket just left tied down internally. Hmmm.
    !