Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Horror story: how to waste a QX9650 possibilities with IT department

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
Share
May 28, 2008 9:43:57 PM

Just to put my story in context: I’m working for a company who made casino gaming machine. I’m an electronic hardware engineer and my hobby is to build and fix PC, from hardware to software.
At my job, we have an IT department, like every other industry, who is managing PC and network. We have decent PC, fast server, viability…
A basic PC for programmer is: E6700, 1Gig, WD Raptor 36 Gig (to be forced to save files on network), case Thermaltake wing, Antec Phantom 500W and a Intel 975X mobo. Graphic card is a nVidia Quadro nv280/285/290.
For our department, we got some better PC. Back to 2005, they begin to build PC with P4 EE edition, like the 955. At this time, I do not really understand what the Extreme mark on CPU was meaning. The only thing I knew is that CPU cost a lot for a little performance gain over a normal version and consumes a lot of power.

Three years later, they continue to build insane PC. Now I can really say that they really really don’t understand what the meaning of Extreme and globally how to build a PC who will suited our needs.

They have installed, to my coworker, a Core 2 QX9650, on an Intel X38 mobo, 4 gigs (running XP 32 bits by the way), with a monstrous Thermaltake 1000W… So when I’ve seen this setup, I’va asked: “are going to overclock it, this is why is build for? This is the only reason to get an Extreme CPU, to get a unlocked multiplier and the easiest way to push the machine to 4GHz… You have the power supply and the mobo to do it, so lets’go”

They reply “no, we only got this processor for the gain of performance over the …” they cannot tell me from what they need to get a more performance… So you don’t want to overclock OK… Why the X38 mobo? It’s made to do crossfire, for gaming... Hello a P35 mobo will do the job and it cost 50% of the X38… And so what’s the **** meaning of the 1000W in that PC? To run a Quadro nv290… Suckers… they are using the second X16 slot to put a COM card at PCIe x1…

I’m very frustrated because it’s a big waste of money. For a fraction they could buy a E8400 (a dual core is more than enough for our jobs), a P35 mobo with one PCIe x16 and 2 PCIe x1 and a corsair 550W…

This is not the end of the story. One week later, I’ve got an upgrade on my PC: a beautiful QX6700, to be not overclocked because it’s bad… My previous CPU was aE6700 so basically I pass from 2 cores to 4, at 2.66GHz… And my CPU runs at 70°C idle, moving to 88°C at 75% load with 5 minutes load. I said it to the marvelous IT manager but he said: your PC is working? Yes but the temps are very high, maybe a new heatsink or at least reseat the actual ones?” “No your PC works, that’s all ” No comments…

You know what: I really hate them. In fact the manager and the buyer. Because they buy the costly PC without knowing the capacities or the need of the worker.

That’s my horror story of the last month.




May 28, 2008 10:02:58 PM

Big deal, at least those will do the job ! Try needing that power and doing your job on crappy pentium 266 mhz, because the company is too cheap, that is worse !
May 28, 2008 10:11:15 PM

what you should do is buy yourself an e4600 or something cheap and swap it out when they're not looking. then when they are going to upgrade your machine swap them back again. you just scored yourself a qx9650... w00t

j/k
Related resources
a b à CPUs
May 28, 2008 10:17:49 PM

^+1

Im pretty sure they won't know :lol: 
May 28, 2008 10:27:02 PM

Wow... thats a huge waste. But atleast it isn't your money but that makes me cry inside thinking they have a Qx9650 and aren't even oc it at all. Just switch out the processor. I switched my friends Q6600 with my e4300. He never noticed :)  But i did give it back after a week :p 
May 28, 2008 10:54:26 PM

well i hate to break this to ya but in the "company world" they make absolutely sure that everything is to not make any since and be costly for no particular reason.

the company i work for actually has meetings about a previous meeting to make sure that nothing is to ever make since! so you do have to give them credit for going to great lengths to find ways to waste money.

and i tell you no lie either! another thing my company likes to do when it comes to wasting money is when all the executives like to relocate their whole departments around 3 buildings once every year. and sometimes even twice. how can anyone get any work done when they gotta move to a new cubicle every year?
a b à CPUs
May 28, 2008 10:57:35 PM

@OP+doubletake 33 : What company's do you work at ?!?!
May 28, 2008 11:09:46 PM

Talk them into buying machines from you amd make some serious bank.
May 29, 2008 3:07:35 AM

Shadow I'm working for a company in Quebec, Bluberi Gaming Technologies. Globally it's a good company, 250 workers. Just the IT had too many power and nobody check what they are doing with money

To Reynod : first I'm not a programmer, second no progs that I’m using are multithreaded, third I'm just saying that the IT should care of what they are buying and not using stuff because it the more expensive on the market. Take the QX6700, are you going to tell me that CPU is in a good environment right now. 70C at idle is normal? Those people should understand PC and hardware better than me.

Yes I have thiniking of buying a Q6700 and pick the QX6700 for myself. Nobody will notice the difference. Same thing when the Q9650 will be released. A QX6700 for 300$CAD. A bargain !
May 29, 2008 3:29:19 AM

Sounds to me like maybe the employees get the first crack at buying the "old" hardware from the company, or make that "certain" employees
May 29, 2008 3:31:34 AM

yeah, but if you ever need the power at least you have it, better than needing it and not having it.
May 29, 2008 3:43:41 AM

sisley_111 said:
Just to put my story in context: I%u2019m working for a company who made casino gaming machine. I%u2019m an electronic hardware engineer and my hobby is to build and fix PC, from hardware to software.
At my job, we have an IT department, like every other industry, who is managing PC and network. We have decent PC, fast server, viability%u2026
A basic PC for programmer is: E6700, 1Gig, WD Raptor 36 Gig (to be forced to save files on network), case Thermaltake wing, Antec Phantom 500W and a Intel 975X mobo. Graphic card is a nVidia Quadro nv280/285/290.
For our department, we got some better PC. Back to 2005, they begin to build PC with P4 EE edition, like the 955. At this time, I do not really understand what the Extreme mark on CPU was meaning. The only thing I knew is that CPU cost a lot for a little performance gain over a normal version and consumes a lot of power.

Three years later, they continue to build insane PC. Now I can really say that they really really don%u2019t understand what the meaning of Extreme and globally how to build a PC who will suited our needs.

They have installed, to my coworker, a Core 2 QX9650, on an Intel X38 mobo, 4 gigs (running XP 32 bits by the way), with a monstrous Thermaltake 1000W%u2026 So when I%u2019ve seen this setup, I%u2019va asked: %u201Care going to overclock it, this is why is build for? This is the only reason to get an Extreme CPU, to get a unlocked multiplier and the easiest way to push the machine to 4GHz%u2026 You have the power supply and the mobo to do it, so lets%u2019go%u201D

They reply %u201Cno, we only got this processor for the gain of performance over the %u2026%u201D they cannot tell me from what they need to get a more performance%u2026 So you don%u2019t want to overclock OK%u2026 Why the X38 mobo? It%u2019s made to do crossfire, for gaming... Hello a P35 mobo will do the job and it cost 50% of the X38%u2026 And so what%u2019s the **** meaning of the 1000W in that PC? To run a Quadro nv290%u2026 Suckers%u2026 they are using the second X16 slot to put a COM card at PCIe x1%u2026

I%u2019m very frustrated because it%u2019s a big waste of money. For a fraction they could buy a E8400 (a dual core is more than enough for our jobs), a P35 mobo with one PCIe x16 and 2 PCIe x1 and a corsair 550W%u2026

This is not the end of the story. One week later, I%u2019ve got an upgrade on my PC: a beautiful QX6700, to be not overclocked because it%u2019s bad%u2026 My previous CPU was aE6700 so basically I pass from 2 cores to 4, at 2.66GHz%u2026 And my CPU runs at 70°C idle, moving to 88°C at 75% load with 5 minutes load. I said it to the marvelous IT manager but he said: your PC is working? Yes but the temps are very high, maybe a new heatsink or at least reseat the actual ones?%u201D %u201CNo your PC works, that%u2019s all %u201D No comments%u2026

You know what: I really hate them. In fact the manager and the buyer. Because they buy the costly PC without knowing the capacities or the need of the worker.

That%u2019s my horror story of the last month.


I work in the TSS (Technology Support Services) Department at Ernst and Young and by no means do we use or need anything like that, but what you guys are using doesnt bother me that much. Yea they cost alot, but apparently the company can manage to budget them or they wouldn't buy them (Hopefully). What bothers me the most is the compelte and total disregard for how hot that he processor was running and the comment of "No your PC works, thats all!" That is not at all how that should be handled, but alas...I digress! :??: 

Best,

3Ball
May 29, 2008 3:45:15 AM

qx6700 is not a good cpu, the q6600 g0 is better

ps: new sticker on my machines:
May 29, 2008 8:40:57 AM

But at least the QX6700 has a unlocked multiplier. Would be helpful for me right about now.
May 29, 2008 9:08:54 AM

JDocs said:
But at least the QX6700 has a unlocked multiplier. Would be helpful for me right about now.

What is the use if it is running hot and you can not push FSB or voltage one notch
May 29, 2008 9:30:31 AM

yeah, what i wanted to say, if i start with horror stories with companies. then they will never end. i mean my company just blocked all the other Ports. i wont be able to use any online gaming, video over ip, voice over ip, FTP. (i do online gaming after working hours. believe me. lol). but thing is it is stupid. n they have beautiful 32MBps link!

o well. just swap the processors. they wont even know.
May 29, 2008 9:30:36 AM

kad said:
What is the use if it is running hot and you can not push FSB or voltage one notch


Push the voltage a notch, give the a fsb a bump, fry that cpu. The board will reset when you change cpu anyway. Then say to the IT guy " I told ya it was running hot !!".

Pretty wicked, a scene for "The Office".
May 29, 2008 9:43:32 AM

I would bet that the IT staff kindly take the old hardware off the companies hands....they are doing the company a favour....really.
May 29, 2008 10:05:44 AM

kad said:
What is the use if it is running hot and you can not push FSB or voltage one notch


Water cooling...
May 29, 2008 10:18:03 AM

yer, next they'll probably reccomend a qx9770 upgrade, and will kindly dispose of the obselete 9650's
May 29, 2008 12:58:41 PM

Maybe it jsut because they didn't found an QX9770 they don't buy it..

**** typo, edit : Water cooling? I think they don't know it exist for PC, only for cars...
May 29, 2008 1:00:10 PM

Er... Sisley...

Water cooling for PCs is old news...
a b à CPUs
May 30, 2008 9:56:44 AM

sisley_111 said:
Shadow I'm working for a company in Quebec, Bluberi Gaming Technologies. Globally it's a good company, 250 workers. Just the IT had too many power and nobody check what they are doing with money

To Reynod : first I'm not a programmer, second no progs that I’m using are multithreaded, third I'm just saying that the IT should care of what they are buying and not using stuff because it the more expensive on the market. Take the QX6700, are you going to tell me that CPU is in a good environment right now. 70C at idle is normal? Those people should understand PC and hardware better than me.

Yes I have thiniking of buying a Q6700 and pick the QX6700 for myself. Nobody will notice the difference. Same thing when the Q9650 will be released. A QX6700 for 300$CAD. A bargain !



Did I post in this thread ??

wtf ??
June 3, 2008 3:27:09 AM

do you know what computer i am using in the office?
a P4 !!

ok, tell me which company you work and i going to apply there
i want to play with the QX6700 =D
a b à CPUs
June 3, 2008 6:45:02 AM

Come on! The DET (dept. of education) give us Core 2 Duos @ 2.66GHZ w/ 2gb of RAM, but they are sooo slow... why? because their programs are all held by servers which get bandwidth flooded by really slow connections... If you use IE (Portable FF all the way) an scroll up and down too quickly then the computer freezes and requires reboot. Even if type too fast in Word (OpenOffice Portable is faster, amazingly) or even a simple filter in Photoshop will render the computer useless (GIMP...) (no pun intended).

All of my portable programs run rings around whatever everybody else uses. Its such a waste tho to see them upgrade as much to a QX9650 and still not be able to play smooth SD video hosted by the servers...

And I haven't even started on the internet...
a b à CPUs
June 3, 2008 11:06:50 AM

^Hey, at least you are lucky. We are stuck with P4s at school. +1 for FFPortable. Portable apps FTW!
a b à CPUs
June 3, 2008 11:37:54 AM

^ Hey, are you getting a part time shift soon? I'm getting one at the local computer shop... I can easily imagine bringing my HTPC to work... at least that way I shall have no restrictions. Plus I don't need to use a Sempy...

Anyways about school... I got assigned to a Celeron D...
June 3, 2008 1:09:48 PM

I honestly dont know why people needs those beastly computers to work. I honestly would love to use a PIII if they upgraded the freaking AS400 server. Really.

Most of us that work in "Offices" we really dont need that much. My windows XP is all tuned up to hell and back and my performance wouldnt improve if they slapped a quad core here. Honestly i think most IT crews are completely bonkers.

To be straight i think they are fairly stupid. They blocked everything here in my work (from youtube to Hi5) and i still see videos. Just takes a proxy and some imagination. Lemme just finish my VNC back and home and tunnel it. They are so stupid. For F*ck Sake. The thing is, this is costumer support department, its fairly big and most of us are enthusiasts/techie guys. So they can Surfcontrol my ass.

I just dont OC this Clawhammer im working on, because it will have almost none to none efffect in performance.
June 3, 2008 2:45:53 PM

At work I use a Pentium 3 at less than 500mhz with an old Voodoo graphics card. I forget how much ram it has.

My Razr2's processor is clocked at 500mhz. I know there's no clock for clock comparison between a P3 and whatever Motorola's got in there but I found it funny :) 
June 3, 2008 5:41:43 PM

OP, what company do you work for again?

i work on a celeron @2.4 (socket 478) with intel gma950 graphics and 2.5 gigs of ram.

i can do my job just right now that i've upgraded the memory with a 2 gig kit (i do a lot of database work and i needed the extra memory). would I like to have a core 2 processor on my work computer? sure. would I want a core 2 extreme? NEVER!

i would be happy with a pentium dual core to be honest because i really don't see the need for more. I'm actually considering installing one of my own old cpu's on my work computer to make it a bit faster (my old trusty p4 2.8 northwood). in the near future we might upgrade some of our pc's to low end amd dual cores and mobos with 740G integrated graphics. there's really no need to spend that much $$ on office hardware nowadays.

on the other hand should my company decide to spend 1000+ to upgrade my pc i would make damn sure i get good components for it. i'd still get a low end intel processor but i'd buy a nice quiet case and psu and a lcd screen too. My work computer sounds like a freakin leafblower and my eyes really hurt from the CRT i work on.
a b à CPUs
June 3, 2008 7:36:15 PM

radnor said:

To be straight i think they are fairly stupid. They blocked everything here in my work (from youtube to Hi5) and i still see videos. Just takes a proxy and some imagination. Lemme just finish my VNC back and home and tunnel it. They are so stupid. For F*ck Sake. The thing is, this is costumer support department, its fairly big and most of us are enthusiasts/techie guys. So they can Surfcontrol my ass.


Yes, they block THG forum at school... but why aren't you doing your work like your meant to. I support the use of proxies, but only to access falsely blocked information that is important. You should concentrate on doing your job... but then again I could never pay much attention in math class... that's why my average of 94% is so low...

Nah, the problem I have is the 'big brother' monitoring that they have...

navvara said:
OP, what company do you work for again?

i work on a celeron @2.4 (socket 478) with intel gma950 graphics and 2.5 gigs of ram.

i can do my job just right now that i've upgraded the memory with a 2 gig kit (i do a lot of database work and i needed the extra memory). would I like to have a core 2 processor on my work computer? sure. would I want a core 2 extreme? NEVER!

i would be happy with a pentium dual core to be honest because i really don't see the need for more. I'm actually considering installing one of my own old cpu's on my work computer to make it a bit faster (my old trusty p4 2.8 northwood). in the near future we might upgrade some of our pc's to low end amd dual cores and mobos with 740G integrated graphics. there's really no need to spend that much $$ on office hardware nowadays.

on the other hand should my company decide to spend 1000+ to upgrade my pc i would make damn sure i get good components for it. i'd still get a low end intel processor but i'd buy a nice quiet case and psu and a lcd screen too. My work computer sounds like a freakin leafblower and my eyes really hurt from the CRT i work on.


Ask your boss for an upgrade, if not just ask him/her if you could bring in a better computer monitor from home. Seriously, I know it costs money but there are some health benefits of less eye strain. I really think office hardware has evolved so much it doesn't need to be very bleeding edge anymore...
June 3, 2008 8:12:04 PM

Do you suppose that there might be some kind of a kickback scheme in the works?
June 3, 2008 8:22:42 PM

well extremely costly pc means better company image, maybe that explain why.

just how some rich people but fastest in the world when they dont even goto track days,but just to prove they are rich with the expensive fast car.
a b à CPUs
June 3, 2008 8:45:43 PM

amdfangirl said:
^ Hey, are you getting a part time shift soon? I'm getting one at the local computer shop... I can easily imagine bringing my HTPC to work... at least that way I shall have no restrictions. Plus I don't need to use a Sempy...

Anyways about school... I got assigned to a Celeron D...

I build PC's for neighbors, relatives,friends,etc. I'll be in Canada during most of the summer so possibly not much work there, but I do plan on doing some case mods,HSF mods, LN2/Dry Ice (if I can get them :D  )etc there.
June 3, 2008 8:49:13 PM

is he 8400GS any good you got there shadow?
a b à CPUs
June 3, 2008 9:20:56 PM

Nah... that's not my main gaming rig. It's used 98% of the time for work (ie, school projects,etc), with a little bit of HalfLife DeathMatch/Halo CE in there. My main gaming rig is at my uncle's house (goes there every friday to game).

I got that card for ~$20, can't complain much. That rig works well for light CS3/GIMP, SolidWorks, Vagas Studio.

Main gaming Rig:
Q6600 @3.1Ghz
P35-DS3R
750GB 7200.11 Seagate
8800GTX
PP&C 750
4GB DDR2 800
Can't remember HSF and RAM brand
XP x64/Linux

June 3, 2008 9:58:06 PM

thats cool.but only 3.1ghz?you dont wanna rince it??
a b à CPUs
June 3, 2008 11:28:29 PM

That chip unfortunately wasn't one that would OC well with out huge voltage increases :(  . It's G0 stepping btw. If I remember correctly the VID for that chip was on the higher side too.
a c 96 à CPUs
June 4, 2008 5:00:04 AM

sisley_111 said:
Just to put my story in context: I’m working for a company who made casino gaming machine. I’m an electronic hardware engineer and my hobby is to build and fix PC, from hardware to software.
At my job, we have an IT department, like every other industry, who is managing PC and network. We have decent PC, fast server, viability…
A basic PC for programmer is: E6700, 1Gig, WD Raptor 36 Gig (to be forced to save files on network), case Thermaltake wing, Antec Phantom 500W and a Intel 975X mobo. Graphic card is a nVidia Quadro nv280/285/290.
For our department, we got some better PC. Back to 2005, they begin to build PC with P4 EE edition, like the 955. At this time, I do not really understand what the Extreme mark on CPU was meaning. The only thing I knew is that CPU cost a lot for a little performance gain over a normal version and consumes a lot of power.

Three years later, they continue to build insane PC. Now I can really say that they really really don’t understand what the meaning of Extreme and globally how to build a PC who will suited our needs.

They have installed, to my coworker, a Core 2 QX9650, on an Intel X38 mobo, 4 gigs (running XP 32 bits by the way), with a monstrous Thermaltake 1000W… So when I’ve seen this setup, I’va asked: “are going to overclock it, this is why is build for? This is the only reason to get an Extreme CPU, to get a unlocked multiplier and the easiest way to push the machine to 4GHz… You have the power supply and the mobo to do it, so lets’go”

They reply “no, we only got this processor for the gain of performance over the …” they cannot tell me from what they need to get a more performance… So you don’t want to overclock OK… Why the X38 mobo? It’s made to do crossfire, for gaming... Hello a P35 mobo will do the job and it cost 50% of the X38… And so what’s the **** meaning of the 1000W in that PC? To run a Quadro nv290… Suckers… they are using the second X16 slot to put a COM card at PCIe x1…

I’m very frustrated because it’s a big waste of money. For a fraction they could buy a E8400 (a dual core is more than enough for our jobs), a P35 mobo with one PCIe x16 and 2 PCIe x1 and a corsair 550W…

This is not the end of the story. One week later, I’ve got an upgrade on my PC: a beautiful QX6700, to be not overclocked because it’s bad… My previous CPU was aE6700 so basically I pass from 2 cores to 4, at 2.66GHz… And my CPU runs at 70°C idle, moving to 88°C at 75% load with 5 minutes load. I said it to the marvelous IT manager but he said: your PC is working? Yes but the temps are very high, maybe a new heatsink or at least reseat the actual ones?” “No your PC works, that’s all ” No comments…

You know what: I really hate them. In fact the manager and the buyer. Because they buy the costly PC without knowing the capacities or the need of the worker.

That’s my horror story of the last month.


That's the way it is where I work as well. I work in a research lab at a certain university that you can probably figure out (hint: look at my name and avatar). The IT guys basically have carte blanche by the lab manager to get "whatever they think is appropriate" when asked to get another machine. Here's my daily work machine, built about 6 months ago:

CPU: Q6600
Motherboard: Intel 975XBX
RAM: 2x2 GB probably DDR2-800
Case: CM Centurion 5
HDD: WD Caviar 750 GB
Graphics: NVIDIA Quadro NVS 440
Keyboard: Logitech MX 3200 keyboard + matching mouse
Monitor: Dell 2007FP
OS: Windows XP x86_64

I use the machine to do some work in MATLAB (or should I say "DRMLAB," but that's a different story- just don't upgrade to R2008a, okay? Calling MS for activation is an absolute walk in the park compared to dealing with MathWork$.) It is obvious that nobody really used the computer for more than typing MS Word applications as there was just the no-password Administrator account and then Guest plus very little in the way of installed programs except MS Office and few documents. The HDD was also mostly unformatted as the OS was installed on a 50 GB partition and the rest was never formatted as nobody needed the extra partition for data. I do run the computer through its paces a little, mostly because of MATLAB's propensity to eat RAM like Rosie O'Donnell eats buckets of KFC.

There are two other machines similar to this one in the lab as well as the most they get used for is e-mail and office apps. One is otherwise like mine but sits in an Antec P180 and has 8 GB RAM and the other is also in a P180 and has 8 GB RAM but an E6700 in place of the Q6600 and a Radeon x1900 XT in place of the NVIDIA Quadro. Those machines also have Dell 2407WFPs attached as well. I was curious why the machines were so overbuilt but that was answered when I needed to grab an Ethernet patch cable for somebody in my lab and stepped in Mission Control. The three IT guys each had a triple-head display made up of Dell 2007FPs or 2407WFPs and there was a fourth triple-head mount newly installed but sans monitors. I asked them about the computers in the lab and they said that "you can build three of those for what one Dell costs." I was about ready to call shenanigans when I saw a few new parts boxes sitting on the floor ready to get put together for a fourth system and one of the guys said that they are enthusiasts too.

I understood what he meant as those guys probably are running old garbage systems at home as they don't get paid squat. Work is about the only place they'd be able to play with anything nearly as nice and you do have to get your fix somewhere. I know that feeling as it's only about every four to five years that I get to do a complete rebuild for myself. I pretty well run them until they don't and only then get a new one as school is darn expensive and working a couple of months during the summer doesn't come close to cutting it. And when I say I use things until they are dead, I mean it. I am trying to use my old 2002-era laptop as a MythTV frontend but it is barely hanging in there. The LAN NIC is dead, the CD-ROM is dead, the HDD threw off 324 SMART errors in the last 3 days and the internal LCD panel is pretty well borked as everything is garbled and fuzzy. The power connector is loose and the machine shuts off if anything wiggles the machine even slightly. It has to be booted from a floppy and then runs in diskless mode.
a b à CPUs
June 4, 2008 11:17:30 AM

^why the Quadro card? Why not a 8800GTX :D 
a c 96 à CPUs
June 4, 2008 12:25:55 PM

Shadow703793 said:
^why the Quadro card? Why not a 8800GTX :D 


Beats me. Perhaps it is because the NVS 440 is more expensive (NewEgg has them listed for a little over $400 each.)
June 14, 2008 6:12:59 PM

radnor said:
I honestly dont know why people needs those beastly computers to work. I honestly would love to use a PIII if they upgraded the freaking AS400 server. Really.

Most of us that work in "Offices" we really dont need that much. My windows XP is all tuned up to hell and back and my performance wouldnt improve if they slapped a quad core here. Honestly i think most IT crews are completely bonkers.

To be straight i think they are fairly stupid. They blocked everything here in my work (from youtube to Hi5) and i still see videos. Just takes a proxy and some imagination. Lemme just finish my VNC back and home and tunnel it. They are so stupid. For F*ck Sake. The thing is, this is costumer support department, its fairly big and most of us are enthusiasts/techie guys. So they can Surfcontrol my ass.

I just dont OC this Clawhammer im working on, because it will have almost none to none efffect in performance.


Just word of the wise. Even though you are able to create a VPN or SSL tunnel to your house and use your server as proxy for your connections they are monitoring it. The can't decrypt your tunnel but they know it's being used based on layer 7 monitoring. Doesn't matter if you use non-standard ports they still can monitor it.

Now if IT department likes you then they won't block your tunnel connection but they are usually required to log everything until HR requests it. Big brother? Yes, long as YOU are using THEIR equipment and network resources which is standard practice to protect themselves from lawsuits.

Darkk
June 14, 2008 10:47:55 PM

To sisley: Do your IT department build the PCs? I think there are probably certain people in your IT department that wet themselves at the excitement of handling a QX9650, 1000W PSUs etc. I know I would be pretty excited if I was given a QX9650 to play with at work, I have to manage with a lowly Xeon E5440 ;)  What I'm trying to say is these IT people are buying what they would personally like with your companies money, enjoying the fun of building the PCs, testing and configuring, after that they are not so bothered someone else gets to use it as the initial excitement is over. I'm sure everyone can understand how fun it is to go and buy all the components for a build, having it all laid out and unpacking the boxes, getting the first look at the $1000 processor etc.
June 14, 2008 11:41:25 PM

i had that experience too!

when the first time i build a Q6600 based system, i was looking forward to delivery as if im the owner to it. after putting it all together and load up CPU-Z i was like"ooooooooooh!a quad core!!!!OMG!!!!" but after OCed it and do possibly everything to it i was like "when CAN you take it back?" to the rightful owner of the rig.

this can be seen as a TOY.we all love to PLAY TOYS no matter the age.
a b à CPUs
June 15, 2008 1:33:54 AM

^ +1 except replace quad core for energy efficient dual-core and OC'd with underclocked and the system is mine...
June 27, 2008 1:59:25 PM

Looks like a good position for someone to come and have a talk with upper management.

I would write up a proposal that included some nice hardware specs from your favorite supplier [Dell/HP/whatever] and show how much money could be saved and still have high end systems.

I spend about $1300 on PCs at work through Dell. That gets us a nice Core2Duo @2.4GHz or more and a video card that can push dual 24" screens, DVD burner, etc.
June 27, 2008 2:20:57 PM

Darkk said:
Just word of the wise. Even though you are able to create a VPN or SSL tunnel to your house and use your server as proxy for your connections they are monitoring it. The can't decrypt your tunnel but they know it's being used based on layer 7 monitoring. Doesn't matter if you use non-standard ports they still can monitor it.

Now if IT department likes you then they won't block your tunnel connection but they are usually required to log everything until HR requests it. Big brother? Yes, long as YOU are using THEIR equipment and network resources which is standard practice to protect themselves from lawsuits.

Darkk


Don't worry mate, IT here isn't that bright. They log everything, without a doubt, but they hardly pay attention to it. As stupid as it is, they took about 30 days to block all youtube/video sub-domains (like .fr .br .uk). Blocking the .com was easy.
Even if they aren't as looney as i think they are...they are real slow.
June 27, 2008 3:36:01 PM

amdfangirl said:
^ +1 except replace quad core for energy efficient dual-core and OC'd with underclocked and the system is mine...


so you got your new AMD rig yet?
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
August 12, 2009 7:12:53 AM

I took core 2 quad Q9650 L2 12 mb but my system shows pentium 3 xeon
!