Sign in with
Your question

SAS drives?

Last response: in Storage
July 10, 2009 6:43:33 AM

I own a N7700 Thecus NAS.

I have recently learned that Thecus has released a new model called N7700 SAS. From what i know, it supports SAS hard drives.

My question is, will I be able to add something or upgrade my N7700 to be compatible with these SAS hard drives?

What is the difference between SAS hard drives and standard SATA drives in terms of speed and price.

Thank you in advance for your answers

Vino

More about : sas drives

July 10, 2009 7:50:41 AM

All I know is that some SAS links are backward-compatible with SATA drives, so maybe all you have to do is acquire the hard disk controller of the newer NAS and install it on your old one?
a b G Storage
July 10, 2009 2:19:05 PM

At this point in time sas isn't really cost effective for the performance gain so you might just wanna hang on to what you got for a while.
Related resources
a b G Storage
July 11, 2009 6:13:58 AM

SAS is a wonderful type of drive if you want to run a server. If you want it for home use , forget it. They are generally made to handle large numbers of simultaneous requests, not provide peak performance for one or two transfers, and are quite expensive per gigabyte (in many cases, making velociraptors look like a good deal).
July 12, 2009 8:07:43 AM

N7700 and N7700SAS have different backplane, you can't just upgrade your N7700 to be compatible with SAS HDDs.

About speed, SAS HDDs have a rotational speed of 15000 RPM and SATA HDDs only have 7200 RPM.
a b G Storage
July 12, 2009 5:40:11 PM

both sata and sas can be found in 10,000RPM
a b G Storage
July 15, 2009 11:52:17 AM

Quote:
What is the difference between SAS hard drives and standard SATA drives in terms of speed and price.

In terms of throughput you'll be limited by the controller and GbE of the N7700 SAS so the advantage of using SAS drives faster than 7200RPM is really for higher IOPS.
If it's just between SAS and SATA of same class (e.g. 7200RPM nearlines) then what SAS offers over SATA is really just those. In particular TCQ has many performance advantages over NCQ under multi-user usage.

Quote:
My question is, will I be able to add something or upgrade my N7700 to be compatible with these SAS hard drives?

Swapping the backplane for alone should be suffice to convert SATA version of N7700 to SAS as both uses two Marvell 88SE6340 controllers.
July 16, 2009 6:50:15 PM

SAS = Serial attached SCSI. it is basically a drive that encapsulates the SCSI commands in the SATA protocol. Hence why SAS controllers will generally also work with SATA drive.
!