Nvidia and their physics integrated processing controller

bpogdowz

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2007
Nvidia is currently working on implementing PhysX into its CUDA language, which is supported by all GeForce 8-series GPUs. When this is ready to go, Alibrandi said that owners of these GPUs will ‘simply need to download the CUDA PhysX drivers from Nvidia,’ and that ‘hardware acceleration will then be transparently supported for applications making use of the PhysX SDK.’

DarthPiggie

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2008
man, stupid CPUs limiting us again, we need mre beastly CPUs, especially for RTS games where particle calculations are important, and when you have thousands of individuals in-game.

bpogdowz

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2007
I think the aquisition of aegea by nvidia has pushed back some of the release dates for major games implementing the technology being taken advantage of for just the independant PPU and were previously in development under the sole impression that they would have to code their game explicitly for the Physx card. It makes sense now I think cause they're re-writing the code over this time for Nvidia.

bpogdowz

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2007
taken from nvidia site:

The only way to get real physics with the scale, sophistication, fidelity and level of interactivity that dramatically alters your entertainment experience will be with one of the millions of NVIDIA PhysX-ready GeForce processors.*

*Note: NVIDIA will deploy PhysX on CUDA-enabled GPUs later this year. The exact models and availability will be announced in the near future.

Today’s AGEIA PhysX processor provides an exponential increase in physics processing power and soon PhysX-ready GeForce processors* will be enabled to take gaming physics to the next level.

So I'm guessing they have not released any cards with what I'm talking about yet? I suspect they should have it in at least the 9900.

added cost? it used existing geforce gpu's right? like they said supports 8 series - i wonder wether it uses some of the vga power or wether you need a dedicated GPU to do it etc....

bpogdowz

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2007
They might option you choice of an independant GPU to PP but it would have to be SLI and how dumb would it be to sacrifice all the GPU power for just physics calcuations. You would get a massive drop in FPS. It's like going from 2/3video card SLI to 2/1 in graphics with added physics. Might as well just use a physx card..problem is it uses a PCI slot and the newest mobos only have two. So either say goodbye to your X-Fi or Killer NIC.

Unless it can access the chips excess resources/performance to do physx, but i was thinking along the lines of second video card as in a cheap 8400GS etc doing the work - i perhaps even the cores of even the geforce5's were more advanced then the physx card.

If you think about it, once that card pumps out over 30 fps the rest is excess - perhaps it will borrow pipelines and split the chip a little for it....