Your question

Is 'svhost.exe' a worm or virus?

Last response: in Windows XP
Anonymous
a b 8 Security
August 27, 2010 4:29:47 PM

Hello,

Lately I have been getting a message from my firewall:

"...svhost.exe is trying to connect to aly222.no-ip.org [82.78.57.175] using remote port 1101 [PT2-DISCOVER - PT2-DISCOVER]. Do you want to allow this program to access the network?"

I don't know what it is, so I click "No." My virus program (Avast) doesn't find it harmful.

So, can anyone tell me what svhost.exe is?

I've searched for information about it. Some people on discussion boards seem to confuse svhost with svchost and it's not the same thing (Is it?).

Any help with this question would be appreciated. Thanks.

More about : svhost exe worm virus

a b 8 Security
August 27, 2010 6:49:34 PM

Quote:
Hello,

Lately I have been getting a message from my firewall:

"...svhost.exe is trying to connect to aly222.no-ip.org [82.78.57.175] using remote port 1101 [PT2-DISCOVER - PT2-DISCOVER]. Do you want to allow this program to access the network?"

I don't know what it is, so I click "No." My virus program (Avast) doesn't find it harmful.

So, can anyone tell me what svhost.exe is?

I've searched for information about it. Some people on discussion boards seem to confuse svhost with svchost and it's not the same thing (Is it?).

Any help with this question would be appreciated. Thanks.

If you've read the article linked to in Post #2 you now know that more than one SVCHost will be running at any time. To find out if any of yours are doing something suspicious, go Start then Run abnd in the Open box type cmd /k tasklist /svc (including the spaces) then hit Enter. Right click anywhere on teh black form that follows and go to SelectAll then press Enter. That puts all the text into the Clipboard. Open a Reply form here and paste it back using Control and V together.

Somewhere will know which instance is unsafe and advise.

m
l
Related resources
Anonymous
a b 8 Security
August 28, 2010 12:56:11 AM

Thanks for the replies, but my concern is not really about "svchost.exe". It's about "svhost.exe" without the "c".

m
l
a b 8 Security
August 28, 2010 6:22:24 AM

Quote:
Thanks for the replies, but my concern is not really about "svchost.exe". It's about "svhost.exe" without the "c".

[#0005ff]Sorry - I missed that bit. It's definitely a malware threat and you need something powerful like MalwareBytes which you can safely download free from http://www.malwarebytes.com.[/#000ff]
m
l
Anonymous
a b 8 Security
August 28, 2010 5:07:11 PM

I'll try those things out. Thank you all. :) 
m
l
!