Overclocking CPU affecting RAM stability, Ram is not OC'd!

billiardicus

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2008
System:

GA-P35-DS3L
Q6600@3.3ghz, 1.35 vcore
512 8800 GTS
Earthwatts 500
Xigmetek S1283
Crucial Ballistix 800mhz, 2x1gb and 2x2gb @ 4-4-4-12 @ 734mhz
Vista 32

The system works fine with the 2x1 sticks. Passes small FFT's for 8 hours, passed memtest86 for 6 hours, and all my gaming, etc use for the past 10 months.

I wanted to upgrade to more ram. The first kit I tried caused BSOD's and failed memtest86 after ~30 minutes. I figured it was bad ram, so I RMA'd. Crucial sent me Tracer Ballistix (I think it's the same as regular Ballistix except for LED lights). Anyway, the new set also causes BSOD's and memtest86 fails after ~30 mins. Did Crucial really send me two defective kits in a row (and both sticks had errors)? So I turned the Q6600 back to 2.4ghz, set everything on the mobo on auto (kept the timings at 4-4-4-12). Ran memtest86 again. Last time the sticks always failed test 7. This time, they passed test 7. I will let it run all night (I shut it down after an hr...FYI memtest is much slower at the standard clock speed), but I think for some reason the 2x2gb sticks aren't stable with my overclock where the 2x1 sticks are fine.

Why? Is it the higher FSB? Keep in mind, at no time did I OC these sticks or run them at tighter timings then what they're manufactured to do. Everything I know about OC'ing says if you don't OC the ram, they're independent of your OC. Does anyone understand this?

billiardicus

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2008
I read somewhere that you should reset cmos when installing new ram, so I did that...doesn't help.

I should also add that my 2x1 sticks are rated for 2.2v which is what I ran them at for months, and then they stopped working at that voltage. Now they only work at 1.9v, and they work perfect at that. The mobo won't even post at 2.2v with them. I don't understand this either.

V3NOM

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2008
because crucial needs to pack double the RAM into the same space, they ahve to sacrifice some speed. just the facts of the matter. just make sure the new sticks run at the exact factory specs, and dont expect them to OC like a 1GB stick would.

btw, dont leave the mobo voltages at auto, put it at 2.1v or 2.2v or whatever the factory specs are. auto voltages will undervolt it, and is almost certainly contributing to instability.

billiardicus

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2008
I appreciate your reply, but you did not understand my post. I haven't OC'd the new sticks. They are in fact underclocked at 734mhz. I've set timings and voltage on the mobo in the factor specs. They won't work with my overclocked cpu.