Thermal Paste In Mobo CPU socket :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

ashmista

Distinguished
May 17, 2008
Hey Guys

I've gone and done the stupid thing and got some thermal paste on my motherboard's cpu socket.

I have two possible fixes I can do and a 3rd I need your advice on:
1) tediously removing it with a needle.
2) using isopropyl and cloth or a swab what would be the technique in this without bending pins? though it would take me a couple of days to get my hand on this substance)

And possible 3rd) mineralised methylated spirit?!?

would the spirit work? if so how would I use it?

Also I think I may have bent a pin :| how would I fix this?

JDocs

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2008
I don't think the methylated spirits would be a good option. Alcohol is used as a cleaning agent thansk to its corrposive properties...

The pin, I've done that once or twice. :) Just use a pair of tweasers.

Is this a Socket 775 board?
The pin you may be able to straighten with a needle or a toothpick.
I would not risk misaligning the pins by rubbing on them with anything. I would take the mobo out of the case, then first get as much off as possible using something like a toothpick or a small paintbrush (possibly dipped in 91% isopropyll alcohol), and then I would turn it on its side and thoroughly irrigate it with 91% alcohol using something like a squirt-gun. Then give it plenty of time to dry off before re-building outside of the case to test it, then replacing it in the case.

byrddogg77

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2006
The last time I seen someone get thermal paste in their CPU socket, they cleaned it out best they could, but when they mounted their CPU it got fried. I might recommend just getting a new motherboard to replace it before you have to buy a new Motherboard & a new CPU.

GL

dragoncyber

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2007
Use standard rubbing alcohol,very smalll amounts at a time on a fine bristle #1 or even #0 paint brush(usually found in a hobbie shop or art store).

You will need a couple of these brushes, and also some Q-tip brand cotton q-tips, the reasoning behind this is because other brands shread to much once wet. You will use this to absorb (gently) the dirty alcohol once applied to the thermal grease.

Gently direct the thermal grease out of the pins with the brushes first and swab it up with the Q-tips. Never spray anything into your board, as the forced moisture may find it's way inside of a crevice that it won't be allowed to dry quickly.

This is a tedious process, and must be performed gently and very cleanly done. Do not turn on your board until after you have looked at the socket with a magnifying glass and have certified that it is completely clean and dry.

Good Luck!

jevon

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2004
I was going to say the same thing as byrddogg77.. friend lost a CPU this way unfortunately just over a year ago. If you have an old CPU lying around definately test with that first. But if it's a new CPU then I don't know if I'd risk it, esp if the paste is not a 'non conductive/electric' brand (ie not MX-2 or something like that). Might be able to RMA the board if you're sneaky about it and depending on where/when you got it.

Good luck!

Tatts

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2008
DO NOT use rubbing alcohol! Use at least 91% isopropyl alcohol.

Rubbing alcohol is about 70% isopropyl alcohol with 30% water and oils mixed in with it. The oils are for lubricating the skin (for rubbing/massage, hence the name). You don't want to leave oil deposits where you can't get at them. And that much water might take a long time to dry in small places.

I don't even know if isopropyl alcohol will work at all; it's not a universal solvent. Call an electronics repair shop and ask what they use. There are sprays used for cleaning electronics that won't harm components.

But whatever you do, don't use rubbing alcohol.

halcyon

Splendid
I got a dab of AS5 of my Rampage Formula's CPU socket and I was able to dab off the AS5 with cotton swab (spelled Q-Tip) with little bit of rubbing alcohol on it. The CPU has worked as prescribed ever since.

ashmista

Distinguished
May 17, 2008
Their mobos and cpus have fried? Ouch well i've read in loads of places and with proper cleaning its been fine, see the trouble with replacing the board is its a £180 board so a no no there, i have and old skt 775 cpu laying around i could test it with after cleaning.

So the best choice would be using a really small paint brush dipped in isopropyl?

Then irrigating it? Hmmm wouldn't corrode anything would it?

Thanks guys

G

Hi.. i had now the same problem.
I used an alcohol ~90% and rubbed it with a cotton. i have not finished cleaning and left a small amount of grease .. but i have bent some pins though when i mounted all up it is working .
my cpu is working fine. though what problems can not accord?
p.s. i have 775 socket and before it for some reason the temp is 95c. though my computer is ice cold.
what may be the problem.

please answer asap cause i want to kill my self. with the most painful way.

jeffery6803

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2009
hey same problem as you after i had some bent pens the temp went way up after i straightened them out
i believe pens were damage also remember the cpu thermal sensor for the mother board is usually located right under the cpu i would say remove cpu and check for pins that might not line up correctly i eventually did but only after i saw a huge spark fly out from my cpu socket amazingly motherboard and cpu still worked after i straightened pens correctly this time so please go slow and just recheck your work

Status
Not open for further replies.