xfx motherboard 8 pin 12v connector help

zoker

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
i got a new 8800GT and bought the coolermaster extreme power duo 600w with it .

now the motherboard has ATX 12v 8 pin connection socket while the PSU has only one 4 pin 12v cpu power connector . my processor is e8200 with a TDP of 65W. so i can use the 4 pin connector in the 8 pin socket safely .

the confusion is that which of the 8 pins i use on the motherboard ?

there are three options -

1. use the four pins nearest to the CPU .
2. connect the 4 pin connector right in the middle of the 8 pin connector on the mobo so that two pins are empty on either side.
3. use the four pins farthest from the CPU.

the motherboard is XFX 680i LT. can anyone please tell me which of the above three options can i use . i will be really thankful . :)

Mondoman

Splendid
The pins are keyed, so option 2 certainly won't work. Whatever fits should be fine.
In all the MBs I've seen with an 8-pin CPU power connector, there's a plastic cover or piece of tape covering part of the mobo connector so only 4 pins are visible.

zoker

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
the system boots alright with all the three options . i want to know which option will be most stable , if there is any issue like that.

As Mondoman said there should have been a cover over 4 of the pins.
Look at the way the male/female connector is keyed.

As to which way is best, It's mock-nixs. One row of 4 pins are +12 and shorted on mother board, the other row is the return and are also shorted on the MB. This is why it will work in all three configurations.

The only problem is should you reverse the orientation (by using the Middle set of 4 pins), You would then apply a NEG 12 V to the MB - OUCH, make that a double Ouch.

zoker

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
i have settled for the 4 pins nearest to the CPU . i observed that only in that configuration is the male / female stuff a perfect match . in the other two configurations i have to force the pin in .

bornbullheaded

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2009
i just got the 8200 series from xfx and picked up a case with a 500 watt power supply,I realized that i have a 8 pin connector on the board and i only have a 4 pin and a 6 pin connector coming from the power supply?????????what should i do???