Vista boot manager and SATA

Had a running PC with 2 SATA drives and Vista Ultimate, then decided to replace the second SATA (D:\) drive for a larger one.

So originally my system looked like this:
C:\ 500Gb System Drive
D:\ 320Gb Data Drive

Opened the box, replaced the drive, turned the PC on and... cannot boot.

Ran the Vista Repair facility - which didn't work, ran it again and selected the Command Line.

Tried to delete the BCD and then rebuild - but got a error 'element not found'... Tried reinstalling my C:\ drive from a working backup and again no boot (hanging on a flashing cursor)

Reinstalled Vista, which worked but wanted to install to 'D', checked the drives - all okay - restored from backup and again no boot. So I'm guessing my BCD is installed onto the D drive and not my C drive! Which means my backup wont work because the D drive has been replaced (and the original wiped).

I need my backup version (apps and various stuff) but how can I get it working?

Any ideas!
5 answers Last reply
More about vista boot manager sata
  1. Post the specs.

Go to bios, double-check your harddisk boot order. Every time you swap harddisks, the order may be changed. The 1st one must be the OS drive.
  2. Checked BIOS and definitely in the right order.

Specification (current)
    CPU: Intel® Core™2 Duo E8300
    Memory (RAM): Geil 4GB Blackdragon (2x2GB)
    Motherboard: Asus P5N32-E SLI Plus
    Operating System: VISTA ULTIMATE SP1
    1st Hard Disk: 500GB SERIAL ATA II
    2nd Hard Disk: 750GB SERIAL ATA II
    CD/DVD Drive: 20x Dual Layer LightScribe DVD Writer
    Graphics Card: BFG 768MB GEFORCE 8800GTX
    Sound Card : Sound Blaster X-Fi Fatal1ty
  3. Vista places the boot manager on a separate hard rive sometimes. the file name is BOOTMGR. I had the same problem and I moved the boot mgr from the old drive to the new one and it works now. the file is visible with a Linux live disk. it will be in the root directory.
  4. ^^^ That's what I thought. My guess is his bootmgr is on the removed drive. Windows has never been smart enough to boot from anywhere other than that root drive + the bootmgr/NTLDR which can be on another drive.

Check Boot device priority & Hard disk drives. The latter contains the order of the hard disks.

http://i.neoseeker.com/neo_image/153366/article/asus-p5n32e-sli/boot_thumb.jpg
  5. thanks guys - will check it out when I get home from work
Ask a new question

Read More

Homebuilt SATA Boot Windows Vista Systems