Sign in with
Your question

Two Problems with Microsoft Office

Last response: in Windows Vista
August 9, 2012 4:44:15 PM

Hello, Two problems I am having.

1.McAfee Pop-Up keeps coming up: McAfee prevented a program from causing a buffer overflow on your PC.

2. Computer started doing weird things and once I got it to settle down, all of my Microsoft Office documents changed to .docx (Word, Excel, & Powerpoint) and now I cannot open them. I tried the DocX.Converter but it did not help. The version is showing Microsoft Office 7. Everything else still works including Microsoft Office Outlook 2003, the internet explorer, all pictures, etc.
My computer is HP Pavilion dv6 Notebook, 3.00GB, 32-bit OS Windows Vista. Any ideas on how I can fix this?
August 9, 2012 6:43:35 PM

McAfee might be telling you MS Office has a problem. I wonder if your Pavilion came with a trial version of Office 2007 which has somehow started up and adopted all your Office 2003 files except Outlook.

Have a look in All programmes for Office 2003 and if you find them, create new shortcuts. When files are opened in the earlier version, the converter should work - it won't in 2007 because there's nothing to convert - it's all retroactive.

m
l
August 9, 2012 10:54:02 PM

Saga Lout said:

McAfee might be telling you MS Office has a problem. I wonder if your Pavilion came with a trial version of Office 2007 which has somehow started up and adopted all your Office 2003 files except Outlook.

Have a look in All programmes for Office 2003 and if you find them, create new shortcuts. When files are opened in the earlier version, the converter should work - it won't in 2007 because there's nothing to convert - it's all retroactive.

Thanks for responding. I checkd All Programms and it lists Microsoft Office Home and Student 2007 and below that it lists Microsoft Office Professional Edition 2003. Do I keep both of them or do I uninstall one of them? Sorry to be so dense, but I am not a wiz at computers.
m
l
August 10, 2012 6:02:07 AM

I suggest you lose the 2007 version because sooner or later, that trial version willl ask for a payment. Wnen you're used to 2003, it takes some time to get accustomed to the totally different menu system and if you, like me, use the Alt codes to keep your fingers on the keyboard, 2007 doesn't oblige because it's all different.

It wil be interesting to see if McAfee quitens down when 2007 has gone.

m
l
!