PCI vs. USB / Recommended Desktop Solution

philologos

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2009
My home has Time Warner's "Road Runner" fed through a Linksys Wireless-N Router. I used to connect through a notebook having an internal Wireless-G PCI(e?) solution. Unfortunately, I destroyed this laptop through an ill-advised memory upgrade, in which I dismantled the unit. Now, I am borrowing my friend's desktop and connecting through a Wireless-B external receiver.

I am planning my first computer build, and am curious as to whether a PCI or USB connected receiver is optimal. A USB solution would not occupy space within my case, and therefore wouldn't obstruct airflow. They also sport antennae, which perhaps aids in the reception of wireless signals. However, the USB interface has dramatically less bandwidth than PCI. Would this difference in bandwidth make a PCI wireless card superior?

Regardless of the best interface, I would like links to Wireless-N receivers that offer exceptional performance/price ratios. Newegg is my preferred retailer, although by no means the only one I would consider.