Sign in with
Your question

DDR3 memory in video card compatible?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
May 11, 2008 5:27:15 AM

Hello,

If i buy a video card which uses DDR3 memory would my motherboard need to support
DDR3 memory or does that only relate with ram memory?

Also, would a DDR3 memory video card be better than one without?
a b U Graphics card
May 11, 2008 5:50:11 AM

The motherboard only relates to RAM, not VRAM. I have used a GDDR4 2600XT in a Socket 939 motherboard, which uses DDR1. Also, yes, a DDR3 card is better than a DDR2 card.
May 11, 2008 10:18:10 AM

So if the VRAM is DDR3 you still get all the benefits from it even though your pc may be alittle bit older?
Related resources
May 11, 2008 12:46:52 PM

Silhorn said:
So if the VRAM is DDR3 you still get all the benefits from it even though your pc may be alittle bit older?

yes
May 11, 2008 1:06:12 PM

The computer comminicates with video card via gpu bus: AGP, PCI, what ever you mother board uses. The mother board don't have to know what memory, or gpu the video card use. The GPU-bus type is only relevant matter in this case.

If you have very old computer, it can be possible that CPU can become the weakest part of your rig. But most propably it's still GPU where there can be made biggest upcrade in your case if you have enough system memory.

If your power suply can give enough power to your new GPU, you will be fine! Sometimes it happens that new GPU eats so much more energy, that old Power suply can not keep up and there can be soem serious lock downs.

I allso have old socket 939 motherboard like "runswindows95" have with 4GB DDR memory and ATI1800 GPU with GDDR3 memory. Still I think that my CPU could handle easily a little bit faster GPU, so I am waiting ATI 4800 series for my next upgrade. But i have 550W good guality powersuply, so I know that there are reserves for even more power hungry GPU...

May 12, 2008 6:50:13 AM

ok cool
ta
March 13, 2011 9:34:42 PM

hannibal said:
The computer comminicates with video card via gpu bus: AGP, PCI, what ever you mother board uses. The mother board don't have to know what memory, or gpu the video card use. The GPU-bus type is only relevant matter in this case.

If you have very old computer, it can be possible that CPU can become the weakest part of your rig. But most propably it's still GPU where there can be made biggest upcrade in your case if you have enough system memory.

If your power suply can give enough power to your new GPU, you will be fine! Sometimes it happens that new GPU eats so much more energy, that old Power suply can not keep up and there can be soem serious lock downs.

I allso have old socket 939 motherboard like "runswindows95" have with 4GB DDR memory and ATI1800 GPU with GDDR3 memory. Still I think that my CPU could handle easily a little bit faster GPU, so I am waiting ATI 4800 series for my next upgrade. But i have 550W good guality powersuply, so I know that there are reserves for even more power hungry GPU...

Well i bought a ddr3 from sprkle and the grafics is a total mess! i have to stick to the onboard grafics wich sucks in terms of speed
!