Sign in with
Your question

8800GT Choice, Help Needed

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
May 11, 2008 6:33:41 AM

Hey, I posted earlier today about needing advice on my comp upgrades, and now that I've decided on everything else, I need help deciding which GPU.
I'm pretty set on one of these three though:

(My first choice) BFG 8800GT 512
(Not sure about this) XFX 8800GT 512
Or should I hold out for the 4870 ATI card that's supposed to be heart-stoppingly amazing?

I was talked out of getting the 3870 earlier yesterday, so now it's up to Nvidia or the next-gen ATI!
And keep in mind that any of the three are really going to kick my current BFG 7600GT's butt! :na: 
Any help is appreciated!

More about : 8800gt choice needed

May 11, 2008 7:12:59 AM

The 4870 should be just under $400 at launch while you can get a 8800GT for around $150 now. All GT's are pretty much the same the only real difference being the bundle and support, mine is Evga.
May 11, 2008 7:29:54 AM

The only difference between the two is the BFG is overclocked. I have owned both brands and they are both good companies. I would probably lean towards XFX, but that is just my preference and it comes with company of heros. The cards are basically identical except for the overclocking which you can easily do yourself for free. If you can wait for the next gen I would. It sounds like both companies may be releasing something worth owning.
Related resources
May 11, 2008 1:38:35 PM

Thanks for the help!
May 11, 2008 2:02:39 PM

cisco said:
The only difference between the two is the BFG is overclocked. I have owned both brands and they are both good companies. I would probably lean towards XFX, but that is just my preference and it comes with company of heros. The cards are basically identical except for the overclocking which you can easily do yourself for free. If you can wait for the next gen I would. It sounds like both companies may be releasing something worth owning.

seconded
a c 147 U Graphics card
May 12, 2008 12:48:21 PM

I vote NEITHER. get the MSI 8800GT with the WAY better cooler. It's the one I'd get if I didn't get the GTS. It's clocked at 660MHZ and I'm willing to bet can top 700 if you OC it. The stock GT cooler reallly... um SUCKS!

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

I never worry about the new cards coming out because they may have "heart stopping" performance, but the price tag is usually the same and you pay premium price for it. You will get a much better deal with a 8800GT.
!