Sign in with
Your question

Help Picking out a power supply

Last response: in Components
May 29, 2008 8:51:01 PM

Hello once more,

I recently upgraded my computer quite a bit and the more you upgrade, the more things go wrong. So heres my situation.. I started off with a:

AMD 64 3800+ 2.4Ghz
nVidia 8500
500 Watt PSU Single rail @ 20A
1GB RAM

I recently purchased a 8800 GT OC"d @ 700 and another Gig of RAM, my suspicions and warnings from other came true when today I hook everything up and of course, not enough power for my card so it automatically turned itself down to prevent explosions. So off to buy a PSU and spend even more money. With that being said, heres what Im seeking help with:

*Finding a new PSU, here are two im considering (Budget Friendly)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

(This last one I just found and to me it looks good, if someone could confirm I'd appreciate it)

*I was advice to get 40A on a single rail or 20-30A on double rails for maximum lifetime, I dont want to upgrade my computer for a while until I buy a new one a year or two down the road maybe more.

*Can I keep my 8800GT inside or should I remove it ASAP until I get a new PSU?

*Lastly, are there any that companies such as Best Buy would carry (although im aware most of the time they carry crap) that I could get right away rather then wait for delivery?

Thank you once again.

More about : picking power supply

May 29, 2008 9:19:50 PM

Where to begin. First, do not buy a Rosewill or HEC power supply. Sure, you look at that Rosewill PSU on Newegg and it has some good reviews, but truth be told, Rosewill is considered a poor PSU maker (tier 5). I've never even heard of HEC, so that alone is scary.

The PSU is one of the most important parts of your computer. It powers everything. This is the one area where you do not want to skimp. Here are good brands:

PC Power & Cooling
Corsair
Antec (certain models)
Thermaltake
Seasonic (certain models)
OCZ
Enermax (certain models)

After that, you're taking a risk.

I would strongly recommend the Corsair VX550W. This thing packs some major power and can handle an upgrade of the rest of your parts as well when you decide to go that route. I think its also important to inform you that your new videocard is going to probably be bottlenecked by your processor. Just something to think about. If you are using a socket 939 motherboard, you may think about grabbing an operton processor (dual-core). If your on AM2, get a good dual-core such as the 5000+ Black Edition which is about $87.00 right now. That would be a major upgrade.
a c 139 ) Power supply
May 29, 2008 9:39:43 PM

Best Buy has the Antec Earthwatts EA500 PSU listed @ $97.99 (store availability -maybe)
Circut City has the same PSU listed for $69.99 (store availability - maybe)
And NewEgg has it listed for $89.99
Thats the only PSU I saw that might be instore that I would recommend.
The $120 Thermaltake 550-Watt W0134RU would be acceptable but its about $25 more at Best Buy than at Circut City.
Right now Zipzoomfly has Corsair VX550 $74 (after $15 rebate) and free shipping

Related resources
a b ) Power supply
May 29, 2008 9:59:05 PM

^ ^ ^ ^
First choice is always a Corsair for me. The Antec Earthwatts series all get good reviews. OCZ makes decent PSUs. To get it RIGHT NOW i'd head to Circuit City hold my nose and get it there. Otherwise ordering online i'd get a Corsair........ http://www.buy.com/prod/corsair-vx-550w-atx-power-suppl... at Buy.com
May 29, 2008 10:11:35 PM

There is also Fry's Electronics, but their stuff is always 10-20% higher priced than online...not always...but most of the time i have noticed.
May 30, 2008 12:16:37 AM

The Antec you picked is GREAT! Go with that one. It's $59.99 with free shipping.
May 30, 2008 12:19:20 AM

O gosh I have so many bad experiances at Fry's, im never going there again......
Anyways, like others have said, dont skimp on the psu. I would rather have a 8800 gt with a good psu then a 8800 ultra and a crappy psu. Yes, its that important. *Thinking of that A1 comercial....*
rofl
a b ) Power supply
May 30, 2008 12:20:05 AM

WR2 said:
Zipzoomfly also has Corsair 650TX $79 after rebate and free shipping.

Nice find! This gets my vote. It's overkill for now, but it will still be good enough to reuse in the next PC.
May 30, 2008 12:43:15 AM

I buy nothing less than PCPower now, I have learned my lesson.
I used to buy the cheap PSU, and they failed on me with unfortunate regularity. I also lost other components when they went, which made them even more expensive.
A good PSU is not $25.
A $25 PSU is a POS.
May 30, 2008 1:03:58 AM

bobbknight said:
I buy nothing less than PCPower now, I have learned my lesson.
I used to buy the cheap PSU, and they failed on me with unfortunate regularity. I also lost other components when they went, which made them even more expensive.
A good PSU is not $25.
A $25 PSU is a POS.

Right.
PC P&C is the -only- PSU I use any longer.
May 30, 2008 9:48:35 AM

500w and a single rail is goood
20A is baaad

I went with a 750W Corsair
Single rail and 60A

Will cope with pretty much anything, and the price wasnt too bad either
May 30, 2008 10:40:39 AM

Nothing to add except please listen to these posters and stay away from the junk you posted. The Antec is their Basiq line and I don't have any info about it, it could be passable. With Corsairs that were linked there is no reason to gamble.
!