Sign in with
Your question

HTPC Keyboard

Last response: in Components
May 29, 2008 9:24:14 PM

Hey all.

I'm throwing together a little HTPC box and was wondering if anyone had suggestions for a good wireless keyboard/mouse. I'd like the keyboard to have an included trackball/toggle so that I can use just the one unit to run the computer from a sofa.

From newegg I spied the two keyboards listed and was wondering if anyone had any experience with them or suggestions for another good keyboard (under $60 before shipping)

Keyboards:
X-GENE 01027http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16823130006
BTC 9019URFIII http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16823110017

Thanks for your help.

More about : htpc keyboard

May 29, 2008 10:55:31 PM

I've used both and to be fair the little joysticks are a pain in the ass.. BTC also do one with a trackball... not sure where to get it though. The other one to look at is the logitech, its much more expensive, but is rechargable, has a trackpad and looks the part
May 29, 2008 11:50:27 PM

Yeah, the logitech is a beauty... but sadly, a wildly over-expensive beauty.
Related resources
May 30, 2008 12:09:54 AM

I am using the Adesso mini keyboard for my HTPC, which looks exactly like the X-Gene, the X-Gene wasn't available at the time...I ordered the Adesso from here...

http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/index.php?main_p...

Out of the two you've linked to, I would highly recommend the X-Gene and/or the Adesso, I would advise against the BTC because using the joystick is a real pain-in-the-a$s. Using the trackball with your thumb and the left mouse click with your index finger allows for very precise point and clicking, perfect for web surfing from your comfy couch!

Good luck!
a b F Wireless
May 30, 2008 6:14:46 AM

I've gone through a couple of wireless keyboards for my HTPC over the past 5 years. At first I used something similar to the X-Gene 01027, but after about a year the track ball broke. I then switched over to a MS wireless keyboard / mouse combo, but for whatever reason, the keyboard fail after about 6 months.

I ended going with a Gyration wireless keyboard / and "air" mouse combo that have worked out pretty well for me. Unfortunately after 3.5 years the rechargeable battery in the mouse is finally dying so I need to either call up customer support to find out if they will sell me a new battery pack or buy a new Gyration combo. The problem is that I have the older mouse version so the current battery pack might not fit it.

Gyration Mini Keyboard & Mouse combo link = $90

They also have a full size keyboard version for $10 more.

The "air" mouse can be used just like a regular mouse, but if you pick it up you can use it like a pointing device to control the mouse.

If you intend on playing FPS games with the keyboard, then the Gyration will probably not be a good choice since from time to time there are keystroke lags that may last 2 or 3 seconds. I would say it probably happens about once every 3 to 5 hours. Doesn't sound too bad, but if you are caught out in open grounds, it could be a killer.
a b F Wireless
May 30, 2008 6:19:51 AM

I'm currently considering the Logitech DiNovo Edge as well.
May 30, 2008 1:29:48 PM

I'll throw in another recommendation. I switched from a logitech setup to this little gem:

Moncaso MK700 for less than $30.

It has a trackball, is very small and unobtrusive, has awesome RF range, very good battery life, and is very inexpensive.
The only thing one might not like about it is that there isn't a way (that I know of) to remap shortcut keys and it lacks any type of scrolling. Also, the left and right mouse buttons are on the left while the trackball is on the right so it takes two hands to use.

*Edit - That Adesso that chucky linked looks like a really nice HTPC keyboard.
March 21, 2009 1:11:53 PM

I also have another recommendation about the HTPC keyboard beside logitech or BTC,

Model: Zippy RF-666
It has more than 30 feet operation range. laser trackball, Scroll wheel, Speed adjustment on trackball movement,scissor keystroke. MCE hotkeys.

Excellent Keyboard for my home theater pc.
March 21, 2009 7:13:42 PM

I don't have a htpc yet, but I'm writing this post with a dinovo edge. It's a bliss. The looks, the easy use of the disc-mouse and the feeling of touch. It has a system for keys, called "perfect stroke", wich is great; when I type, it's like caressing the beautiful skin of a women. Save money and go for this one: dinovo edge !
June 22, 2009 10:45:59 AM

Wow, I just bought a small but useful HTPC keyboard and it is just $40.

It is new in the market, handheld and slim, keyboard, mouse and touchpad 3-in-1.

When I surfed it before, I still hesitated. After viewing its video demonstration, I finally bought it. I got it days ago and I loved it now.

Share it with you at :

http://efo.buy-lowest.com

Shez said:
Hey all.

I'm throwing together a little HTPC box and was wondering if anyone had suggestions for a good wireless keyboard/mouse. I'd like the keyboard to have an included trackball/toggle so that I can use just the one unit to run the computer from a sofa.

From newegg I spied the two keyboards listed and was wondering if anyone had any experience with them or suggestions for another good keyboard (under $60 before shipping)

Keyboards:
X-GENE 01027http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16823130006
BTC 9019URFIII http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16823110017

Thanks for your help.

Anonymous
a b F Wireless
December 17, 2009 1:25:38 PM

DIDO on the EFO keyboard, I love it, it is simple and does not have dedicated media keys but it works great. I had the logitech mini DiNovo and sent it back to DELL from whitch it came, hehehe that sounds like something else. I digress the logitech keyboard was built really cheap which is not ok for $150. (or the $90 i found it for) on the other hand the EFO keyboard http://efo.buy-lowest.com works great and unlike the logitech the track pad works well, like the ones on laptops where the dell just did not work. I wrote a bit more about this at my blog, ocdtech.com (dont know if i am supposed to have links here for that (if not please just take the link off or let me take it off dont kick out the reply as i think people should know that this unknown little keyboard is, at least for now, probably the best option out there.

EFO Keyboard.

Weight: about 1/3rd that of the logitech.
full QWERTY keyboard
backlight.
form factor: looks like the wide style of blackberry and is about 1/2 as thick.
Internal LI battery
Fantastic RF range (I am normally not impressed with RF, thats one of the main reasons i went with the dinovo bluetooth, but these guys made it work, so far i have tested it at 20ft through 1 wall and it didnt miss a beat, no lag, no glitches, no connection issues. it goes to sleep and wakes on any keypress without fail, and without delay.

O yeah and it cost $40.

also I have made it a habit to email companies when i order something just to let them know that I am a person and not an order number, these guys were great, replied fast and were friendly and personable, no automated responder, no mindless reply, just a good firendly reply and awnser to some questions.

well if I am allowed to post my blog www.ocdtech.com you can post any questions you have about it there and i will try to awnser them. or you can probably post them here as long as it emails me to know there was a reply I will awnser it too.
December 13, 2010 6:42:51 PM

Those of you that purchased the EFO keyboard. How are they doing? Are they still functioning well for you after all this time? Have you looked at the new multi-touch model? I noticed it has different keys. Has anyone tested it?

UPDATED: I didn't get a response and I saw a great deal on the Microsoft Arc keyboard so I picked that up. It doesn't come with a mouse but I guess I could just use my old iPhone for that.
!