Sign in with
Your question

I7 920 + Asus P6t Overclocking Help!!!

Last response: in Overclocking
January 22, 2009 12:27:41 AM

HI... everyone...

I am trying to overclock my computer but i scare that i will kill the computer.

Here is my information of my computer:

cpu : i7 920
Motherboard Asus p6t deluxe
Ocz 6gb 1600mhz "3x2gb"
1000watt ps
gtx 295 single
650gb sata hard drive

the computer default the memory 6gb with 1066mhz

here what i already did. I go to Ai Tweaker menu and changed the option Auto - to - Manual. I raised bclk from 133-166 and leave the rest the same. Right now i have my cpu overclocked at 3.48ghz.

Here is my problem. when i change that i see my ddr3 default 1066mhz automatic raise to 1333 something but i want to get it to 1600mhz.

I am happy with my cpu speed at 3.48ghz.

How can i overclock my ddr3 to 1600?

i dont know how to set up the core volt, pll. dram, qpi? i dont want to mess up....

I hear that dont ever raise it over 1.65v....

Can someone help me please... thanks many
March 7, 2009 9:59:39 PM

So you can't arbitrarily change the DDR3 frequency to any value you want, it'll always be a multiple of the BCLK frequency. When you change the BCLK frequency you will see what DDR3 speeds are available as multiple of your new BCLK frequency so you should pick the highest one you believe your DIMMs will work at. I've been able to get my i7 920 on an Asus P6T Deluxe V2 with a ThermalRight Ultra-120 eXtreme CPU Cooler to OC at 3.7GHz and be able to run Prime95 stress test for hours without any issues. Also when you're OCing you are trading always off Memory BW for CPU Speed, in most cases an increase in CPU speed at the expense of slightly slower Memory BW will result in better overall system performance. In case it may be of help to you or others here are my BIOS settings:

AI Tweaker Menu
----------------------
Ai Overclock Tuner => Manual
Intel Speed Step Tech => Disabled (this just makes the CPU clock frequency change depending on load and I want a steady CPU clock)
Intel Turbo Tech => Disabled (this just makes the CPU clock frequency change depending on load and I want a steady CPU clock)
CPU Ratio => Auto
BCLK Freq => 186
PCIE Freq => 100
DRAM Freq => DDR3-1491MHz
UCLK Freq => Auto
QPI Link Data Rate => Auto

Voltages
-----------
CPU Voltage => 1.35
CPU PLL Voltage => 1.96
QPI/DRAM Core Voltage => 1.35
DRAM Bus Voltage => 1.64
CPU Differential Amplitude => 800mV
... all other voltages to Auto
March 7, 2009 10:25:53 PM

Here's a screen shot of my system during the Prime95 run. I have an Antec Solo case with two Antec 92mm fans in front, and a 120mm Scythe "Ultra Kaze" 3K RPM fan in the rear which has an airflow capacity of 133.60 CFM (all under BIOS Silent Speed control). I also used Artic Cooling MX2 thermal grease on the ThermalRight Ultra-120 eXtreme CPU Heatsink. As you can see at full load the temperature of the CPU climbed up to 67 degrees (idle temps are in the mid 30's).

Related resources
March 7, 2009 10:35:38 PM

Here's a screen shot of the Asus Turbo V monitor program showing all the voltages and frequencies.

March 9, 2009 12:12:46 PM

Hey gatorbill, thanks for some nice, easy info :) 

I've just ordered an i7-920 with TRUE cooler and the P6T Deluxe V2 myself (guess I'm not the only one hehe), and also 6GB Dominator ram and an XFX GTX 285.

I've never done any OC myself, but I will be giving it a shot when my new rig arrives. I was just wondering what kind of ram you have, and have you OC'ed your graphics card as well?
March 9, 2009 3:43:38 PM

My DIMMs are: Corsair XMS3 TR3X3G1333C9 3GB DDR3 3X1GB DDR3-1333 CL 9-9-9-24.

I'm not a gamer so I didn't try to overclock my Graphics Card, it's just a middle of the line Asus EN9800GT.
March 20, 2009 1:52:43 PM

newxmatrix said:

How can i overclock my ddr3 to 1600?

I had the same issue last night with my new P6T board. There is an option under the Ai Tweaker menu to use X.M.P (eXtreme Memory Profile). Once this is on BOOM it sets everything you need.
March 26, 2009 2:24:32 PM

to gatorbill. im able to get completely stable results at 1.25v on CPU @3.7
March 26, 2009 5:32:28 PM

That's great, I've not tried lowering my CPU voltage to see if it'd still be stable at 3.7GHz, probably chip dependent. I've also moved away from these settings and I'm now running at 3.99GHz with Speed Step enabled.
March 26, 2009 5:59:40 PM

It shouldn't be hard to overclock your RAM to 1333. ust go into the BIOS and have a field day. You may have to overclock the CPU in order to overclock the RAM but you may be able to go back and reset the CPU to factory specs. I didn't do it cause I wanted my 920 to overclock highly.
May 17, 2009 5:43:16 AM

Gatorbill,

Out of curiosity, what kind of cooler are you using? I am using a cooler master v8 in a cooler master haf 932 with the same settings you mentioned previously, and at 3.7 ghz I am getting temps through the roof. I'm talking 90C with prime95 running. Can anyone tell me if I am doing something wrong or if there is a better air cooler out there?
May 17, 2009 6:46:12 AM

I am using a Thermalright Ultra-120 Extreme (aka as TRUE) using Artic Silver 5 thermal grease. My case is an Antec Solo, and I replaced the Antec 120mm rear exhaust fan with a Scythe DFS123812-3000 "ULTRA KAZE" fan. My temps are 42 degrees Centigrade at idle and go up to 68 degrees Centigrade at 100% load under Prime95. If you're getting such high temps it might be that your heatsink installation is not making good contact with the CPU and/or the thermal paste you're using is applied too thick. My technique on the thermal paste is to apply a dab in the center of the CPU and spread it out into a thin layer using a piece of cardboard. I think the concensus is that the Thermalright Ultra-120 Extreme and the Noctua NH-U12P SE1366 are the two best coolers out there for the i7 CPUs.
May 17, 2009 6:53:31 AM

I will have to check my cooler and thermal grease then. The temps you are getting at 3.7 are the temps I am getting at stock. Thanks for the help. It's much appreciated.
May 22, 2009 3:11:34 AM

Hey...PCProbeII is giving me idle temps of my 920 of 48C. I'm using a Xigmatek Dark Knight with OCZ Freeze thermalpaste.

This is with no OC so is that too high of a temp reading?

I'd like to hit between 3.6 and 3.9 respectively.
May 22, 2009 5:02:19 AM

gatorbill said:
I am using a Thermalright Ultra-120 Extreme (aka as TRUE) using Artic Silver 5 thermal grease. My case is an Antec Solo, and I replaced the Antec 120mm rear exhaust fan with a Scythe DFS123812-3000 "ULTRA KAZE" fan. My temps are 42 degrees Centigrade at idle and go up to 68 degrees Centigrade at 100% load under Prime95. If you're getting such high temps it might be that your heatsink installation is not making good contact with the CPU and/or the thermal paste you're using is applied too thick. My technique on the thermal paste is to apply a dab in the center of the CPU and spread it out into a thin layer using a piece of cardboard. I think the concensus is that the Thermalright Ultra-120 Extreme and the Noctua NH-U12P SE1366 are the two best coolers out there for the i7 CPUs.

Nice setup. I just ordered an i7 920, P6T, and 6GB of OCZ DDR3 1600. I also have 2 Scythe Ultra KAZE fans. I have one on my CPU cooler and one for exhaust. I have a Xigmatek HDT-S1283 as my cooler.
May 27, 2009 5:34:10 AM

What are the advantages of manually changing the CPU PLL Voltage, QPI/DRAM Core Voltage, DRAM Bus Voltage, and CPU Differential Amplitude as oppossed to leaving it at Auto?

Would you believe I could safely overclock my system (indicated in my signature) to 3.66Ghz or 3.80Ghz?
May 28, 2009 6:52:37 AM

Can anyone please give me some pointers on how to best set up OC for my gear?

I OC'd using "Gatorbill's" set up and I saw temps in the mid 90's [ouch!] I know I should probably look at reapplying better quality grease or something but in the meantime, I'd like to be able to boost my machine for it's specs to remain stable, safe but still more powerful than 2.67GHZ.

I ran prime95 for like, 28mins and my temps never reached higher than 67C @ 2.80GHZ [in full auto bios settings]

Any help???

Cheers.

PS... I'm a total noob when it comes to OC so detailed help is required if possible. Thanks.

J

Intel i7 920
Asus P6T Deluxe V2
6GB Corsair DDR3 PC-10600 XMS 3x240pin 9-9-9-24
Gigabyte GTX260 896MB
Antec Nine Hundred Two case
Antec 750W PSU
Zalman CNPS9900 [copper] CPU Cooler
Samsung 1TB SATA 32m 7200RPM HDD
June 1, 2009 1:34:27 AM

Thought I might piggyback on this thread, since I have many of the same questions.

I have the OCZ Platinum DDR31600 memory (6x2). It does not support XMP.

Right now I have it at 7-7-7-24 with 1.64v (can only be set to even numbers with the ASUS bios). I don't know what to set the QPI/DRAM Core Volt to...I have it at 1.35. I've read a couple of overclocking articles, and they either assume you have XMP profiles or they just talk about the DRAM Bus Voltage, not the QPI... Any help?
June 1, 2009 4:15:37 PM

HI guy!!! REally thanks to all you guy discussing these with me...

I have few questions:

I have 2 ways to overclocking:

This is the first one:

CPU Ratio: Auto
Intel Speedstep: enabled
Turbo: Enabled
BCLK: 165
DDR freq: 1322MHZ

Dram Bus voltage: 1.64
Timing: 8 - 8 - 8 - 24

Leave everything on Auto

My temp is around 40c to 75c if full load... I was using the different test "not prime95"

The second one is:

CPU Ratio: Auto
Intel Speedstep: Disabled
Turbo: Disabled
BCLK: 185
DDR freq: 1485MHZ
UCLK: Auto
QPI Link: Auto

CPU voltage: 1.35
CPU Pill Voltage: 1.96
QPI / Dram Core Voltage: 1.35
Dram Bus voltage: 1.64 set timing is 8-8-8-24

My temp is around 47c to 80c and I tested this setting by using Prime95, after 10 min my temp had hit to 90c.

Is this too high? I am thinking about to change new cpu fan.

What choice should i go?
June 11, 2009 9:06:31 PM

Hi

I am very new to this and to writing on forums

Just built my first computer so a complete newbe to this and overclocking.

Antec 1200 case
Core i7 920 O/C @3.6GHZ
6GB Corsair XMS DDR3 RAM 1600MHZ
Asus P6T deluxe V2
GTX260
Be quiet power pro 750w PSU
Titan Fenrir heatsink
2x samsung spinpoint 750GB hard drives in raid 0
Windows 7 RC

The CPU voltage is 1.25 off hand . All I did was change the BCLK to 180 PCI to100 and left everything else at auto. Whether thats right or not is another matter.

Not had time to set other thing up properly yet and will get back. Seems to run fine though. ( was woried when I saw coretemp show the CPU frequency fluctuate between 3.6GHZ and 2.1GHZ but this is to do with intel speed step if you see it happen to you and is a power saving thingy whenthe chip is at idle)

temp at idle = 32.5C

I ran prim95 maxed out for 30 minutes ,100% cpu power and the top temp was 60C, with mobo temp slightly lower. Not sure if that average or I should have run some different tests but I am also getting this running Flight Simulator X almost maxed out. ( the room is pretty hot to)

Back to the point in question HSFs

The Titan, Scythe Mugen 2 and Thermalright Ultra 120 came in as the best HSFs for i7 systems. The Titan is a bit noisy but very good, the thermalright is the dearest @ about £50. (difference of about 2C under load)

Thermaltake V1 is the worst (Actually worse than the reference one you get)

hope that helps.
September 14, 2009 11:53:29 PM

Found this thread, and I thought I'd chip in with some data.

Intel i7 920 D0
Asus P6T Deluxe V2 BIOS 0504
Kingston 6GB (3x2GB) 8-8-8-24 1600 MHz XMP (KHX1600C8D3K3/6GX)
Sapphire Radeon X1650 256MB
Dell PowerEdge 830 Server Case
Corsair 750HX 750W PSU
Prolimatech Megahalems HSF w/ Noctua NF-P12 @ 1300 RPM
SilenX iXtrema PRO 120 x 38 mm (Case exhaust, full speed)
Noctua NF-S12B FLX (Case intake, full speed)
Maxtor DiamondMax 10 SATA300 200 GB x 2
Windows 7 RTM Enterprise 90 day trial

Following gatorbill's advice, I did some basic tweaking and found the following stable (Prime95 64 bit v. 25.11 in "blend" mode):

Ai Overclock Tuner => Manual
Intel Speed Step Tech => Disabled
Intel Turbo Tech => Disabled
CPU Ratio => Auto
BCLK Freq => 190 (= 3800 MHz)
PCIE Freq => 100
DRAM Freq => DDR3-1523MHz
UCLK Freq => Auto
QPI Link Data Rate => Auto

Voltages
-----------
CPU Voltage => 1.25
CPU PLL Voltage => 1.80
QPI/DRAM Core Voltage => 1.25
DRAM Bus Voltage => 1.64
CPU Differential Amplitude => 800mV
... all other voltages to Auto

Using Core Temp 0.99.5:

Idle: 38 Celsius
Hottest core at 100 % load: 72 Celsius

Will do further tweaking and post again. Questions and suggestions are most welcome.
Anonymous
a b K Overclocking
September 17, 2009 6:41:04 AM

I have to say razza, right now I'm running your Gatorbill settings and they're doing damn fine! I have about the same configuration:

Intel i7 920 C0 @ 3.8Ghz 9-9-9-24 + Waterblock Aquacomputer XT-di2 - 64°C full load
Asus P6T Deluxe
6 Gb Corsair Dominator 1800Mhz DDR3 + air cooled 2 x 80mm vents
Sapphire HD4870 512 Mb + Waterblock (core: +/-53°C - memory: +/-60° under full load) @ Core: 740 Mhz - Mem: 900 Mhz
Coolermaster Case: 3 x 250 mm vents (2xin - 1xout) + 1 x 120mm vent (out)
HKC Power Supply 650W (has its own slot - 1 x 120 mm vent)
Swiftech pump - XSPC reservoir + radiator + 2x120mm vents.
Water (sensor in pump) gets about 34°C under full load.

If anyone has some good ideas for me rig, they are welcome.
a b K Overclocking
September 27, 2009 6:57:36 PM

Guys,

I see a lot of questions and confusion in this thread concerning processor temperatures, so let's eliminate all the speculation and conjecture. Since temperatures are all about specifications, it's very important to be specific, otherwise the topic makes about as much sense as trying to compare apples-to-oranges thermal fruit salad in a blender. For everyone's benefit, I am once again posting the following information. My objective is to assure that enthusiasts understand Intel's specifications, standards and test methods, so they can better decide how to apply and manage their overclocking options.

From Intel's Processor Spec Finder - http://processorfinder.intel.com/List.aspx?ParentRadio=...

All Core i7 9xx variants:

Vcore Max 1.375v
Tcase Max (CPU temperature) 68c
Tjunction (Core temperature) 73c

From the Core i7 and Core 2 Temperature Guide - http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/221745-29-sticky-core...

"Section 1: Introduction

Core i and Core 2 processors have 2 different types of temperature sensors; a CPU case (not computer case) Thermal Diode centered under the Cores, and Digital Thermal Sensors located on each Core. The case Thermal Diode measures Tcase (Temperature case), which is CPU temperature, and the Digital Thermal Sensors measure Tjunction (Temperature junction), which is Core temperature. Since these sensors measure 2 distinct thermal levels, there is a 5c temperature difference between them, which is Tcase to Tjunction Gradient. Core i7’s / i5’s and Core 2 Quad’s have 1 Tcase and 4 Tjunction sensors, while Core 2 Duo's have 1 Tcase and 2 Tjunction sensors ...

... The monitoring utilities provided by motherboard manufacturers monitor CPU temperature, while some popular freeware utilities monitor Core temperatures ... Real Temp ... is recommended for users interested in monitoring Core temperatures only ... SpeedFan monitors Tcase (CPU temperature) and Tjunction (Core temperature) ... "

The Thermal Specification shown in Intel's Processor Spec Finder is Tcase Max (CPU) not Tjunction (Core), which is a very common misconception among most enthusiasts. Since there's a 5c gradient between the CPU sensor and the Core sensors, (shown in the following Intel document) - http://arxiv.org/ftp/arxiv/papers/0709/0709.1861.pdf - just add 5c to the value shown in the Spec Finder to determine the corresponding Core temperature, which is 73c for all Core i7 9xx variants.

Intel's second and frequently misunderstood Thermal Specification, Tjunction Max, (100c for all Core i variants) applies to overtemp protection such as Throttle and Shutdown, so you don't toast your transistors. As such, any i7 Core temperatures which exceed 73c should be considered "overtemp". Further, when specifications are exceeded, then processor degradation becomes a concern, which is explained in the following AnandTech article - http://anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/intel/showdoc.aspx?i=3...

Prime95 Small FFT's is the Standard for processor thermal testing, because it's a steady-state 100% workload which yields steady-state temperatures, whereas Blend (the default torture test) is a memory cyclic workload which yields fluctuating processor temperatures. Small FFT's will reach 97% thermal saturation within 7 to 8 minutes, so a 10 minute test is adequate. Thermal testing should be conducted as close as possible to 22c (72f) Standard ambient, with case covers removed, the computer clear of any desk enclosures, and all fans at 100% RPM to eliminate cooling variables, and to produce consistent and repeatable results for comparisons. If the Gradient between CPU temperature and "mean" (average) Core temperature is not ~ 5c, then BIOS is incorrectly coded. CPU temperature and Core temperatures can be individually calibrated in SpeedFan by following the Calibrations Section in the Temperature Guide.

OCCT and Burn Test (reminiscent of TAT) use LinPack, which shows thermal signatures that resemble the ups and downs of a bad day on the stock market, and cycle between light workloads, through test segments which spray all processor registers with all one's, (100% thermal load, which equates to 115% workload), and can push an overclocked i7 at Vcore Max 1.375 with HT enabled, right on past Tcase Max to ring the Tjunction Max bell like a fire alarm! :o 

Since there are very few applications or games that will spike, let alone sustain processor workloads beyond 70% to 85%, utilities which load all registers with all one's are not representative of real-world computing. While these utilities are certainly very useful for stability testing, they are inappropriate for thermal testing. The 3DMark benches are excellent for stability testing, as are applications for ripping and encoding.

The best anaolgy to make sense of CPU temperature and Core temperature is to compare them to a 4 cylinder car that has 5 temperature guages; 4 of the 5 guages are cyclinder head temperatures (closest to the heat source), and the 5th guage is the overall engine temperature, which is 5c lower than the other 4 guages, and is the temperature guage with which we're all familiar. We know that red-line for the i7 9xx is 68c (Tcase Max) on the engine temp guage and 73c (Tjunction) on the cylinder head temp guages, but if we push the engine too hard and peg all the guages, (95c Tcase overtemp / 100c Tjunction Max) then the engine will shut down.

If you'd like to learn more about processor temperatures, then just click on the link in my signature.

Hope this helps,

Comp :sol: 
September 29, 2009 12:56:54 PM

All this help has been great, especially when you're new at this like I am.

Anyways I used Gatorbill's stats and got my processor up to 3.7 and ran Prime for two hours and RealTemp hit a peak of 73 degrees and I thought all was good. I had nothing running over night and when I woke up I found out it peaked at night at 93 degrees. Not sure what caused it to spike but it did. The only thing I can think of is that its a brand new system and I was wondering if Windows was running its indexing system over night.

I'm trying it again over night tonight to see if it was just a rare case or it's something I need to change.

My question is, if I do need to change something, what should I change to lower the processor speed a bit to keep my temps down?

My new PC is the following:

Intel i7 920 processor
Asus P6T Deluxe V2 motherboard
G Skill F3-1600CL9T PC3-16000 Triden Ram (DDR3-2000, 6GB)
for cooling: coolermaster ATCS840 Case with two top fans, one front fan and one back fan. Also, a Coolermaster Hyper 212 heatsink and thermal paste (can't remember the make).

October 8, 2009 8:46:35 PM

GatorBill - I can look past the fact you're a Gators fan...thanks a ton for posting up your settings, I'm easily sitting at 3.7GHz and had been searching for almost 2 days for solid settings. You're the man!
!