Sign in with
Your question

Crossfire & DDR2 mobo?

Last response: in Motherboards
June 23, 2008 11:35:01 AM

Hi,

In light of recent graphical developments, ive decided to get a crossfire board. Components are as follows:

CPU: E8400
GPU: HD 4850
RAM: Some sort of DDR2 nice stuff, it's so cheap
PSU: 620wat Corsair Modular

I'm basically after a crossfire board for a future GPU double up, with DDR2 capabilities, seeing as it works about as well as DDR3 and is half the price.

Any ideas chaps? Nothing fancy, i'm unlikely to be overclocking heavily.

Cheers.

More about : crossfire ddr2 mobo

June 23, 2008 12:22:56 PM

It won't let me edit for some reason, anyway, i forgot to mention I'm trying to keep costs down where possible. But might be persuaded to invest in something more expensive...
Related resources
June 23, 2008 1:13:40 PM

My mobo(see sig below) is very nice. Very easy bios, overclocks well. It is a little more expensive than the p45 boards but i love it. Very stable and very cool.

I must say, if those p45 boards would have been out when i built in early may, i would have used that first one. Those seem like a good midrange board with some future built in.

here is my board: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
June 23, 2008 2:09:38 PM

I was just under the impression that the P45 boards have a slower crossfire system (or something, i can't quite remember).

I don't want loads of features, but I do want lots of performance, if you catch me.

Cheers for those options, I'll look into them.

Further thoughts are welcomed too.
June 23, 2008 4:37:53 PM

freols said:
I was just under the impression that the P45 boards have a slower crossfire system (or something, i can't quite remember).

I don't want loads of features, but I do want lots of performance, if you catch me.

i believe it is because when you crossfire, it splits the two to x8 on each slot... running single gpu will give you the max rating of x16.. i think some motherboards allow both cards, under crossfire, to be run at x16 each.

i, myself, am looking for spex similar to yours... right now im researching gigabyte's x38 boards that allow ddr2....
June 23, 2008 4:38:43 PM

freols said:

i believe it is because when you crossfire, it splits the two to x8 on each slot... running single gpu will give you the max rating of x16.. i think some motherboards allow both cards, under crossfire, to be run at x16 each.

i, myself, am looking for spex similar to yours... right now im researching gigabyte's x38 boards that allow ddr2....

sorry for the double post... computer froze... didnt think it posted....
June 23, 2008 6:54:44 PM

Hmm, well, info on this would be welcomed.

It sounds like I am in exactly the same boat as Ironsung.

June 23, 2008 7:25:56 PM

ok i checked and p45 boards (most if not all) will split the crossfire to 8x on each pci slot.... you dont want this

so look at x38/x48 boards.... they will run x16 on both pci slots under crossfire.... also some of them come with ddr2 capabilities.. some ddr3... your choice

note - im only answering you because i am a noob myself... and i know how you feel - you just want quick answers...... the veterans on these forums will usually skip ur request/question because you didnt research enough... or they'll say 'use the search button'....

hint: read the first thread before posting questions
June 23, 2008 7:44:54 PM

You may want to pick a more powerful PSU if you plan on crossfiring 2x 4850s. I know anand's reviewers needed some crazy amount of power to run the crossfire solution. Although the amount they needed didn't seem reasonable to me, I don't think 620W is going to cut it.
June 23, 2008 9:26:51 PM

I will ask on the built forum.

This PSU type has been enough for SLI in the past... I was always thought ATI options were less power hungry.

It's a very new PSU, and a good one... meh, I will consult the homebuild forum :-)
!