Hard Disk Recovery Needed

hard500

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2009
My Hard disk is not detected by the BIOS.I guess it's dead.So please help me to recover data form the dead hard disk

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2008
sata ide?

are there jumpers

new or used

if used how old

did you switch cables

did you switch ports

what happened right before the drive quite working

orangegator

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2007
1. Get into your time machine and go back in time to before the hard drive died.
2. BACK UP all your important data
3. Restore the data to your replacement hard drive.

If the drive is truly dead, and since you probably don't have a time machine, your only option is to pay $$$$ to a data recovery company.

Moral of the story, Back Up Your Data!

Ronin_1

Distinguished
May 24, 2006
I have known some people who claim that they were able to recover data from a "dead" hard drive by wrapping it up in two zip lock bags and putting it in the freezer overnight. IF it comes up you need a new drive already installed to transfer data to because it may not last long and may not work more than once if it works at all.

If you do not have backups of your data the only other choice is a data recovery company. They are VERY expensive and their success rate is not as great as you might image. If the reason the drive is dead is that the heads crashed on the platter and damaged it there is little likelihood that anything can be done.

As orangegator said, backup your data. It is a hard lesson to learn.

Good Luck

In most cases even after headcrash, the drive is still detected, just no longer functions. Try another system. In a worse case, some users have had luck getting the same(find another identical drive) drive and changing the logic board.

As said, data backup is very important for future reference.

bigbender_mike

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2009
Is it possible to find another like drive and change out the platters? I have a drive that I thought was dead and wanted to see the insides. Turns out the spindle was making all the noise and I think the data is still intact. Any suggestions?

lloydmuc

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2009
that also happened to my Seagate 7200.11 SATA, and I tried changing the boards on the HDD to no avail. A good board on the faulty HDD doesn't get detected, also a faulty board on a working HDD didn't get detected in BIOS either!

lloydmuc,
I guess it varies, i have seen drives that are toast still get detected in the bios but be unusable. They are older, so may new drives just stop getting detected after they are toast.

bigbender_mike, Thats a very hard task, data recovery companies do perform such tasks(In a clean room). If you have nothing to loose go for it, but remember even a spec of dust can scratch the crap out of those platters rendering data(some or all) useless.

kerrywood

Honorable
Jun 5, 2013
Few day's before my hard drive is totally inaccessible, i fully shocked, after that i searched the tool at online that can easily access my hard disk data without losing my original details. so we recommends you try this tool at online which is easy to affordable application no need to put extra on it.

http://www.datarestoresoftware.com/

Jun 5, 2013
how well do these data recovery apps work in general? in my case, my seagate drive stopped reading by bios recently, like a week ago.

anybody have personal experience using these apps, that's what i like to hear? i got a new notebook with big storage so i can just transfer if i can access the broken drive. anybody know how long the data sit safely in a dead drive? time sensitivity?

jeffluos6

Honorable
Oct 2, 2013
Data recovery from dead hard drive is still possible, one way is data recovery lab if you can afford thousands or tens of thousands for your data, another way is use data recovery tool, here's a good guide that helped me last time: dead hard drive data recover

You got to make the hard drive detectable by computer, if current computer does not detect it, you may take out the hard drive and then connect the hard drive to another computer as slave drive, or external hard drive. You can then check whether computer is able to detect it. Another way is to try device manager, you can follow this guide
http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000833.htm