Sign in with
Your question

Akamai/I think I may have been hacked

Last response: in Windows Vista
August 11, 2012 10:04:50 AM

Basically, some kid on Xbox Live was talking *** to me and I simply tried to steer clear of it to avoid conflict, as that would really not be worthy of my time. Then, my internet went down and I had to restart my modem/router. When I did this, I noticed an Akamai Client running on my computer and that any time I tried to access Xbox Live and Twitter, I was getting phishing warnings from Chrome telling me not to proceed. After some time, of changing my passwords on most sites, I ran Windows Defender and Symantec to make sure I was not infected. I have since uninstalled Akamai from my laptop and I am no longer getting the phishing warnings.

Are there any other precautions I can take so that I can ensure my safety via the internet.

PS - Hope I'm not creating a useless thread, I went searching around but couldn't find anything directly relevant to my exact cause. Help is very much appriciated, thank you.

More about : akamai hacked

a b 8 Security
August 11, 2012 11:35:44 AM

tstape03 said:
Basically, some kid on Xbox Live was talking *** to me and I simply tried to steer clear of it to avoid conflict, as that would really not be worthy of my time. Then, my internet went down and I had to restart my modem/router. When I did this, I noticed an Akamai Client running on my computer and that any time I tried to access Xbox Live and Twitter, I was getting phishing warnings from Chrome telling me not to proceed. After some time, of changing my passwords on most sites, I ran Windows Defender and Symantec to make sure I was not infected. I have since uninstalled Akamai from my laptop and I am no longer getting the phishing warnings.

Are there any other precautions I can take so that I can ensure my safety via the internet.

PS - Hope I'm not creating a useless thread, I went searching around but couldn't find anything directly relevant to my exact cause. Help is very much appriciated, thank you.

First off, Akamai is a valid WEB acceleration service used by many update , video streaming etc apps. On the other hand, in 2004 Akamai confirms an attack on its network that took down Google, Yahoo and others. Also: Smart phones draw their first worm. So it just goes to show, anything can be infected. Running a strong AV & firewall, will provide about as much protection as one can expect, but don't rely on a clean scan from any single AV, as its DB may not be updated with the most recent virus signatures. There are other scanners (on demand) & the real time versions run along side your AV, providing additional protection. Malwarebytes Pro, for example has very good WEB protection. Another security app is something like a Host Manager, which protects your host file, and also blocks hundreds of thousands of undesirable sites. Also, Keep all the software on your computer updated automatically by running a program such as Secunia PSI (Personal Software Inspector).
!