Sign in with
Your question

Any help with problem installing CD for Windows 3 1 into XP

Last response: in Windows XP
August 28, 2010 4:35:50 PM

The CD loads, and appears labelled on Drive D in My Computer, but double clicking only brings up a string of folders and icons, not including an 'exe'.

Grateful any clues

Peter
August 28, 2010 5:49:58 PM

You did not say what you are trying to get the CD to execute.
Bringing up folders in D drive is normal.
Give more details, and you will surely get an answer.
August 29, 2010 7:03:08 AM

What's on the CD? Your .exe may be buried in one of those folders. You can use the windows search function to find it, if you can't find it yourself.
Related resources
September 1, 2010 2:46:55 PM

Thanks for the above. I ought to be more specific. After entering WINSTALL.EXE in RUN, the CD (which has text and images, not programme software) loads, but a message appears: ' The WIN16 subsystem has insufficient resources to continue running. Click on OK, close your applications and restart your computer'. This does not work. I run Windows XP and have plenty of memory etc. I now gather this may be an old problem which Microsoft know about, but have not chosen to fix.
September 1, 2010 3:06:42 PM

Are you using a windows 3.1 disc when XP is installed?

You can't install windows 3.1 'into XP.' They are separate OS's.
September 4, 2010 2:24:30 PM

aford10 said:
Are you using a windows 3.1 disc when XP is installed?

You can't install windows 3.1 'into XP.' They are separate OS's.

Answer, Well, two separate computer professionals assured me the Windows 3.1 CD 'ought to' play on XP, and one of them spent some time checking (without success) for problems with my computer. However, I have now discovered and obtained a 'patch' (installation disc) from the original vendor, which thankfully works. So the difference in operating systems is evidently not without remedy. All the same, from blogging elsewhere on the internet, it seems the w16 subsystem (whatever that is) may be a wider problem.

Regards to all
Peter Watson
!