Better Quality? Asus vs. Gigabyte

ironsung

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2008
hey guys

#1) i was wondering about the overall quality of asus vs gigabyte... like reliability, stability, etc.... which company has better quality?

note that im not talking about features or what it can do... just plain old quality

i am an intel fan... i love intel boards - they lack features that distributing companies promote, but they are, in my eyes 'bulletproof' - their reliability, stability and overall quality is excellent.... i mean just look at the badaxe2 (975xbx2)

#2) other companies, like asus and gigabyte, cuaght my eye because of the loads of features they possess... could these features counter the quality? more features dont make it better in quality, necessarily.... it might actually lower the quality since its more complex, more heat generated because of the extra parts?... etc.... please shed some light on this....

thank you.

jonyb222

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2008
Well there was a big debate on the quality of Asus boards, personally I've been running on Asus boards (and my family on Giga boards) for a few years now and both have been doing an excelent job.

My Asus board has taken quite a beating, I was building my computer when my PSU short-circuited, the board survived and is still running smoothly since then (will be 2 years in october)

My family's Giga's been running for at least 4-5 years now and is only now starting to show signs of age (but that's to be expected from a computer that's left on 24/7 with very few shut down and like 3 formats)

I would buy an Asus, not cuz I'm a fanboy, just cuz I like their name (lamest excuse ever) :p *Edit* Ok maybe I am a fanboy, just not the kind that'll go crazy

jonyb222

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2008

It will be quite interesting...

I'm still trying to figure out why people on this forum went so crazy over that, personally I either use my computer full blast or almost not at all, so if I had the EPU it may have done a fairly good job for me...

dagger

Splendid
Mar 23, 2008

Some people don't like the idea of having a piece of shaky hardware on their motherboard, even if they don't actually use it. Others think it's an indicator of overall quality.

jonyb222

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2008
while I do agree that the EPU isn't perfect, it is Asus' first try at it (and sure the DES may work like a charm, it's a hit and miss thing) but I think the real judging should begin with the second version (which I think will be out in the next months)

dagger

Splendid
Mar 23, 2008

Actually, it's about the real reason behind EPU not being stable. Asus has more than enough technical expertise to make it work. It's just that they choose to regulate power flow on software level instead of hardware level like DES, which increases cost. It's not a matter of not being smart enough, it's about making a conscious decision to cut corners and save money. This is what many people make such a big deal about it, even though they may not even use EPU/DES.

jonyb222

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2008
Oh, I see. Now I understand, then I hope the next version with be hardware, or at least software that makes more sense (If that's at all possible)
With any luck Asus will learn from this and strive to be better, faster stronger (I'm listening to that song right now)

Speaking of which, anyone know the features for the next EPU?

imsoojung

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2008
I think both Asus and Gigabyte boards are excellent motherboards, I think its a matter of finding which better suit your need .

jonyb222

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2008

+1

ironsung

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2008
thank you everyone for your insights and opinions..

call me a noob but i've made up my mind and im going to go with gigabyte..

dagger, thank you for posting those two articles.. btw ty for helping me out on my other posts... and my future ones too... heh heh

i hate liars.. hence, i hate asus