Vcore E8400 and GA-EP35-DS3L

goatfarmer

Distinguished
May 6, 2008
I just recently assembled a computer with an E8400 processor and GA-EP35-DS3L motherboard. All went fine and it booted right up. I have ran it for maybe 10-12 hours playing games and it has been flawless. It is running at stock speeds. I have DES disabled, and all the energy saving features as well in BIOS. I noticed yesterday that the CPU Vcore setting was at "normal", and the Vcore was registering at 1.204V in the PCHealth section readings. Is this too high for a non-overclock? This is what the motherboard recognized and I have not changed anything. Should I try to lower the voltage? I know intel says the Vcore range is .85V-1.3625V. Is my reading alright? I also noticed CPU Temp in PCHealth on motherboard is around 30-33C at idle. In CoreTemp sofware, CPU temp registers the same, and say core temps are around 40C at idle and 52C at load. Just wondering if the Default voltage that the motherboard is set at is too high at 1.204V and if i should lower it to lower temps as well? Or just let it ride because all is running well? Thanks!

dragonsprayer

Splendid
Jan 3, 2007
just because .85 is an optition does not mean its a good one

lower voltage and run stablity tests - then run apps and keep lowering the votlage until u find the low spot

you really should not run it any lower then 1.2-1.3v

goatfarmer

Distinguished
May 6, 2008
Thanks for the feedback. I have Vcore set at around 1.15-1.18V and seems to be running fine. Just fighting the frozen DTS core sensors at the moment. One shows a low of 41C and the other 46C. Under load they both get to a max of about 52-53C. Using Gigabytes software, processor temp shows around 40-42C max. Just wondering if these temps seemed alright. Or should I RMA the processor. Don't really wanna disassemble the computer if things appear alright. I can live with those sensors stuck at idle at those numbers as long as there is no adverse effect. Thanks again.

I actually saw someone running a E8400 on about 1.09v. It can run at a lower voltage than what you have it set to and the lower the better.

BTW what cooler are you using? Stock or a better one? That will help in the temps. But overall those are not that bad.

goatfarmer

Distinguished
May 6, 2008
I am using the following cooler:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835200026

running at about 1900RPM, and those max temps are running Prime95 tests after about an hour or two. I might try reapplying the thermal paste and see if it helps. I was torn between following the cpu application instructions and the cooler instructions. I chose the cooler instructions. It was the "small spot in center" application and "rotate around cooler". I might try applying a thin layer and spreading it to see if it helps any. Or is it even worth the trouble if those temps are not that bad. Under normal conditions(gaming, etc), it never really gets above 38C in Gigabyte Software monitor or above 46-48C on DTS in CoreTemp. Ambient room temp is also around 24-26C. Thanks again!

meDlanD

Distinguished
May 31, 2008
The E8400 is a great processor, and becomes even better if you overclock it.

That voltages/temps are fine, and with that cooler you can easily get 3.4-3.6 Ghz, wich shows some performance boost.

Keep your voltage under 1.3625V, and temps under 72ºC, and you will not have any problems.

What the Intel specs list are the VIDs. This is .85V-1.3625V for the E8400. VID is the amount of voltage that Intel believes is required to run at stock settings. The VID will not be the same for all E8400s. The MAX voltage you should apply to a 45nm CPU is 1.4v. You may or may not be able to under-volt your CPU with out becoming unstable. The MAX temp (Tj max) is 95C for 45nm and 105C for 65nm.