How do I connect to my neighbors wild blue?

ceallaigh1

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2009
My neighbor and I agreed to split his satellite internet if I am able to. How do I do this? I'm pretty sure he has Wild Blue. Do I need a router? What kind? I'm completely blind to all of this. thanks.

G

Define Wild Blue.

Basically, if he has a wireless router you'll need a wireless adapter for your computer and his wireless security passphrase, if any.

Some Internet Providers specifically prohibit sharing of this kind -- but few seem to implement any measures to prevent it.

magruder13

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2008
I dont see how they would be able to pick up on it, if your going to go completely wireless between houses this is how it should go, this is only one option i can think of but it might help.

His satellite comes to his house and into a modem (i think) and comes out as a Ethernet cord (RJ45), looks like a bigger version of a phone cord, and then you plug that into a wireless router. He can hook into that wireless router with an Ethernet cord if his computer is close, if not then he needs to purchase a wireless network card (NIC), You need to also purchase a wireless network card and then you should be able to connect to his wireless router BUT wireless routers only reach like 100 feet or so, depending on the brand and money your going to put out for it.

Thats a moderate dept version, i dont know your current knowledge on computers so i didn't know how far to go, below is a wireless router and adapter you could use.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833124010
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833124115

Tend to stick with the same brand, it usually works out alot better with tech support and compatibility. BE AWARE, that adapter DOES NOT HAVE DRIVERS FOR VISTA 64, you can get 3rd party drivers but its a real big pain, the best way is to have vista automatically search for drivers and it will work fine, mine did!

WARNING!!! I know of friends that have satellite internet and make sure you read ur terms and agreements, because they can put a limit on your internet such as 3gb of streaming per day or something similar, they can charge you extra like $50 if u go over, and then limit your internet for 3 days. Happened to a friend when Direct TV sold their internet part to Hughs Net he didn't read the new terms and agreements.

Also: Satellite internet DOES not work well with games, the time it takes for the signal to go to outter space and back is like 600MS and thats the best latency you can get in a game, but great for streaming and downloading!

Hope this helps!!!

TRENDING THREADS