Unable to detect slave PATA HDD

imseunghoyang

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2009
Hi,

To backup my files on my old Windows XP computer (which uses PATA HDD) to my new Windows 7 computer (which has SATA HDD set as primary), I took out the HDD from the old computer and installed it on one of the IDE port located on my Gigabye EP45-UD3R motherboard.

Apparently, Windows XP does not work on PATA HDD anymore (it keeps restarting after Windows loading screen) - more reasons to back up! Anyway, when PATA is connected by itself, it turns on but again, there is a problem with Windows. I've experimented with another functional PATA I had at home and it's also not recognized in Windows (although it's recognized on BIOS), so I don't think there is an inherent problem within the PATA HDD I'm trying to back up.

So basically I'm trying to copy some files from PATA HDD to my SATA HDD (via new computer), but when I open Computer, it only lists SATA HDD. Funny thing is, both HDDs are detected on BIOS (SATA as Channel 0 IDE primary - dunno why it says that but that's besides the point - and PATA as Channel 4 IDE slavery).

Disk Manage also does not recognize the PATA HDD. PATA HDD is installed properly (I can feel it vibrate when computer turns on).

Thanks in advance, I would really appreciate any help on the issue.

PS: My computer spec is-
CPU: Intel E8400
MOBO: EP45-UD3RSATA HDD: Seagate ST31000528AS 1TB
PATA HDD: Samsung SpinPoint P120 250 GB
RAM: 2GB x2
GPU: Radeon 4870

imseunghoyang

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2009
The PATA HDD I'm trying to back up has a problem starting on both computers. When the two PATA drives are connected (and boots through the other PATA), both HDD show up fine on Windows.

Couple of problems possible here.
1. If it is a single IDE drive on a ribbon cable, the drive needs to be set to "master" with the jumper and pluged into the end of the ribbon cable. The IDE drives are treated seperately and differently than the SATA drives are. Even if you are booting to an SATA drive, if it is the only IDE drive on a ribbon cable, it needs to be set as Master. Make sure you have done this, reboot and see if the drive shows up.
2. You most likely will not be able to boot from the drive, you cannot simply move a windows installation from PC to PC, it won't work like that. The HAL and all the drivers on the Windows installation are set up for your old system. Simply plugging it into a new system and trying to boot from it most usually will not work, unless the new systems motherboard and all other hardware is nearly identical.