jdubs2

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2008
Well, I've been a lurker but it is now time to post.

Lately my P5E has begun to have difficulties. If I shut it down and restart it, it usually won't post (This problem is much worse if it has been sitting in the off position overnight. If I have been working on the computer for awhile and just do a restart, it will usually restart just fine). It might get halfway through posting and stop, it sometimes says bad bios checksum, sometimes it won't even send a signal to the monitor (it turns on but the monitor goes into sleep mode and nothing happens), sometimes (rarely) it blue screens. I've tried swapping RAM sticks to no avail. It seems like it is more likely to post and load Vista normally if I have been fiddling with it awhile and the system is warmer (may be just me). Once it actually does post, it works just fine. I can play games, do my work etc without a hitch.

I am not overclocking. The only issue I can even remotely identify is that, in the bios hardware monitor, all the voltages are slightly below spec (the 5.5V rail shows 4.9ish, the 12V rail shows 11.9ish etc) but I dunno if that means my power supply is bad or my supply is overtaxed (I went onto the corsair power supply recommendation and I am over-supplied according to the site).

Any ideas?

My system:
P5E (0702 bios)
Q9300
8GB Ram (2) twin2x4096-6400c5
Corsair 620HX power
(2) Samsung F1 750GB in a Raid 0
(2) Sata optical drives
HD3870 Video
Vista 64

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

YourGodOnEarth

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
First thing to try now is to get a replacement battery for the BIOS.

Usually the cheksum error is a result of the RTC not matching what the BIOS expects it to be at boot time (because of massive slowdown of the RTC or it no longer having enough battery power to keep the time close to accurate).

It might not be the case here, but this has happened to me personally, and I have seen it in customers' computers occasionally.

The batteries aren't expensive, just make sure to get an exact replacement based on the battery number.

As for the occasionaly blue screen, it would depend on if there is an error code given. That could be related to the boot problem if the PSU is going bad, but it could also just as easily be an unrelated error (Windows, hardware, or application).

Just what I would try first. :)

dragonsprayer

Splendid
Jan 3, 2007
first most mobos with issues work better cold then hot - this could be a grounding issues releaded to expansion of the case. check the way the mobo is attached to the case or if its bent or pressure on something like a gpu.

you need more voltage on the ram - you got 8gb and it can be hard too boot 8gigs

psu voltage could be releated if you memory voltage changes at boot and with warm up. normally a hot psu is less effecient but yours may need to warm up.

again try tweaking the memory voltage then the cpu voltage up

your run 64 bot so a blue screan is not that unsual - again with 8gb of ram more voltage is need or nb

dragonsprayer

Splendid
Jan 3, 2007

most check sum errors are cause by a wrong setting in bios - if your running stock settings you may need some tweaking

he is running 8gb - that tells me he may need more nb voltage due to all the ram or more ram voltage.

not booting cold is unusal - the cold nb may need to warm up and demand more voltage