Sign in with
Your question

Dynamic disks... set bios to ide or raid?

Last response: in Storage
July 13, 2009 1:47:47 AM

If you plan on using four sata disks together in dynamic mode... does it matter if in the bios it is set as ide or raid?

bios settings are these two below

on chip ide channel (enabled)

onchip sata controller (enabled)

and choices after the above are

on chip sata type... should be raid ahci or ide?

on chip sata port type should be ide or sata?

this is the operating system drive on one disk. I will be using 4 others of the six in a raid... how to set the bios if you are using a software raid... as simple ide and let windows do its duty?

motherboard has 6 ports 4 and 5 on one chip and 0 - 3 on another.

UPDATE--------------------------------------------------

Well I get blue screens on all the other settings... perhaps as I have only one drive attached? So I have it set as "on chip sata type - ide.... and on chip port type ide as all others gave me blue screens.

this port ide bios stuff should be made simpler... why can't I just stick these drives in all at once and the bios ask me a series of questions on how I intend to use these drives? Computer makers come together and help us dummies...

UPDATE ------------------------------------------------

I thought I would inform you all that I have 5 sata disks in with them all set as

on chip sata type... ide

on chip sata port type ide

this ide to sata, sata to ide shitz is unreal.... how is a regular guy supposed to know what to do with this?
a b G Storage
July 14, 2009 3:24:09 AM

Errrr, before we go on joojoo, what is it do you exactly want to do?
July 14, 2009 5:11:31 PM

Hello, I got the system up and running. This whole sata ide settings thing is confusing. If we assume that all bios's ask the same questions in setting up a sata hard disk to a sata port how would you do the settings.

Right now I have my 5 sata disks all installed.

I have 5 sata disks in with them all set as

on chip sata type... ide

I then have striped in xp pro 4 of these together in volumes of various sizes using dynamic disks software span. I will use a terrabyte disk to backup when I get it back... I had to return it.

I have it all up and running fabulously.... xp pro is the way to go - wish I would have used this before home a long time ago.

MY QUESTION
Have I installed these individual drives correctly? I tried the choosing sata instead of ide on these two settings...

on chip sata type... ide

But got blue screens... I just want to make sure that I am getting maximum speed out of them and not hinder them by choosing ide instead of sata.
Related resources
!