Sign in with
Your question

Matshita DVD RAM UJ-850S ATA Device problems

Last response: in Storage
July 13, 2009 10:41:42 AM

I have a Vaio VGNFE41E and the above CD/DVD device. I cannot burn CD and every time I insert a CD/DVD the system ask me to initialize the disc. Only after agreeing to initialize (obviously i get the error "disc data protected can not initialize) I can then see the content of the CD/DVD. I checked the registry but I DO NOT HAVE upper and lower filters. I uninstalled the device many times, but I still can't burn CDs. The burning process start but then alts at about 4% of process. I don't get any errors. I am running horrible Vista home edition. Can anyone kindly help please?
July 18, 2009 7:10:31 AM

Obviously i did not explain myself well.
I am not trying to burn a disk protected CD, but a blank one.
All i was saying is that EVEN with protected CD/DVD (like a movie dvd for example) the systems reads it as blank and only after clicking yes to initialize disk .........I can read the contents.
I am not worried about protected dvd/cd, I hardly use them, but I want to be able to burn CD (blank ones!).
As I explained in the previous message, I can start the burning process, but it always alts at 4% of the process, and I don't get any errors. I don't know how many CD I had to throw away due to this problem.
Has anyone encountered this kind of problem? can anyone help?
many thanks
September 3, 2009 2:51:35 PM

I have the same problem with my Sony Vaio VGN-N385e, after reading and looking all over the internet, the bes solution is to get a new optical drive. I haven't gotten one but i assume that's the problem. My problem is that my optical drive, will not read any disc with information, even when content is on the disk. The problem with this is that the CD-R was written in a higher speed than the optical drive, making the optical drive not be able to read it. I have uninstall and reinstall several time too, but no result. I would just buy another optical drive that fits your laptop.

Hope this helped
:) 

Gilber said:
Obviously i did not explain myself well.
I am not trying to burn a disk protected CD, but a blank one.
All i was saying is that EVEN with protected CD/DVD (like a movie dvd for example) the systems reads it as blank and only after clicking yes to initialize disk .........I can read the contents.
I am not worried about protected dvd/cd, I hardly use them, but I want to be able to burn CD (blank ones!).
As I explained in the previous message, I can start the burning process, but it always alts at 4% of the process, and I don't get any errors. I don't know how many CD I had to throw away due to this problem.
Has anyone encountered this kind of problem? can anyone help?
many thanks

September 4, 2009 2:13:30 AM

Thanks for your post Marcopolo07 but it does not help much.
The CD/DVD drive was working initially which means that the problem has nothing to do with writing speed.
It's a firmware or software problem. I guess there is some compatibility issue with that terrible Windows OS Vista.
One thing is for sure, I will never buy Sony again. And my next laptop is going to be running with Linux
!