Sign in with
Your question

Mobile GPU question from a traveller: 7950GTX vs 8700GT SLI

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
May 12, 2008 3:59:51 PM

Hello people, I haven't visited this board since I left to come travelling a year and a half ago. Ah how I have missed you all!

Anyhow, since I have been out of the game for a while (its not cool or practical to lug a PC round Australia in your backpack), I have lost touch somewhat! Last time I was here SLI was a bit hit and miss with the performance boost it offered, half due to lack of game support, and half due to the hardware/drivers.

I am planning on buying a gaming laptop since I am setting up in Perth for a year, and I was wondering, would I be better off getting a laptop with a 7950GTX at about $1100 or one with a 8700GT in SLI for about $2000. I will primarily be playing RTS games, Supreme Commander, Company of Heroes and also World in Conflict if it actually runs the menu screen. I am not bothered about DX10 explosions etc so that isn't a factor, what I am looking for is frames per second and resolution.

I was going to buy a laptop because I will have more chance reselling it on ebay when the time comes to move on, and not losing a shedload of money. I would of course prefer a desktop just because of the huge performance gains/cost ratio, but there we go.

Thanks guys, hope your all well! :D 
a c 130 U Graphics card
May 12, 2008 4:07:37 PM

Parge said:
Hello people, I haven't visited this board since I left to come travelling a year and a half ago. Ah how I have missed you all!

Anyhow, since I have been out of the game for a while (its not cool or practical to lug a PC round Australia in your backpack), I have lost touch somewhat! Last time I was here SLI was a bit hit and miss with the performance boost it offered, half due to lack of game support, and half due to the hardware/drivers.

I am planning on buying a gaming laptop since I am setting up in Perth for a year, and I was wondering, would I be better off getting a laptop with a 7950GTX at about $1100 or one with a 8700GT in SLI for about $2000. I will primarily be playing RTS games, Supreme Commander, Company of Heroes and also World in Conflict if it actually runs the menu screen. I am not bothered about DX10 explosions etc so that isn't a factor, what I am looking for is frames per second and resolution.

I was going to buy a laptop because I will have more chance reselling it on ebay when the time comes to move on, and not losing a shedload of money. I would of course prefer a desktop just because of the huge performance gains/cost ratio, but there we go.

Thanks guys, hope your all well! :D 

They are both class 1 solutions. you can compare them here.
http://www.notebookcheck.net/Intel-Graphics-Media-Accel...
Mactronix :) 

!