Thank You!

Allanag

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2002
Hi,

This is a very big thank you, to everyone who assisted me with choosing my components for my new build.

The final components were:

1. Thermaltake Armor Plus Case(silver and all aluminum)
2. PSU Seasonic M12 700 W
3. Gskill DDR2 1066 4 GB(2x2GB)
4. Q9450
5. Gigabyte GA-EX38-DS4
6. Xigmatek HDT S1283
7. Western Digital 640 GB Caviar SE16
8. EVGA 8800 GTS 512 MB (G92)
9 Samsung 302N DVD ROM
10 Vista Ultimate

I put the computer together over the weekend. With the minor exception of not putting the 24 pin ATX securely enough the first time, which I quickly corrected, everything went smoothly. And it'S QUIET!!!

Bios reports temperature at idle between 29 and 31c.

Once in Windows, Speed Fan shows temps somewhere I believe around 41C or so with minimal activity.

I still need to work on cable management and will be adding a few more fans.

Then I plan to do some stress testing and then hopefully some overclocking with everyone's help. I have never overclocked before so will need lots of assistance and suggestions. However, I only plan to do a moderate overclock. Nothing extreme for my first time. :)

I'm grateful for your willingness to help

Allan

Nice system. Thanks for letting us know how things turned out.

For your first "overclock adventure" let the PC do it for you [:wr2]
After that it's up to you to improve on what the PC managed to figure out on it's own! [:wr2:5]

Allanag

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2002
Hi WR2,

Does the Gigabyte's Windows utility Ntune or whatever it is called helpful with overclocking? How easy will it be to go into the MIT and overclock there? I took a quick peak at some of the settings, but don't even know where to begin with changing the values in there.

Allan

chrisfromalbany

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2008
I just used the bios and not the Ntune but that was just me. I found the ASUS easier to OC because I could set the exact voltage. I did the OCing with a Q6600 though.

righteous

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2006
If I could make one strong suggestion that will give big returns, it would be to replace the fan on the xigmatek with an aerocool extreme turbine. It's the one that is rated at 89cfm.

I don't know if it meets that rating, but it's a world away from the stock fan and has the pressure to push the air through the heatsink rather well.

Don't listen to the scant reviews out there, just buy it and try it.
It dropped my 3.8ghz q6600 by 10c.

I demand pictures

Also for your dvddrive, there is a good 3rd party firmware update that I highly recommend... especially if you make backups of your dvds. you can grab it at club.cdfreaks.com

chrisfromalbany

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2008

Sorry to blow up your spot but not the best.
It is rated 133.60 CFM about 40 points higher. If you can take the noise this is the ulimate
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835185054

otherwise you go with this..
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835226013
90 CFM
18 dBA

Aragorn

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2005

Seeing the stats on that second fan made me want to go get two for my case. Then I saw the reviews. Way too many people are having prolems with it there are other legitimately quiet fans out there (not 18dBA, but I have a pair that I think are about 22dBA) buy one of the others.

orangegator

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2007
Very nice system. You picked some very good parts. As for overclocking, do it thru the bios. Forget about ntune or other software. There are many guides out there to help you overclock. Search these forums or google and you should find all the info you need. GL

Allanag

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2002
Hi Orangegator,

I will do as you suggest and will probably verify my changes with all of you here when I am at that point.

I certainly don't want to blow up anything at this point. :p

By the way, is it just me or does anyone else find putting the IO Shield on a **$#*&# in the you know what.

If you find it easy, please let me know your secret. Mine was ornery and didn't want to cooperate with me very easily. :)

I originally put one of those Thermaltake 3 in 1 fans on the top of my CM690 case, but it roared at startup, and was clearly audible even at 8.0v. I replaced it with a Rosewill blue LED fan, and it is MUCH quieter, but still moves enough air that I can feel it; a piece of notebook paper laid over it will blow off.

Allanag

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2002
I think you're right Jtt.

Sometimes, they snap right in, but often they don't quite fit right or something. Anyways, I won that battle and I got it in its proper place. :)