Hard drives not in raid anymore

I had two drives set in a software raid configuration. i updated my bios and now the drives are not in raid anymore. I have decieded not to rebuild the raid array since I really wasn't getting much of a performance boost from it and don't really need the data security. The two drives are now C: and E:. Can I keep the C: drive as my main hard drive and just delete the information off of the E: drive and use E: as internal storage? If so, how would I go about this?
9 answers Last reply
More about hard drives raid anymore
  1. Errrrr... shouldn't the answer to that be obvious to you? Yes! But you'll have to reformat both disks, since formerly-RAID drives aren't readable just like that.
  2. r_manic said:
    Errrrr... shouldn't the answer to that be obvious to you? Yes! But you'll have to reformat both disks, since formerly-RAID drives aren't readable just like that.

I was trying to find a way around reformating both disks because I don't want to have to reinstall windows and update everything again.
  3. Sound like you were using RAID1 is that correct?

Are you already booting from C:\ ?
  4. wuzy said:
    Sound like you were using RAID1 is that correct?

Are you already booting from C:\ ?

Yes I believe I was using raid 1. And I am booting from C:\. I am also able to unplug the E:\ drive and still start up the computer.
  5. you either use your raid array or reformat both discs and start over
  6. RAID 1 gives no performance boost, thats why you didnt notice a difference...
  7. Quote:
    Can I keep the C: drive as my main hard drive and just delete the information off of the E: drive and use E: as internal storage? If so, how would I go about this?

Since you're already using the two drives separately and using one of the two (C:\) as boot drive already, then just format E:\ and you're done.
  8. RAID 1 gives a read performance boost, well depending on the controller anyway.
  9. wuzy said:
    Quote:
    Can I keep the C: drive as my main hard drive and just delete the information off of the E: drive and use E: as internal storage? If so, how would I go about this?

Since you're already using the two drives separately and using one of the two (C:\) as boot drive already, then just format E:\ and you're done.

Just did it and it worked fine. Now I have E:\ set up as extra space and I am running windows of of C:\. Thanks for the help.
Ask a new question

Read More

NAS / RAID Hard Drives Storage