Sign in with
Your question

Hard drives not in raid anymore

Last response: in Storage
July 13, 2009 8:06:48 PM

I had two drives set in a software raid configuration. i updated my bios and now the drives are not in raid anymore. I have decieded not to rebuild the raid array since I really wasn't getting much of a performance boost from it and don't really need the data security. The two drives are now C: and E:. Can I keep the C: drive as my main hard drive and just delete the information off of the E: drive and use E: as internal storage? If so, how would I go about this?
a b G Storage
July 14, 2009 3:19:51 AM

Errrrr... shouldn't the answer to that be obvious to you? Yes! But you'll have to reformat both disks, since formerly-RAID drives aren't readable just like that.
July 14, 2009 4:39:52 AM

r_manic said:
Errrrr... shouldn't the answer to that be obvious to you? Yes! But you'll have to reformat both disks, since formerly-RAID drives aren't readable just like that.

I was trying to find a way around reformating both disks because I don't want to have to reinstall windows and update everything again.
Related resources
a b G Storage
July 15, 2009 12:06:20 PM

Sound like you were using RAID1 is that correct?

Are you already booting from C:\ ?
July 15, 2009 5:53:30 PM

wuzy said:
Sound like you were using RAID1 is that correct?

Are you already booting from C:\ ?

Yes I believe I was using raid 1. And I am booting from C:\. I am also able to unplug the E:\ drive and still start up the computer.
a b G Storage
July 15, 2009 6:30:24 PM

you either use your raid array or reformat both discs and start over
July 15, 2009 6:46:47 PM

RAID 1 gives no performance boost, thats why you didnt notice a difference...
a b G Storage
July 15, 2009 9:42:07 PM

Quote:
Can I keep the C: drive as my main hard drive and just delete the information off of the E: drive and use E: as internal storage? If so, how would I go about this?

Since you're already using the two drives separately and using one of the two (C:\) as boot drive already, then just format E:\ and you're done.
July 15, 2009 11:18:15 PM

RAID 1 gives a read performance boost, well depending on the controller anyway.
July 16, 2009 1:54:52 AM

wuzy said:
Quote:
Can I keep the C: drive as my main hard drive and just delete the information off of the E: drive and use E: as internal storage? If so, how would I go about this?

Since you're already using the two drives separately and using one of the two (C:\) as boot drive already, then just format E:\ and you're done.

Just did it and it worked fine. Now I have E:\ set up as extra space and I am running windows of of C:\. Thanks for the help.
!