Sign in with
Your question

homebrew with tesla c870

Last response: in Systems
April 29, 2008 2:31:42 PM

Gents:

Has anyone tried to build kit using the NV Tesla C870 card ? Yep, this would be for a home-brew scientific number crunching application. Home-brew C-code running under UBUNTU Linux.

More about : homebrew tesla c870

April 29, 2008 2:49:48 PM

No, but have fun spending that $1300 on the card alone. :) 
a b 5 Linux
April 29, 2008 3:28:24 PM

ubuntu sucks... the latest build defaults to pulse audio *yuck*
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
April 29, 2008 5:37:33 PM

Hummm:

NV is currently "giving away" the card for $640. Yes, the kit is meant for scientific polymer-folding problems for which an "extreme" gamers-box is little better than a 6502.
Yep, *nix is not for everyone ... tho my current amd5400+/DDrake_6.06 system has performed effortlessly and without issue for 2-y. OO handels my lectures, GCC my code and U-Tube ... well, I can watch "muski" fishing videos just fine.
April 29, 2008 6:15:03 PM

I agree...its for a specific segment of users. Its like reading all those forums of people finding the msot expensive cards and yelling "I'm getting one of these to play Quake 3 with!!" ...buddy, that's a Quadro/FireGL card...not meant to game with...

So, yes, I agree, it has specific purposes...just dang expensive, but I'm sure worth the cost for those using it. Good luck...get it while the 'sale' is on.
April 30, 2008 11:46:36 PM

Another potentially excellent market for this would be for render-geeks. A very nice affordable "render-farm-in-a-box".
!