PCI-E 2.0 Card work in PCI-E 1.1 slot?

element54

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2006
So here is the deal.

My Radeon X1900XTX burnt out on me a month ago and as a replacement Gigabyte wants to give me an HD 3870. That is cool n' all but my motherboard only supports PCI-E 1.1.

So the quick question is, will the video card recognize the PCI slot on my motherboard or should i tell Gigabyte to downgrade the replacement to a PCI-E 1.1 video card?

According to Wiki it should be fine but i just want some second oppinions.

Wikipedia said:
"PCIe 2.0 is backward and forward compatible with PCIe v1.x. Graphic cards and motherboards designed for v2.0 will be able to work with v1.1 and v1.0, and vice versa. In some rare cases it is possible that a PCI-E 2.0 card will not work correctly on a PCI-E 1.0a slot. This is only limited to certain video cards."

Thanks

Well as I'm running dual 8800GT's (which state PCI-e 2.0 on the boxes) on a 680i motherboard and having no issues other than having to suffer framerates deep into the triple figures, I would have to say that I think you'll be OK with a HD 3870. :)

element54

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2006
This happened

coolgreenlines.jpg

It is cool and all that i'm gettin a big upgrade on the video card but now i will just be tempted to upgrade the rest of my computer.

thanks for the quick replies guys.