Sign-in / Sign-up
Your question

Brand New PC build - Having a TON of trouble please help.

Tags:
  • CPUs
Last response: in CPUs
May 31, 2008 9:41:24 PM

Hey guys, I just recently spent alot of money getting a gaming PC up and running and I have had nothing but problems. Maybe someone can point me in the right direction? So I am currently running Core Temp and my temps while idle run about 50C and under load seem to push over 60C. Last night while playing Age of Conan, after about an hour the machine just rebooted (almost like the PC got to hot). No warnings, no nothing... just a reboot. The other problem I have constantly is the entire machine halting. As in I can not move the mouse, can not do anything but hard boot by holding down the power button. When this happens sometimes I get a little graphical bug in the top left corner... it looks like a bunch of small red dots.

I have updated my board drivers, I am running the current updated 8800 drivers and I am really really pissed right now :)  Any help would be GREATLY appreciated...

OS Name Microsoft® Windows Vista™ Ultimate
Version 6.0.6000 Build 6000
Other OS Description Not Available
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Name BOB-PC
System Manufacturer NVIDIA
System Model 122-CK-NF68
System Type x64-based PC
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E8400 @ 3.00GHz, 3000 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 2 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Version/Date Phoenix Technologies, LTD 6.00 PG, 9/28/2007
SMBIOS Version 2.4
Windows Directory C:\Windows
System Directory C:\Windows\system32
Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1
Locale United States
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "6.0.6000.16407"
User Name bob-PC\bob
Time Zone Pacific Daylight Time
Total Physical Memory 4,093.75 MB
Available Physical Memory 2.70 GB
Total Virtual Memory 8.15 GB
Available Virtual Memory 6.72 GB
Page File Space 4.29 GB
Page File C:\pagefile.sys

More about : brand build ton trouble

May 31, 2008 10:15:29 PM

Shameless Bump, I really dont want to have to send this in to the PC store.
a b à CPUs
May 31, 2008 10:20:29 PM

topdawg you should list your system specs incl. RAM, PSU, etc. The most likely cause of the system freeze up (hardware related) is your RAM. In BIOS set the RAM voltage to 2.0-2.1v. Also set the speed and timings to specs. You may need to bump up the Northbridge voltage also. I use 1.41v on my x38 chipset. Other than RAM, your video card's memory may be overheating. You PSU may have a problem. It can be any numbe of things causing the lockup. Driver. Corrupt OS files from all the crashs you are having. HTH.
Related resources
May 31, 2008 10:25:11 PM

OK, could be a lot of things so let start eliminating some options.
Reboot your PC, get into the bios an load the default settings, then download coretemp or realtemp and orthos (google them, they are free and require no installation) fire up coretemp or realtemp (or both) and then start orthos in small ftt mode, check the temps, if any temp gets past 65ºC or so unplug your PC, remove the HSF from the CPU, clean the thermal paste, reapply some and reseat the HSF (read artic silver's page on how to do this), the download nvtemplogger (again google) and rthdribl (yet again google), open both and check your GPU temps, if they get over 105ºC or so, underclock your GPU or get some better cooling for it, then download MEMTEST and make a bootable disk (floppy or cd) , let it run for a copule of hours and see if it reports any (ANY) errors.

Run all these tests and come back with your results.

Anyway, most likely problems are: ram undervolted piece o cake to solve, gpu underpowered, easily solvable, cpu or gpu overheating, not as easy but easy still, bad RAM, easy, bad PSU, easy, bad CPU, quite aproblem, bad GPU, quite a problem, bad Mobo, bitch of a problem.
May 31, 2008 10:38:44 PM

Awesome its a good place to start.

Okay Lets see:
System Specs
EVGA 680i
N-Spire X-extreme Series (believe its 650watt, not sure how to check withouth pulling it out).
Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E8400 @ 3.00GHz
Running Kingston RAM (supposedly low latency) and I am not sure how to check the actuall model number on it. I know its 800fsb
How can I check my video card to see if its overheating?

P.S. I am looking at Core Temp right now and its up to 62 spiking between 20-80% load ( i am currently Downloading 700mb). When I have crashed I look at the bios setting which tells me about 58C and i check core temp and its about the same (although, I have not had core temp running while having a hard reboot). I have only had it running while vista crashes.

1) So I guess I need to start out with the RAM to find out if its undervoltaged. To do this I need to find out exactly what RAM right?
2) GPU shouldnt be underpowered since this PSU doesnt come under 600watts and the 8800GTX states it wants 450watts.
3) CPU overheating ( a very good possibility) What is my Processor supposed to stay under even in max load? Can I just get another FAN put in the case?
4) GPU overheating (download the links you told me)
5) Bad RAM - just run MEM test and that should be that?
6) bad PSU/CPU/Mobo (how do we know if its bad?
May 31, 2008 10:51:58 PM

This really sounds like a cpu overheat error. The temps you listed seem to be high for an E8400, you didn't mention if you were overclocked or not so that may be the problem / difference. Please inform us of any overclock. To find out the type of RAM you have please download CPU-Z, it is free and is awesome. Once downloaded go to the third of fourth tab to see the ram and what timings they are running at. Keep us posted.
May 31, 2008 10:53:27 PM

No overclocking at all right now, I am running a ThermalQuake Tower and I will download CPU-z right now.
May 31, 2008 11:05:09 PM

Alright, let us know what your results are. I still think that is a bit high for an e8400 45 nm should run nice and cool.
May 31, 2008 11:14:12 PM

Hmm: According to my purchase sheet I bought:

Mem-DDR2 2GB DDR2 DDR DUNN 240-Pin 667MHz

CPUZ reports:

Type: DDR2 (why the **** would they put DDR2 in this machine, they said the latency was better)

Size 4096 Mbytes
Dual Channel

Freq: 400.00 MHz
FSB:D RAM 5:8
CL = 5.0 clocks
TRCD = 5 clocks
TRP 5 Clocks
TRAS 18 clocks
tRC 23 Clocks
Command Rate 2T
May 31, 2008 11:44:57 PM

Real Temp (which is supposed to be the best for the E8400 because of the true TJ setting) is 10C lower than Core Temp.

Idle im about 45C, under full load 100% using the Orthos Program... im at 62C. According to manufacture, 72C is safe... so I am well under that... but it doesnt include how hot everything gets when the 8800GTX is running.

What next?
a b à CPUs
June 1, 2008 1:37:38 AM

Reseat the HSF - if you have some decent cpu grease ... Arctic Silver is good.

1. Powerdown.
2. Remove HSF.
3. Clean base of HSF ... remove the old grease.
4. Clean top of Cpu.
5. Apply new grease to HSF ... about a "grain of rice" is enough and spread it evenly in the centre of the HSF where the cpu is going to make contact.
6. Reseat cooler on socket and ensure retention mechanism is positively locked.
7. connect HSF fan power to mobo.

Fire up and goto bios and check new temps ... let it run for a while.

report back
June 1, 2008 2:00:42 AM

You have a 680i, so here is the help-

Adjust the bios to give your ram at least 2.05 volts, it killed me for 2 months!

Stock board settings are 1.8, not enough for the low latency stuff.

Hit delete on startup, enter bios, 3rd setting down is advanced chipset , scroll down to system voltages, and set the ram to 2.025.

Then hit escape, enter the fsb tab, and unlink the fsb and ram, and you should be good to go.

Also, update the bios to at least P31 for the e8400, P32 is the latest.

Google "overclock 680i", and follow the directions, if you can't find it, pm me with your email and I will email you the detailed instructions.
June 3, 2008 3:06:53 PM

I agree with reynod, sounds like a cpu Overheat issue...Compare your Case Temp with your CPU temp in the bios to see if there's a vast difference to see if it's your CPU or something else. If there is a big difference between the two, reseat the HSF