No vga signal- i almost sure caused by new cpu

andosguy

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2008
Hi, i just bought a quad core q9450 to replace my old pentium 4 3.0ghz. I put in the q9450 and was forced to use my previous cooling fan because my mobo only supported screw-in fans. The fan is enough. When i turn on the computer, it runs fine, all the fans run, and a green light on the case turns on. Thats when i look on my monitor and it says "no vga signal". I have a 8800gts 320mb version running to the monitor and yes i checked that the 6-pin power was connected and the fan on the video card runs. Then i checked the monitor with another computer with no problems. Then i tried putting back my old cpu, and everything works perfectly. I litterally recieved the new proccesor from newegg.com like yesterday, and it has the same socket lga775, as it fitted perfectly. Could anyone help, it would be greatly appreciated, so that i dont have to file a claim with newegg for a return and bother with shipping, if it could have been solved on my end. THANKS!!! :)

yadge

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2007
What motherboard do you have? Although the processors are the same socket, older motherboards do not support the newer processors. We need to know what motherboard you have.

andosguy

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2008

my computer is a Compaq Presario SR2170NX that has a ECS RC415ST-HM / Alhena5-GL6 motherboard im getting the specs from herehttp://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c00835809&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&product=3340210&lang=en
help is greatly appreciated, THANKS! :)

andosguy

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2008

I have this motherboard ECS RC415ST-HM / Alhena5-GL6 motherboard
THANKS! :)

roadrunner197069

Splendid
Sep 3, 2007
Well they usually use really cheap crappy mobos. You need a new mobo if you want that CPU.

CPU/Processor Socket: 775
Supports the following processors:
Pentium D 900 series
Pentium 4 601 series
Celeron D 3xx series

You ant even use a core 2 duo let alone a q9450.

Predicator

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2008
:pfff: That is not correct. Although this motherboard ECS RC415ST-HM / Alhena5-GL6 motherboard is not compatible with to many processors it is compatible with a duel core processor. I know this because I have one in my system. I have a Pentium D 940 duel core 3.2 GHz processor. This process comes with a fan that will fit the board and stays pretty cool and works vewry well. Now atm the only thing that hold me back it the vidoe card to which I am in the process of obtaining.

So I recommend instead of looking for a compatible motherboard and having to reformat the computer that you simple return the new purchase CPU to newegg.com and visit Tigerdirect and purchase

Intel Pentium D 940 3.2Ghz DT 800FSB Socket 775

with

Masscool 8W553 Intel Socket 775 CPU Fan 3.6GHZ

and upgrade grafics to the ATI 3870.

:wahoo:

roadrunner197069

Splendid
Sep 3, 2007

Why would he want to buy a old crappy Dual core instead of a new core 2 duo that will outperform yours by 2x?

Predicator

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2008
I am not stating that my the processor is better then what he has. I am only stating that the processor I listed and have would work for what he has as a POS MOBO. Essentially he can go out and buy a new MOBO and then spend the time reformatting and re-installing all the added programs and software/games back to the computer and yet that could potentially cost more money. Now if he wished he may stick with the POS and exchange the CPU for the one that I have to save some moeny. But then again I think that would be up to him. Now as for my CPU there is nothing wrong with my processor. It works fine for the time being. I out preform in most people I know with duel core and mine is overclocked at 4.3 GHz. The only thing that hold me back is the video card that I am waiting to receive from newegg.

roadrunner197069

Splendid
Sep 3, 2007
Yours at 4.3 must be a room heater. Even at 4.3 its still a piece o crap compared to a 2.6 core 2 duo. If you dont think so run 3dmark 06 and give me your CPU score and I'll show you a 2.6 core 2 duo cpu score.

DaveElls

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2006

Actually, it is correct. He said it's not compatible with the core 2 duo processors, he said nothing about pentium d dual cores. However the simple fact is the pentium d's are not worth the price they paid to manufacture them and anyone who spends money on them right now probably got suckered by a sales rep trying to clear inventory. The problem is he purchased a processor thats using the current technology with a motherboard that is several generations behind.