What are the best brands of hard disks

smithinator101

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2009
I am looking to buy an new hard drive as my ancient 40gb hard drive no longer suits my needs, could you plese tell me what the best brands of hard drives are and what to look for eg speed, cache etc ( i will be using it for gaming so it needs to be good) the amount i want to get is 1tb, thanks for the help :)

theholylancer

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2005

FW flash for the .11s has made sure that mine 1 TB didn't die yet, it was the main OS disk, then I went with Win7 RC and got a 1 TB WD Black with the .11 in as a storage (I didn't even clean it, It would still function as win xp in my old A64 rig lol)

Make sure you know what type of drive (PATA vs. SATA) you have so that you buy one that's compatible with your system.

The WD Caviar Blacks seem to be well regarded. The WD Velociraptors are the fastest, but are very pricey and are not available in sizes above 300GB.

theholylancer

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2005
WD blacks are the best ones here and is usually more expensive, but since retailers are clearing stocks on 1 TB drives they may be priced the same, if so just grab some WD blacks. but be *** ing sure its not one of them trashy eco green lines, they suck balls as the main OS, acceptable as mass media storage if you got 6 drive raid + hot spare setup and needs the power and heat saving, but ppl been trying to say these are good enough for main os when they are not

EDit: Toms censor ate half my post!!!!!!

nitro1964

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2009
What ever u decide, stay away from Seagate no matter what ppl say. I bought a Seagate 1TB with the latest firmware installed, and one day it was working the next for no reason what so ever, it is now a paper weight.

It powers up but PC will not see it, no matter what i try. So stay the hell away from them. Go with WD "Black" as ppl have mentioned, less money is no object, Raptors are very fast but limited in size. I will NEVER get a Seagate again, I have lost over 200gb of data on that naff drive. Hope this helps point you in right direction.

smithinator101

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2009
thanks for all the great advice i think ill go with the wd black if anyone as anything to add feel free thanks again to everyone who commented :)

andy5174

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009

If you haven't ordered the black yet...

There's one thing that I think you should know before getting the 1TB BLACK. That is the BLACK is very NOISY, at least compared to a Cavier SE which is an older version. I was a bit disappointed with its noise level when I first got it.

Good luck with your new drive!

Generally speaking I stick with Western Digital. For basic storage I use their Green Drives (for music & video). For the OS and games I use their Black Drives.

Seagate is ok.

Maxtor I avoid like the plague due to multiple issues in the past (even though they are now owned by Seagate).

andy5174

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009

1TB BLACK is of course better and much better than the SE. However, it's really noisy so that you can hear the sound come out from it clearly and easily.

PERFORMANCE:

1. 640GB BLACK is very quiet according to someone(BUT I CAN'T GUARANTY THAT AS I DON'T HAVE ONE) and it is ranked as best OS drive by several peoples.

2. Seagate 500GB is very quiet and recommended by almost as much people as the 640GB BLACK

POWER CONSUMPTION:

1. A lot for the WD BLACK

2. Much less for Seagate 12

HISTORY:

1. WD is known to be good all the time

2. Seagate has the firmware issue with both its 10th and 11th generation

WARRANTY:

1. 5-year warranty for the BLACK, whereas, 3 years only for the Seagate

2. According to someone who has both Seagate and BLACK, the WD's warranty service is superior to the Seagate.
(The "someone" said that the shipping cost for RMA is just $5 for the WD, but $25 for Seagate)

theholylancer

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2005
keep in mind that shipping cost is a warehouse issue, if they want you to ship from Alaska to Cali then obviously that cost just skyrocketed.

I got WD B and I don't hear anything from it unless i try when it is being accessed,

then again i got some 230mm and 140mm fans all over in my Haf932, and that is NOT a quiet setup when my evga mobo decides that SMART fan = turn them all on at 100% since I'm pulling a 4 Ghz OC on the cpu............