Sign in with
Your question

Adding Second CPU Dell Precision 450

Last response: in CPUs
June 1, 2008 1:55:55 AM

Hi,

I have an old Dell Precision Workstation 450. It has a single Intel XEON 2.4GHz cpu inside. I've got a second Intel XEON 2.4GHz cpu that I'm trying to add inside since it has a slot for a second cpu. The 2 cpus are the same family and are both in working condition when in single cpu mode. But when I put the second cpu inside, the system won't start/boot.

Any ideas ?

Thanks
June 1, 2008 3:00:45 AM

Are you running a server OS or normal one? windows xp home and I want to say vista (correct me if im wrong) doesnt support multiple CPU's, though im assuming your running a server OS due to having the ability of multiple CPU's.
June 1, 2008 4:03:52 AM

Did you add a Voltage Regulator Module (VRM)?

It's a small card that goes in the slot between your second CPU socket and the AGP slot - you got to have one for 2-CPU operation.

If you don't have one, I'd try ebay as new ones are ~$80:
http://www.impactcomputers.com/4k666.html

Related resources
a c 110 à CPUs
June 2, 2008 1:48:50 AM

th3rookie said:
Hi,

I have an old Dell Precision Workstation 450. It has a single Intel XEON 2.4GHz cpu inside. I've got a second Intel XEON 2.4GHz cpu that I'm trying to add inside since it has a slot for a second cpu. The 2 cpus are the same family and are both in working condition when in single cpu mode. But when I put the second cpu inside, the system won't start/boot.

Any ideas ?

Thanks

Check the second cpu and vrm on their own to verify they work before you add the second cpu.

Verify psu compatibility. If the mobo manual 'recommends' eps 24-pin & 8-pin connectors it pretty much is a requirement.

WinXP/Win2k Pro or a 'Nix needed to boot into OS.

Does that workstation require ecc ram ???
June 3, 2008 11:06:24 PM

Its probably the VRM card, its missing... Thanks for your help!

UPDATE: It was the VRM card, workstation up and running!
!