upgrading my gfx card

4745454b

Titan
And your point is? I have no idea what card can run on a 250W/14A PSU. I'm not even sure the 7300GT is crap, maybe its just starved for power. I believe even current lowend cards call for 350W, not sure about the amps. I think you should upgrade your PSU to something better. See if your 7300GT gets less crappy. If you still don't like it, perhaps a 3650 will be more to your liking. With as few details as you gave up, its hard to say. (If you'd like real advice, let us know whats in your computer, what res you game at, what games you like to play, etc.)

sabot00

Distinguished
May 4, 2008
Im not gonna upgrade anything else Im building a new PC in a few months. Basically i want a taste of ATI cards, if it sucks like crap (well lets face it its not gonna be as bad as the 7300GT) its not gonna affect me.

And 4745454b the 7300GT doesnt need any PCIe connectors.

dagger

Splendid
Mar 23, 2008

A few months without gaming? How will you live! :na:

Just wait it out. No reason to pour in any more money. Doesn't matter how cheap it is, it's still a waste. :p

4745454b

Titan
I never said it needed one. The 7300GT gets its power from the AGP/PCIe socket. If the PSU is so bad that it can't supply enough power, then the 7300GT could be starved for power, and run like crap.

If you are going to build a new PC in a few months, I would not buy a video card now. New cards from AMD are supposed to be here by perhaps the end of this month, Nvidia's are supposed to arrive around June/July. Even if you don't buy one of these, they should help force the prices of current cards down. Seeing as you need one anyways, I'd spend your money on a good PSU, one that will carry over to the new build.

pauldh

Illustrious
Odd reasoning, but I'll forget that and continue. :)

If you are in the USA, there are some real cheap HD2600 pro and 2600XT cards now. Make sure it's 128-bit not 64-but. But you can get a 2600 pro with the Witcher game for about $40AR. The 64-bit power color would be slower and is loud. I have an MSI 512MB that is $39.99 AR and it's quiet. 256MB is about $5 less shipped.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Description=HD+2600pro

Faster would be the 2600XT, for $50-60AR. Problem is I think you are pushing it with the PSU with the pro even never mind the higher clocked XT.

You could also go for a crappy HD3450 since it's dirt cheap and even less power hungry.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121230

RizzyWho

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2006
I recommend spending a little bit of money on a new PSU, then upgrade the gfx card after the newer series comes out as there should be "MEGA" price drops.

= More bang for buck = Logical = Happy :)