MSI P6N Platinum BSOD

rcmit

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2008
I've got an MSI P6N Platinum with an Intel Core 2 Duo 2.66GHZ and 2GB Crucial PC2-6400. I've been getting about 2 BSOD per day. When I reboot I run Microsoft Memory Test. Immediately I receive memory errors, almost continuously. When I reseat the memory modules and run the memory check again, it runs clean, even for 24 hours or more.

I've swapped mother boards (previously ASUS P5N-E SLI), power supplies, and used another set of Crucial memory modules. At times I will not get a BSOD for a few days, other times it will happen 2 or 3 times a day, even in the middle of the night. I've updated the BIOS and all drivers.

At times when the PC reboots I'll get a message that the previous overclocking settings have failed. I never overclock. The only change that I made to the BIOS settings is for memory timing. It's now 5-5-5-12 2T (think that I read this on a board from a Crucial engineer). Sometimes the BIOS settings will be changed after a BSOD, especially the boot sequence.

Any ideas?

rgsaunders

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2007
What is the DDR voltage level set at? You said you haven't adjusted anything in the bios except memory timing. It may be that your memory requires a higher voltage level, most boards default to 1.8, but frequently Crucial 6400 requires that it be set to 2.0 or 2.1. If I recall correctly your board increases voltage for the DDR in .05V steps, which means you would have to increase it by 4 to 6 steps about default.

Another issue noted with that board was the lousy TIM used on the mobo heatsinks. Recommended that you remove the heatsinks, clean them thoroughly with isopropyl alcohol and a coffee filter (lint free), clean the associated chips of any residual TIM, spread a very thin layer of Arctic Silver 5 or similar quality heatsink compound, and carefully reinstall the heatsink assembly.

rcmit

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2008
Thanks. I never adjusted the memory voltage so it's set at 1.8v. I looked up the Crucial specs for this memory and it calls for 2.2v. Today I came home to find that there apparently was a BSOD and on rebooting (it never reboots on its own) found that all the CMOS settings had been cleared