9600 gt SLI question

mergle

Distinguished
May 13, 2008
I have a small issue.. I have a Sparkle 9600 gt. I only bought one with the system to save a bit of money. I would like to run SLI with another one. I have looked online for a couple weeks and cant seem to find another Sparkle brand card anywhere. At least not the 9600 gt. I know I read in the first forum topic that you can have 2 9600 gt's and they can be from different manufacturers. I have heard from a lot of people that this is not a good idea. I guess before I shell out the money for a Palit or something to SLI with my Sparkle, I wanted some reassurance or maybe a suggestion on which brand might be better suited to SLI with the Sparkle or any other info I may need to know. My sparkle is not the fanless one or overclocked its just a standard 9600 gt. 512........... Thank you

I have read in several posts that its ok to go with different brands they just have to have the same vpu. It suposedly will clock down to the slowest card which is fine.

Give it a try and if you have a problem just return the card. Are you buying locally or online? I like to buy locally in cases like that.

dagger

Splendid
Mar 23, 2008
Brand doesn't matter. Nvidia makes the gpu, then sell to different companies. Those "manufacturers" have to put the same gpu on the same card layout required by Nvidia, they aren't really doing much "manufacturering."

It'll work. Anyone who say it won't work because of brands don't know what they're talking about.

mergle

Distinguished
May 13, 2008
I see. I just wasnt sure, you hear conflicting answers about these things, so I appreciate the input. Ill go with the best sale in that case... Probably ASUS... They seem pretty reasonable on price.