AsantaSane

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2008
So before I start, let me just say that I have already replaced both the Power Supply and Motherboard (still getting the same results)

Specs :

Case : Apevia (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811144128)

Mother Board : BFG Tech BFG680i SLi LGA 775

Processor : http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115037
(verified that it is compatible, just needs to flash bios to max speed)

Ram : AllComponents 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel kit Desktop Memory

Harddrive : Seagate ST303204N1A1A-RK 320GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache IDE Ultra ATA100 Hard Drive

(Unfortunately the harddrive is a PATA, and not a SATA, but it works with my cd-rom which is still ribboned as well)

Power Supply : http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817702003

I was also insured that the power supply would be more then enough.

So for all of you enthusiast out there, here is my problem. I can get the mobo itself to post up to code 18 or 1B, which ever that is suppose to be. The technician on the phone said that was saying that my processor wasn't running at full speed. My problem arrives when I begin connecting pieces of the hardware. I can connect the cd-rom, hard drive, and video card and boot... If i ribbon the cd-rom and HD to the motherboard it will not boot. Also, if I connect any of the case fans, it will not boot. (It will boot for 1 second and shut off in all scenarios)

The technician told me it was my processor, and that it was bad. Curious as to what all of you enthusiast out there may be able to tell me.

rtfm

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2007
So does it post with just gfx card? If so can you get to bios?

Maybe it needs a bios update to work at all with your cpu, in which case you'll need a compatible cpu first to do that bios flash.

Reviews on newegg aren't exactly shining:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813189003

Other things to look out for (in no particular order):

1) No shorts (i.e. standoffs are all ok mobo not touching case). Try with mobo not in case.

2) Psu is ok, everything plugged in properly?

3) Try with just gfx and one stick of ram, monitor and keyboard (try different sticks and in different slots if no luck)

4) Heatsink and fan are on correctly? CPU fan is plugged in the right place?

5) Clear CMOS

6) Bash with large hammer until flat

Grimmy

Splendid
Feb 20, 2006
Have you looked at your MB manual?

I D/L the PDF manual, and there is a section that shows the codes there:

Appendix A.
On-board LED Codes

I suppose that LED thingy is kinda hard to read, since 18 and 1B would look the same.

But try using that Appendix to see what you can figure out.

You say it will boot with everything connected, but won't boot if you "ribbon" them. What does that mean???? Do you have the jumpers set correctly to master and slave if you put them on the same cable?
Can you get into the BIOS and manually set the processor to the correct speed and voltages?

AsantaSane

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2008
I suppose I should of said it will post up to 18 / 1B with them hooked to the power supply, but not when they are also ribboned to the motherboard.

G

not everything in the system is powered through te motherboard... only ram, cpu and mobo are powered by the mobo... everything else has individual power supply connectors

Um, well okay there. I suggest you enlist the help of a friend to trouble shoot your problem.

Granite3

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2006
As a former 680i owner, I know you have to have at LEAST the P30/31 bios loaded for the board to work with the wolfie cpu you have.

Either slap another cpu (e series ie e6600, e6750, or an old P4), and boot, then install P32 bios(current), then replace, or have board mfr send you a current bios chip to install.

When you do get it up and running, set your memory voltage to at least 2.0 ( stock is 1.8) for stability. Rough running with less juice to the ram on that board.

AsantaSane

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2008
Well apparently the code 18 means that there is something wrong with the processor. I suppose I will just have intel replace the one I currently have, and give that ago. Unfortunately I don't have access to an extra compatible processor =[ Thanks for all or your help though :)

endyen

Splendid
Pity he wont be back. The only thing wrong with his chip is that the mobo doesn't know what it is. The next one wont do any better.
Remember, if you are buying a mobo for the latest chip, you need to confirm that the bios rev. for that chip has been installed.

AsantaSane

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2008
they already confirmed that it was compatible, i still check this you know =P. Just in case someone has something to say :)

AsantaSane

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2008
They are the default bios, what ever comes stock. They said the processor would be recognized and it would only run at 1300-1500mhz... and in order to make it run at capacity, you would have to update the bios. This is my first time building a computer... was told it would be easy =P I've been proven otherwise