Sign in with
Your question

Coolest Power Supply (Temp wise)

Last response: in Components
June 1, 2008 3:47:15 PM

Howdy guys and gals,

After some much searching, I've come to no conclusion on what power supply runs generally the coolest. I have an issue where my PC is in my room. As a result, I live in an oven.

So, from your experiences, or from reading texts online, what is the coolest running power supply you've come across?

Thanks
June 1, 2008 4:23:05 PM

My PC Power and Cooling 750w Silencer PSU runs insanely cool despite being cooled by just a 80mm fan. My PC is also in my room.
June 1, 2008 6:44:49 PM

modtech said:
My PC Power and Cooling 750w Silencer PSU runs insanely cool despite being cooled by just a 80mm fan. My PC is also in my room.

Thanks. I'm pretty sure most of my heat is coming from my PSU. I have a Zalman 9700 cranked all the way up on my 5000 Black (3.22 GHz).

Case:
Thermaltake Matrix
2 x 120mm
Related resources
June 1, 2008 9:01:24 PM

I've got a 5000 black too. Although I'm sitting at 3GHz with stock voltage because I have DDR2 667 so I'd have to shoot for 3.3 to get my ram's speed back. I really should upgrade that ram.
a b ) Power supply
June 1, 2008 9:18:06 PM

you may want to get a AC unit for your window. I have 2 monitors, a q6600 oced to 3ghz, 2 raptors and corsair 650 watt psu. and my pc doesn't turn my room into an inferno. A new psu is not likely to make a real noticable difference.

What are the temps in your room after the pc has been on for awhile? what are the exhaust temps comming from the back of your pc?
June 1, 2008 9:52:07 PM

I'm 100% certain it's due to my PC. A PC can dramatically effect the temperature. Prior to moving my PC, I kept the AC at a relatively cool temperature with no fans. Now, the AC is down to 55 degree Fahrenheit with 3 fans in the room and it's still sweltering.

I haven't measured the temps, but I do know one of the hottest components of the PC is the power supply. And I know Thermaltake's track record of not exactly being the coolest.
June 1, 2008 9:54:36 PM

PsyKhiqZero said:
you may want to get a AC unit for your window.

Yeah, that makes sense too, but I'll be moving in a few months and won't need the AC.
June 1, 2008 10:11:17 PM

generally a PSU will two fan would be ideal like some of the enermax PSU.one fan at the buttom above the CPU and one at the back sucking air out.

but if you feel more DIYer you can fit an extra 80mm fan on the other side of the PSU so will create a push and pull config for the PSU.
June 1, 2008 10:48:54 PM

First and foremost the more efficient the PSU the less power that is wasted as heat. This point is some where in the mid range of the power capacity of the PSU. The solution is to get a PSU that is more than 30% higher than your greatest need for your system power usage. Buy one of very high quality and that is rated 80% efficient or better.

Something to think about, the average computer system to day is like 4 100watt light bulbs burning all the time. The thing to do is vent it out side the living environment, especially if that living space is small.

When you add fans to the computer system all it will do is bring the heat out of the case and into the ambient environment faster.

Removal of heat from the ambient environment is the only solution.
June 2, 2008 12:01:47 AM

but i think he only asked for the coolest PSU and not to care about other stuff.
June 2, 2008 12:17:35 AM

I can't see changeing your PSU makeing your room any cooler so if that's what the question is give up now and shade that side of your house!

Now if your asking which PSU was enginiered to run the coolest while putting out a constant load -it's self- then that would be the PC Power & Cooling Silencer line.
June 2, 2008 2:29:12 AM

Yeah my PC Power and Cooling 750w never goes above 25c, so it is VERY cool.
a c 139 ) Power supply
June 2, 2008 2:53:17 AM

eod said:
what is the coolest running power supply you've come across?
Switching from a "hot" to a "cool" PSU may not change the temps in your room at all.
Everything else being equal, it's just that a "cool" running PSU is faster at getting rid of the heat (into your room) than a hot running PSU.

June 3, 2008 7:14:01 AM

You're wrong WR2. We're talking about power supplies that don't get so hot in the first place due to better design and higher efficiency.
a b ) Power supply
June 3, 2008 6:37:25 PM

If your PSU is hot, then I recommend replacing immediately. PSUs should not be hot. It could be an indication that your PSU is dying.

As a PSU ages it becomes less efficient and emits more heat. In addition, regardless of age, as components inside a PSU starts to fail it can also emit more heat.

Get something that is built by Seasonic such as the Seasonic's own S12 series (S12 500, S12 550, S12 650) or one of the following built by Seasonic:

Corsair 450VX, 520HX 620HX, 650TX
Antec Earthwatts series
PC Power & Cooling Silencer 610 or lower
June 3, 2008 7:16:18 PM

Seasonic builds the PC Power and Cooling 750w too, and it is as stable, and some claim more stable, than the 610w and he may want the extra power. Though I did not know the Earthwatt series was made by Seasonic too, hmm you learn something new every day I suppose.
June 3, 2008 7:16:22 PM

dont get any seasonic PSU.3 has fail with in 3 months.AVOID.corsair ones is pretty reputable.
June 3, 2008 7:17:18 PM

iluvgillgill makes a good point, even the best PSUs can fail, but thats not a reason to avoid seasonic, you just had bad luck.
a c 139 ) Power supply
June 3, 2008 7:24:08 PM

modtech said:
You're wrong WR2. We're talking about power supplies that don't get so hot in the first place due to better design and higher efficiency.
Then everything would NOT be equal. And Im not sure about that "better design and higher efficiency" equaling lower temps.
If that were true you wouldnt have test results similar to these where the less efficient PSU runs cooler:

For the OP's situation ideally he'd want a PSU that turned out test results similar to Silverstone Element ST EF50 Plus 500W

June 3, 2008 7:43:06 PM

basically the cooler it is means its more efficient.and how they do that?use of better quality component.

but does it really matter how hot or cold it is when you really care about is how hot are the CPU and GPU when OC.you are not gonna say because my PSU pump out 30C+ at the back that held you back from OC further.makes sense?
June 4, 2008 8:50:57 PM

Well, the power supply is a 430watt Thermaltake and I'm going to need to replace it eventually when I upgrade from my 7600 GT. I do know that the PSU runs a bit warmer than some of my other PCs. I work at a local PC store and we carry some of the Nspire PSUs that aren't too pricey and run pretty cool.
June 4, 2008 11:47:35 PM

The temps of the exhaust mean nothing. A hot PSU with a big high RPM fan will get rid of the heat it produces quickly maintaining an illusion of being cooler when the intake and exhaust are measured. I'm not saying how this should be tested but that is not a clear and distinct measure of heat output.

Imagine an overclocked Q6600 @ 3.6 on a notcua cpu cooler and measuring the exhaust temp shows unbelievably low temps while the same cpu with a stock fan will have scorching hot output.
a c 139 ) Power supply
June 5, 2008 3:58:05 AM

modtech said:
The temps of the exhaust mean nothing. A hot PSU with a big high RPM fan will get rid of the heat it produces
quickly maintaining an illusion of being cooler when the intake and exhaust are measured.

So you DO agree with my 06-01-2008 @ 07:53:17 PM post after all? Why did you say I was wrong in the first place?
[:wr2:2] " Everything else being equal, it's just that a "cool" running PSU is faster at getting rid of the heat (into your room) than a hot running
PSU. "

How did you figure out your PC Power and Cooling 750w Silencer PSU runs "insanely cool"?
June 5, 2008 4:00:38 AM

i dont get the point.as long as the PSU supply enough juice and stable.then what else you need to care about it?why not spend more time on CPU and ram?
June 5, 2008 3:57:08 PM

Because it has only one 80mm fan running at extremely low RPM and still manages to remain cool. I can not hear the fan unless I press my ear to the fan guard.
June 5, 2008 4:18:53 PM

Yeah and I know because I stuck a thermal meter in one of the vents for an hour, and it peaked at 25c.
a b ) Power supply
June 5, 2008 4:35:08 PM

iluvgillgill said:
dont get any seasonic PSU.3 has fail with in 3 months.AVOID.corsair ones is pretty reputable.

Ummm....

You do realize that Seasonic makes PSUs for Corsair.

All HX models, the 450VX, and I think all TX models.
June 5, 2008 4:42:54 PM

Alright. My solution:

I'm going to order a screen for my window, seeing that the PC is right next to the window. I have a small floor fan that I can sit to the side of the PC to blow the hot air in the direction of the window. I'll be leaving in two months due to the Air Force, so there's no need in purchasing a new AC unit for the window.

I may still check out a PC Power and Cooling or Silverstone because I need to up my PSU soon anyway.

Thanks guys.
June 5, 2008 4:49:16 PM

u know design of PSU is the same but the differ in the quality actually use in the product.so if Corsair pay more you get better quality product.
June 10, 2008 7:58:43 PM

Solution: 2 box fans

Remove side panel, place box fan in open hole.

Open window, place 2nd fan in open hole.

Turn both on.

So easy, even a caveman could do it. :) 
June 10, 2008 8:01:11 PM

i dont think a caveman would need a PSU or can make good use of it!LOL
June 10, 2008 8:05:19 PM

Well true, but I figured it was best to look at the lowest common denominator here: room temps. Just make the room cooler.
June 10, 2008 8:07:58 PM

or you could put the PSU outside the window if its cooler outside.but you will need to extend every single wire though!once i had put my whole PC outside my house.it was cool.but everytime i want to plug a USB in i need to go to the balcony!lol
June 10, 2008 8:11:01 PM

Hmmm...sounds like you could have an issue if it rained.
June 10, 2008 8:12:26 PM

no, rain is fine because the pc got shelter above it. but its the inconvinient i would say.plus outside could be dirtier and get more nasty stuff trapped.
June 10, 2008 11:02:21 PM

I have my Zalman 750w mounted upside down in my cosmos S pushing air through the filter directly from the room. Sometimes its how there mounted but if your PSU is heating up a whole room I'd suggest you look at it asap.
!