Sign in with
Your question

Antec Nine-Hundred Case

Last response: in Components
June 1, 2008 6:41:13 PM

I really like this case for it's size that I find jsut perfect! But...

• Will I have ANY trouble putting in any of the largest video cards around?

• Will I also have room to mount a 120mm fan on the Transparent Side panel at the same time as having a 9800GTX Video Card installed?

• Has anyone experienced difficulty connecting things while having the Power Supply sit on the bottom of the case??
  • More about : antec hundred case

a b ) Power supply
    a b U Graphics card
    June 1, 2008 7:05:17 PM

i've used that case before and it's a nightmare. Both side panels must be removed inorder to pull the drive cages out. The thumbscrews that hold the cages in place strip easy. Cable management int he case relies on tying the cables together and running them between the hard drives and the mobo. I think that this would make getting a 9800gtx in there difficult but not impossible. As long as the 9800gtx isn't taller then the pci brackets then using the side fan shouldn't be a problem.
    Related resources
    June 1, 2008 7:19:09 PM

Honestly I don't intend on opening the box very often, only to add a second Video Card, and I've always had to open both side-panels to unscrew things, that doesn't bother me for a bit. Although I do know many of the newer boxes have special 'latches' for it to be screwless. I really like the Idea of the drive cages, I've actually ordered a 3rd one, I won't have any drives in the PC {apart from hard-drives}, because I'll be using a USB Plextor DVD-RAM Drive. I've already planned to have all the cables sleeved with tubing. On my box though the cables are all neatly behind the drive cages. Nothing running between them though. When I'll start installing things I'll maybe see what you mean. But I've worked with smaller cases and fitted full-sized cards, havne't been scared to strip wires and rewire things either... so as long as the box itself can handle large sized cards, I'll manage!

It's somehow the only case for which I believe I can install 3 fan's at the front... :)  It's a little project of mine, I have this idea of how I want it to look. Thanks for the comments though! it's appreciated!
    June 1, 2008 7:24:34 PM

Blah, to be honest with you, it isn't an ugly case... but I've been seeing it around too much, I want something a little original, and on that one, the side panel fan only comes in blue. I want to have them all switched to green, and they don't make that special fan in green..

And I've already purchased the case.. ;) 
    June 1, 2008 7:44:30 PM

Its a great case. Im running my spider build in it and it keeps it all cool. I want green lights but the blue looks good too. I have a 3870 in it with lots of room. I find it easy to use and great air flow. I have 4 120s and the 200 on top plus the 120 on the PSU. So good luck with your build.
    June 1, 2008 7:46:10 PM

You could check out the antec 1200 it has 3 120s in front plus the drive bay on top.
    a c 144 ) Power supply
    a b U Graphics card
    June 1, 2008 7:50:00 PM

PsyKhiqZero said:
    i've used that case before and it's a nightmare. Both side panels must be removed inorder to pull the drive cages out. The thumbscrews that hold the cages in place strip easy. Cable management int he case relies on tying the cables together and running them between the hard drives and the mobo. I think that this would make getting a 9800gtx in there difficult but not impossible. As long as the 9800gtx isn't taller then the pci brackets then using the side fan shouldn't be a problem.

He's pretty much right about a lot of the objectionable details. I do not agree with the overall assessment, though.

"Both side panels ..." True. I do not regard that as a real problem. Behind the rightside panel is where I try to put unused PSU cables.

"The thumbscrews ..." Don't know. Haven't removed the drive cages that often.

Cable management IS a problem.

I have a 640 MB eVGA 8800GTS in my case. A GTX would fit if the middle drive cage is empty.

Also - it is not a toolless design. Not a problem. I have plenty of screwdrivers.

It does not have a removeable motherboard tray. This is a feature that I do like.

The big plus is excellent cooling.
    a b U Graphics card
    June 1, 2008 8:00:21 PM

I like the 900, I use it in the gaming computers I sell. It will fit a 9800GTX I'm sre, There is tons of room with the 8800GTSs I use.I don't know about having a fan on the side, but the case has a LOT of airflow, so I wouldn't worry about it. The only PSU problem I've had is the 4 pin connector has to stretch awkwardly across the MB, at least on the P5N-D. It reaches but it isn't the most attractive considering there's a window. It's trivial really, I just like a "wireless" look.
    June 1, 2008 8:02:23 PM

Yes, and the only part that I was 'worried' about was the video card space... but i will maybe have 2 hard-drives at most. And as I said earlier, I am adding a drive cage to have 3 front 120mm fans instead of 2... No 5,25" drives will be present.

And no tools do not scare me at all..! :) 

I might eventually switch to an Antec Twelve-Hundred if ever I plan on putting more things in the system. But for now I think there will be enough space for 2 9800GTX's, which really are the only space hungry things...
    a b U Graphics card
    June 1, 2008 8:04:16 PM

jsc said:

I have a 640 MB eVGA 8800GTS in my case. A GTX would fit if the middle drive cage is empty.

True. There is a fan holder thing that you have to remove to fix the 8800 cards in there. I haven't needed to remove a cage, but there's space for many drives, so it shouldn't be a problem to remove one.
    June 1, 2008 8:07:28 PM

Thanks for the tips 'kad', but those boxes look pretty bland really. I don't know if you've read from the start, but my whole idea is to have nothing at the front of my PC, I only want to see 3 120mm Green fans, no DVD or CD drives... and those cases look real bland and boring as well, the case I own now is a low budget one and looks better! :p 

I'm not really looking for tips on what cases to purchase... I've ALREADY purchased it, it's right next to me, I'll be putting things in it starting this week..

But thanks anyways, I appreciate your ideas! same goes to all of you!
    June 1, 2008 8:09:49 PM

but does the 8800GTS have some sort of metal pipe sticking out from the top?? because the 9800GTX doesn't.

My older X1950PRO had this metal pipe sticking out from the top of the card which stopped me from putting ANY sort of fan on my previous case, but this case is wider and the 9800GTX doesn't have that metal 'thing' sticking out.
    a b ) Power supply
    a b U Graphics card
    June 1, 2008 8:22:12 PM

oh btw godspeed have a magnetic tip screw driver handy. not the kind that have the removable tip. a straight up magnetic screwdriver with a shaft at least 3 inches long. I know it's standard in most PC guys tool box but thought i'd give you the heads up. It will help alot when you have to put the HDD in the cages.

Also loosen both drive cage and push them out a bit as you install the mobo and hookup the wires. the last thing you should do before you put the side panels back on is push the cages back in and fasten them into place.
    June 1, 2008 8:34:04 PM

godspeed7 said:
    Thanks for the tips 'kad', but those boxes look pretty bland really. I don't know if you've read from the start, but my whole idea is to have nothing at the front of my PC, I only want to see 3 120mm Green fans, no DVD or CD drives... and those cases look real bland and boring as well, the case I own now is a low budget one and looks better! :p 

I'm not really looking for tips on what cases to purchase... I've ALREADY purchased it, it's right next to me, I'll be putting things in it starting this week..

Congrads
    Best luck with your pic
    Waiting for some photos
    :hello: 
    June 1, 2008 8:51:17 PM

thanx guys- i have an antec 900 case and just bought a 9800gtx and was wondering the same things...
    June 1, 2008 8:59:33 PM

Personally I hate this case. Does that mean I'm crazy? It just doesn't have the features a gaming case should have.
    June 1, 2008 9:23:33 PM

godspeed7 said:

I have this case and I am very happy with it. Cable management was not that big a deal. Check out my pics.

June 1, 2008 11:31:42 PM

oh neat! The bottom picture is a little blurry though, I see you have a fan on the side panel, i think your video card is of about the same height as a 9800GTX, and it fits!?

Do you usually have the fans running at fastest? How's the noise output?
    June 1, 2008 11:43:58 PM

Only bearable on low. Anyone who claims or thinks that med or high have acceptable noise output levels is seriously off their rocker.
    June 1, 2008 11:52:12 PM

Yeah, I'm not much with a camera. Notice that I painted the inside of the case semi-gloss black, but did not paint where the side panel rails attach. I wanted to make sure it still sealed good. My bottom front fan for the hard drives is set on low, the front fan at the top is set on low and the internal fan behind it is set on low. Those two fans suck air straight to the Zalman 9700 cooler. The top 200mm fan is set on medium. The side fan, which blows on the video card and the rear exhaust fan are set on high but controlled by the motherboard. I sat right by the case and can hardly hear the fans at stock speed. I have my Zalman 9700 cpu cooler controlled by the fanmate controller and it is mounted on the right side of the case where I can reach over and adjust the speed. When I load my OC profile which is set at 3.6GHz FSB1600, the two fans connected to the motherboard go to full speed and I increase the cpu fan to 2400rpm's and everything is fairly cool(cpu 58c under load)you can hear those fans but still not that bad. I have not had to increase the other fans as of yet.
    June 1, 2008 11:55:51 PM

The video card is the VisionTek HD3870 512MB OC version with a dual slot cooler.
    June 2, 2008 12:16:46 AM

jsc said:
    He's pretty much right about a lot of the objectionable details. I do not agree with the overall assessment, though.

"Both side panels ..." True. I do not regard that as a real problem. Behind the rightside panel is where I try to put unused PSU cables.

"The thumbscrews ..." Don't know. Haven't removed the drive cages that often.

Cable management IS a problem.

Also - it is not a toolless design. Not a problem. I have plenty of screwdrivers.

It does not have a removeable motherboard tray. This is a feature that I do like.

The big plus is excellent cooling.

i personally have this case and i totally agree with the quoted message and all its flaws, but imo, i think the case is awesome. i have the two front 120mm fans running, one side panel 120mm, one 120mm in the middle hardrive bay running to help with the airflow over the 3870x2 and the NB. and the one 120mm exhaust fan. so total of five 120mm fans running, and the big 200mm fan on top. there's room for the biggest gfx cards out there, hence why the 3870x2 fits. it is true that this is a not a tool-less case and the wirings can get a little bit messy, but i've seem custom jobs of people cutting out holes on the back to the panel where the motherboard sits on and reroute all their wirings to the back and its pretty much flawless. if you're willing to put effort into your wirings because you love your computer so much. you WILL NOT BE DISAPPOINTED! here's a link so people can see what the antec 900 can look like with given time and effort.

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=12...

my wirings are kinda messy atm, jes because i haven't had time to do them over again. i have all my case fans set on high, and i sleep next to this thing every night when i download. so im 6 inches to 1 feet away from it. i also have a zalman 9700, but i set that to low when i sleep. i honestly don't think this case is loud at all...its perfectly fine to me, altho it is audible, but not too much that it would be a bother. you do have to remove both the back panel and the front fanel for the thumbscrews so you can readjust the hardrive bays if you need. honestly i had a lot of fun working with this case and all around, it is one of the nicest cases you'll find. the airflow is unmatched, it isn't this popular for no reason at all.

so i guess to answer your questions

1. i don't think you will have any trouble fitting the newest largest video cards, 3870x2 is pretti damn big and heavy last time i checked.

2.i mounted my side panel fan just fine, i don't think you'll have trouble either.

3.PSU cables were not a problem for me at all, i have a Antec TPQ 850w. in the link of pix i showed you, if people are able to reroute the PSU cables to the back of the MB panel, i think you should be fine.
    June 2, 2008 12:35:53 AM

I had never thought of the whole rewiring process... now I'm thinking about it like crazy!!
    As soon as I get the motherboard I will be checking this out and making my personalized adjustments. I think it's more fun when you can do work on it yourself, then you can feel proud and tell others all about your nice modded case without 1001 wires all over the place!

Thank you so much for those pics/link!
    June 2, 2008 12:41:48 AM

yea :)  no prob. just wanted to show you how a true antec 900 should look like :D 

happy and have fun building! i will rewire my antec 900 case soon too. im uber jealous of those superb wirings...

and i wholehearted agree with you, when you put time and effort into the computer you love, it means all the difference in the world.
    June 2, 2008 12:59:11 AM

currently im having trouble with gpu cooling. my second graphics card sits at the bottom right above the psu with maybe a centimeter gap. after about 1 hr gaming it overheats. will be installing the side panel fan soon but its just to damn close to the psu for my liking
    June 2, 2008 1:29:52 AM

My case is the newer Antec 900 rev. 2 which already had some access holes built in for routing HDD cables and ODD cables. But after seeing the photos of the case that aznguy0028 posted I am going to dive back in and clean mine up a little more.
    June 2, 2008 1:42:23 AM

Where do you see what version you have?

At the bottom of the box I see: NINE HUNDRED V1.1

June 2, 2008 2:53:03 AM

Maybe it isn't 2.0, I know it is the second version of the case, so I guess it could be V1.1.
    June 2, 2008 10:53:32 PM

the original one doesn't have any 'special' holes for cables? 'cause mine has 2 near the drive cages...
    June 2, 2008 11:15:37 PM

Yes, that's the one I have also.
    June 3, 2008 3:54:57 AM

Yeah, I figure that if I've jsut purchased it it should be the latest revision!..

Think I could find a firmware update for it over the net?? ;) 
    June 3, 2008 4:24:37 AM

I use an EVGA 750I SLI FTW motherboard with this case, and while I definitely don't think I have had a negative experience I will admit that if you have a rather wide motherboard (which I do) SATA connectors flipped sideways the case/motherboard combination can be a little awkward in that regard.

On the whole though, I find it to be a non issue.
    a c 144 ) Power supply
    a b U Graphics card
    June 3, 2008 1:28:18 PM

modtech said:
    Only bearable on low. Anyone who claims or thinks that med or high have acceptable noise output levels is seriously off their rocker.

Oh, yes, indeed. Low is quiet. Medium is "acceptable" - if you are hard of hearing. High sounds like a freaking vacuum cleaner sitting on your desk.
    June 4, 2008 3:34:54 AM

dallasjoh said:
    Maybe it isn't 2.0, I know it is the second version of the case, so I guess it could be V1.1.

to my knowledge and the antec 900 i have, revision 1.1 is the newest one. it has two holes for a water cooling system on the back of the case, close to where the expansion slots are. :)  hope that cleared some things up.
    June 4, 2008 9:43:34 PM

Yes that is the one I am having, I was even thinking of maybe going for water cooling in a few months when I have an SLI configuration..

What are your views? Does water cooling affect the PC enough to explain the cost? {Considering the Case is pretty good for air cooling as well..}
    a b ) Power supply
    a b U Graphics card
    June 5, 2008 4:57:00 AM

Personally I couldn't justify water cooling for simply overclocking. Sure it's better but with the performance of modern day air coolers it just not worth the price.

Water cooling is good for larger cases with minimum airflow (cosmos r1000) IMO because it dumps heat outside of the case. I don't see a smaller case with as many fans as the nine hundred really benefitting much from that.
    June 5, 2008 3:59:33 PM

The costs of water cooling usually outweigh the benefits. But wait, that's not the point. Water cooling is for enthusiasts, it's not some calculated, rational, low maintenance solution (widespread WC'ed data centers?).
    I was put off from buying the cosmos RC-1000 for this very reason. Instead I'm going for a airflow friendly case like the TT armor.
    a b ) Power supply
    a b U Graphics card
    June 6, 2008 1:28:27 AM

I love my RC-100 and I actually run it aircooled. I think alot of people underestamate how good the airflow is in it though. I can tell you that the front and bottom of my case are always getting dusty letting me know the negative pressure means of cooling the case works.

When I had a nine hundred i couldn't believe the amount of air flowing inside. i could put my hand anywhere inside the case a feel a breeze.

However i agree modtech nothing states the size of your E-PEEN like watercooling.
    June 6, 2008 2:04:28 AM

I see, so unless I we're to do a massive overclocking, there is no point in it.

Thanks guys, I was jsut wondering, I've always achieved very cool temperatures with air cooling, you just need to know how much air comes in and have the equvalent go out for oprtimal performance...
    June 6, 2008 10:56:43 PM

Well the weight of the RC-1000 also put me off. I'm getting the aluminum armor because of the reduced weight. If it doesn't turn out well I'll go back to using steel cases but half weight is too good to pass.
    June 7, 2008 9:30:39 PM

Bah, if I we're to be moving the computer around alot maybe I would care more, seeing as how it stays in place all the time, I don't really care for how lightweight it is, well I mean if it comes lightwieght, great, but I won't specifically go for it because of the weight.. know what I mean?
    !