Realtek sound manager goes crazy and a BSOD comes up shortly after

Dewey

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2008
Hello, first of all sorry if this is in the wrong section, couldn't find a better one :D So here is my problem - this happens quite rarely (two times in three days to be exact), but it's kinda annoying and it worries me. When i play a game (and quit afterwards) the Realtek sound manager is open and keeps redetecting my speakers (you know, that "please shut down any applications using sound" - or something similar - window). The problem is, when I press OK and it redetects it, it does the same thing over and over. And when i start shutting down programs before restarting - WHAM - Blue screen of death with reason MACHINE_CHECK_EXCEPTION. I read this is hardware related, so I was wondering if there is something wrong with the motherboard. PC specs:

M/B: ASUS A8N-SLI SE
RAM: 2x512MB KINGSTON
CPU: AMD Athlon 64 3200+
GPU: Gigabyte nVidia GeForce 9600GT 512MB GDDR3 (new)
HDD: 200GB Samsung SP2004C
PSU: Fortron SAGA 450w (new)

I also have a TV tuner installed - Gigabyte GT-PTV-AF-RH

So, can anyone help me about this? :sweat:

Dewey

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2008
Ok, update... I finally managed to get a picture of what the BSOD says... here we go: MACHINE_CHECK_EXCEPTION ; the error is:

STOP: 0x0000009C (0x00000004 0x805463F0 0xB2000000 0x00070F0F)

Drivers don't seem to help

Narprofiler

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2008
I seem to be getting this same problem. For me, it happens when I'm playing a full-screen game or program that simply has audio output. If I'm browsing Youtube or the like, it doesn't seem to trigger the MCE BSOD.

Differences in specs: I have an SLI -Deluxe and am using 6600 GeForce series nVidia cards (dual GPU / CPU).

My problem extends to disabling my LAN networking capabilities as well once the sound effect manager appears (so this may not be related entirely), and the GUI for the effect manager appears to not have loaded completely (buttons missing / nonresponsive).