DDR400 problems (adding new memory)

BigWoop

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2008
I've tried adding a ddr400 512mb stick to my existing 512mb.

I have a soltek sl-kt600-rl board, which supports ddr400 up to 3gb with three slots.

When I first added the extra 512, it registered at the POST screen, but when logging into windows my system just rebooted. I have tried swapping the modules around all over the place, but that didn't help. Now My system wont boot with the second module in at all.

Both modules are functional, the one I added running in another system, the first one running in my system right now.

They are different manufacturers, my original is a TwinMOS DDR400 CL2.5, and the second one I tried to add is Hynix DDR400 CL3. I noticed the different CL ratings and set CL in my BIOS manually to 3 as well as setting the frequency to 400MHz, but that didn't help.

Does this sound like standard compatibility issues? What's my best bet for getting a module to run with my TwinMOS? The Hynix is my brother's and I was just "testing it", I'm wanting to buy an extra module for myself see.

P.S. there is a setting in my BIOS called SDRAM interleave, would this have any bearing on the problem?

blackwidow_rsa

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2007
Unplug your pc, press the power button, fans may start for a second. Take out the cmos battery and leave it out for 5mins and put back or so and if you know how to reset the bios using the jumper do that too with the system off. Then replug and start her up and see if it works

BigWoop

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2008
Should have said so, but I tried clearing the CMOS with jumper, didn't actually remove the battery but it did reset the CMOS.

After that is when it stopped booting with the second module at all.

blackwidow_rsa

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2007
Boot with the single memory and go into bios and put the memory voltage at 2.6v or +0.1v, which ever option there is (i think the default is 2.5v?). Also update your bios, it could improve memory issues, but do it before you add the voltage. If that doesn't work... I don't know :p
oh! If there is AUTO settings in the bios for ram timings use that or add 1 to all the timings eg. Cas 3 -> 4.

BigWoop

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2008
I have updated my BIOS to the latest already, and had tried putting CAS up to 3.

Will try the voltage thing, what's the likelyhood that that much overvoltage could do damage?

BigWoop

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2008
Maybe, anyways I re tried setting CAS to 3 then putting the stick back in, and my PC wouldn't boot, not for like an hour after I removed it aswell.

I spent ages twiddling with my PC before I got it back on, so I give up, it's not going to work and I'm over it.